Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• axle upgrade

I am going to put 35's on my jeep which is a 99 sahara but i want to upgrade the axles. i am a total noob to this axle upgrade whats the best way at going at this. and the least expensive.
    99' TJ Sahara 4inch Fab Tech 31inch X-Terrains

What axle do you have in the rear now, D35 or D44? we'll start there.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

35 im pretty sure and 30 in front

Comment

If it were me I would ditch the D35 and get a D44. The D30 is plenty strong unless you are stupid with the throttle. If you want more strength in the front, get a HP D30. for Gears I would get 4.88's and ARB's for lockers. I guess it all depends on what you plan on doing with your Jeep.
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

so how can i get dana 44's? from another jeep or what, remember im a noob.

Comment

The HP 30 can be had from an earlier (80 somethings to mid 90's I think) cherokee (XJ). You can get a D44 from a junk yard out of another TJ (any year should work 97-present). When looking for a D44, just check the fill plug...rubber plug D35, metal plug D44 (it screws in).
            04 Rubicon
            4.5" RE Super Flex
            1" BL
            CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
            Currie Anti-rock swaybar
            35" el cheapos
            Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

how can i find a accurate reading of my splines? i just want to do this right and not guess

Comment

Originally posted by denten
                I am going to put 35's on my jeep which is a 99 sahara but i want to upgrade the axles. i am a total noob to this axle upgrade whats the best way at going at this. and the least expensive.
                You can keep the D35 and install 30 spline shafts, sold as a Super 35. I believe on a TJ the axle tube diameters are identical D44 and D35, but I stand to be corrected

The only less desirable feature of the D35 is the C clip axle retainer.

For a locker take a look at the Detroit. It is reliable, strong and cheap. The nice feature of ARBs is the ability to switch in and out. Nice, but in my mind not worth the money or the lower reliability.

BTW I run a super D35, detroit, 4.56, Yukon alloy shafts with 35s. I do tough trails: up to 4.5 rock humpers and I haven't broke it yet. I am careful with the loud pedal though.

If I could do it *all* over again, I would go with a Ford 8.8"
                "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by denten
                  how can i find a accurate reading of my splines? i just want to do this right and not guess
                  Match your rear end up to one of the ones on this page, should be a Dana 44, but maybe not....

jeeptech axle

and then it's as simple as 27 splines on a Dana 35 and 30 splines on a dana 44. BTW Aston's correct, TJ dana 44's have the same axle tube wall thickness as a dana 35, so basically a factory super 35 with out a locker! I also run the super 35 kit with 30 splines and am yet to bend it! (I'm trying)
                  Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Andy
                    BTW Aston's correct
                    Couldn't have put it better myself :yay:
                    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

you guys are all smoking some good stuff...
                      while the axle tube thickness might be the same on a 35 and a 44, the dana 30 snaps 1st at the splines on the safts. when you upgrade that, they snap at the spider gears or carrier. When you go the the "super" 35 kit, they snap at the MUCH smaller ring gear.

lets review.
                      d-35 has weaker axle shafts, carrier, spider gears, ring and pinion, and smaller carrier bearings.
                      theres NOTHING you can do to upgrade the ring and pinion.
                      the d-35 and d-44 share the same axle tubes and brakes.

I agree that you can upgrade the dana 30 to hold of to moderate wheeling, but eventually I broke the 7" ring gear in that too.
                      It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

If I could do it *all* over again, I would go with a Ford 8.8"
                        That is the only thing you need to know

The more that I read about the 8.8 I wish I would have gone that route and still might in the future. Of course dumping a D44 with 4.56, ARB, chromy shafts and disc breaks is going to be hard to do.

I *think* you can do the Ford 8.8 for the same prices or close to it of going with a Super35 and disc brake upgrade. I have heard good stuff about this company and there 8.8s http://www.ok4wd.com/product.asp?id=547

If you really want a 44, get me a 8.8 with 4.56s ARB ready to bolt in and you can have mine
                        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by Elusive
                          you guys are all smoking some good stuff...
                          while the axle tube thickness might be the same on a 35 and a 44, the dana 30 snaps 1st at the splines on the safts. when you upgrade that, they snap at the spider gears or carrier. When you go the the "super" 35 kit, they snap at the MUCH smaller ring gear.
                          But then some jeeps just need a little help, not a lottle help, in the axle strength department! Sometimes Bolt on mods are all that's needed. Otherwise we'd all be running Chrisman 45 spline rearends and 40 spline fronts....just messing with you, I understand where your coming from but my point was rather why install a TJ dana 44 when you could go out and buy a better rearend for less money, Like an Isuzu dana 44 or Ford 8.8. Aston is still correct..... as are all Brits. And no you can't have any of the stuff i'm smoking!
                          Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Andy
                            I understand where your coming from but my point was rather why install a TJ dana 44 when you could go out and buy a better rearend for less money, Like an Isuzu dana 44 or Ford 8.8. !
                            Ease of installation. Plus, IIRC, an Isuzu is 5 lug. So that means its either an axle swap (to 5 on 4.5) or a wheel upgrade, and weld on brackets. The F8.8 isnt bad either and but needs the brackets welded on, by a competent welder. So, if you want to buy a stronger axle and shove it in there the same day you buy it, the TJ D44 is the way to go.
                            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                              Ease of installation. Plus, IIRC, an Isuzu is 5 lug. So that means its either an axle swap (to 5 on 4.5) or a wheel upgrade, and weld on brackets. The F8.8 isnt bad either and but needs the brackets welded on, by a competent welder. So, if you want to buy a stronger axle and shove it in there the same day you buy it, the TJ D44 is the way to go.
                              I agree, bolt in is good, I run the Super 35 kit, but with a TJ of course you have the option of a bolt in super 35 which would be a TJ dana 44. I still hold firm that for superior strength you need to upgrade to a housing assembly as well. But that all depends on the type of wheeling you do!

Comment

Working...
                              X