Just get one of these thingys and be done with it :gun:
    ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
    00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
    97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_L
      Just get one of these thingys and be done with it :gun:
      that would take care of it! Is that shaved?
      Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Yep. HP shaved 60.
        00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
        97zj ON 36'S SOLD

Comment

nope... I broke the ring gear TWICE in my HP 60 rear
          It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Damn...how did that happen?
            What kind of drive train?
            Last edited by Chris_L; 04-25-05, 01:11 PM.
            00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
            97zj ON 36'S SOLD

Comment

drivetrain was a 4.6 stroker, nv4500, atlas and 5.38 gears. Broke the first one in MonEagle, TN broke the second one in Tellico.
              I'm not a big fan of reverse cut gears in the rear anymore. I put a full size ring gear in and didn't have any more problems. I think the one in the pic happened because the bottom of the dynatrac housing got pushed ino it. The next one only lasted about a month though.. and the teeth were broke clean off.

BTW, the isuzu is a 6 lug axle. it comes with either 4.10 or 4.30 gears and was availavble with disk brakes after 1995.
              I'd take a stock TJ 44 over a super 35..you can upgrade the 44.

Comment

Well that's pretty impressive. Mine is a currie unit, 35 spline, shaved etc. arb 4.88's. I have run most of the trails at JV with out issue. Maybe the auto is little more forgiving than the manual.
                00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                97zj ON 36'S SOLD

Comment

if only u knew how confused i was. i was looking at some axles online at the rockshop or something like that and i found some. but it then said it wont work for 27 spline so now im even more confused. all i want to do is find a cheap way to upgrade my axles so my 35's wont snap my stock ones. the only thing i understood was upgrade to buying a bolt on axle housing and all, get dana 44, and no matter what i do really rings or something is going to break lol. can someone just give me a simple answer of how to do this. i want to spend less than 400 or close to it. thx =p
                  99' TJ Sahara 4inch Fab Tech 31inch X-Terrains

Comment

"i want to spend less than 400 or close to it. thx =p"

axle upgrades don't come cheap.
                    If you do not plan to offroad it and you are just trying to get your jeep looking cool, I'd say regear the d-35 and hope for the best... but you cant even BUY the parts you need for $400..much less get them installed.
                    you could possibly find a pair of axles from a 4cylinder jeep and swap them in. They have better gears than your 6 cylinder axles do, and if you sell the axles you have, the cost difference will be small....thought you still won't have a very strong rear axle.
                    Otherwise you are looking at about $1000 no matter which axle upgrade you look at.

Comment

i plan to go offroading more when i get bigger tires. my friend told me to go and buy the warn hub conversion kit thing. i looked at it and im not sure what that really does for u. it was the 5 to 5.5 kit. i know i can get hubs, but what else can it do?
                      99' TJ Sahara 4inch Fab Tech 31inch X-Terrains

Comment

axle upgrades don't come cheap.
                        x2

I can not think of a single axle upgrade that cost under $400. A set of ring and pinions (for front and rear since they have to match) with install kits cost close to $400. You need to be thinking at least $4000 to get decent axles to run 35s. And thats not even thinking about putting lockers in them.
                        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by denten
                          i plan to go offroading more when i get bigger tires. my friend told me to go and buy the warn hub conversion kit thing. i looked at it and im not sure what that really does for u. it was the 5 to 5.5 kit. i know i can get hubs, but what else can it do?
                          You can get it in 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, that's what my kit is. in hindsight I'd have probably saved the money I spent on the kit and the alloy axle upgrade and bought a pair of dana 44's and still only spent the same amount of money.

However, i've run the kit for 4 years with no issues, repacked the bearings 3 times (which is one of the main advantages with it having servicable bearings) and it seems to be holding up pretty well, even with my abuse.
                          Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Axle swaps - Just did mine this weekend

Hey, remember me with the little khaki stocker at Calico?? Now we're ridin' on 35's.

I just did the D44 swap in this weekend. It's a direct bolt-in even with all new arms and everything. The SYE was a bit of a challenge, but it's back on the road today. I worked on it for about 25 hours over the last weekend.

I got a new housing with 4.10's and ARB to run 35's. It was way less than $2G;s plus a replacement D30 with gears already set up in it. I got that one for $200. So while I was doing all the lift and stuff it was nothin' to swap in the complete axles. They're all painted and shiney and shiaat too.

I have to say, the 44 is hell for stout and a super easy bolt in even with swapping the brakes over. I can lock up all fours no sweat, but if I find the drums don't work well enough I can bolt on some disks. I was told if it'll stop a trailer that wieghs a ton surely it will stop four big tires. Seems to drive great.

All in all I'm really pleased with how it's turned out. I'll post some pics soon - I just bought an upgrade to the site.

BTW, a ok4wd ford axle is over a grand with TJ mounts welded on. It is a little heavier duty though and comes with disc brakes. But alas, I just wanted a 44 because it's well, just Jeep.

I'm not spending any money on the front 30 either. Maybe drop a aussie in there, but if it breaks I'll just get a HP or a 44 for up front as well.

Comment

I have the 8.8 with a detroit and 456's it was the strongest and cheapest way to go . That link above to OK has some great deals on ready to go 8.8s.
                              The only drawback I hve encountered is the slight offset of the Pumkin. With my3 inch lift and 33s I used he stock drive shaft and a conversion Universal joint. Curry supplied the ujoint and flange adapter. Currie also supplied the E brake conversion, very simple to install.

Now I have installed a RELA lift and have a slight vibration. I am having a double CV driveshaft fabricated, i will install this on friday. This should cure the problem.
                              The 8.8 is stronger , cheaper, and you get disk brakes. The axle tube is huge compared to the danas. I also welded the joints for added strength.
                              456's 2 lockers 4 disc brakes 8.8 lots of skid plates

Comment

$4000, the wife's never gonna buy off on that one.

Michael, sometimes you depress the crap right outa me.

Originally posted by nagal
                                x2

I can not think of a single axle upgrade that cost under $400. A set of ring and pinions (for front and rear since they have to match) with install kits cost close to $400. You need to be thinking at least $4000 to get decent axles to run 35s. And thats not even thinking about putting lockers in them.
                                Last edited by USMC 0369; 05-12-05, 04:21 AM. Reason: misspelled MichAEl's name
                                [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                                Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                                X