Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the Altas 4-speed?
    You'll love it, but don't necessarily need it. Was originally my first choice, but due to a 1 year wait ended up with a 2 speed 5:1 case which has worked very well for me. It will split your 5 speed trans in to a 10 speed when used in lo and hi range the gearing works out very well with it

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
      You'll love it, but don't necessarily need it. Was originally my first choice, but due to a 1 year wait ended up with a 2 speed 5:1 case which has worked very well for me. It will split your 5 speed trans in to a 10 speed when used in lo and hi range the gearing works out very well with it
      Thanks Art. I plan to call AA tomorrow and discuss the options and cost. When I last spoke to them, they said that they had a 4 week wait, but they didn't say if that was for 2-speed or 4-speed.

Based on what I have read so far, It sounds like I will need to lengthen the rear drive shaft if I go with either type of Atlas. Is that true?
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Most likely and that's actually a good thing.

Comment

Most likely and that's actually a good thing.
          True. But it is one more thing that I would have to do before the Rubicon trip in August....
          I'm down to a choice of a 241 or the Atlas (preferably 4-speed). My call to Atlas tomorrow may be the deciding factor.

So, Fun Fact,
          When a TerrorLow takes a :poop:, you get some very interesting science projects. Let's see how much shaved metal is attached to the filtering magnet:

Interesting... That is about an Ounce of steel flakes stuck to that!

So if the magnet is doing it's job so effectively, the filter should be clear, right?

NOT!:

That is mostly brass flakes and some chunks, but there were several needle bearings under the filter.

Just for fun, I collected some of the stuff that I found in the case. This is probably 2/3rd of the total junk:

I am still not done re-assembling the 231 because I can't get all of the flakes off of the remaining parts. I used 4 cans of brake cleaner and I am still not done. I am guessing three more cans are needed. I had to trash the work gloves because they were permeated with brass flakes. It's like freaking glitter!

Fun with TerrorLows! Can't wait to get a REAL T/C!

[/COLOR]

Comment

Well, I made up my mind finally!
            Thank you for all the advice and suggestions. I really love the neighborhood on MJR. You folks ROCK!

I just ordered an Atlas 4-speed (1:1, 2.72, 4.3, 11.7). Estimated delivery is around July 22nd or before.

[/COLOR]

Comment

That's really Cool. now 60,14 bolt and LS6.
              IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

You know it's a slippery slope, once it starts----------------------}

Comment

Art I never thought you and Fred would make it this long without a V8.
                  IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Well, it takes coin, but it will eventually happen, that or some kind of nice light V6

Comment

Yeah, all those changes will happen someday. Still looking for the coins that Art is talking about.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Congrats Mike, I am jealous and happy for you.

Comment

Mike, with what size yokes did you order it? I hope 1350? you can always have the axle ends made with 1310 slip yokes, so when you upgrade axles you just change slip yokes to a bigger size.
                          This is what happens when you get rambunctious with 1310 u joints

Comment

Mike, with what size yokes did you order it? I hope 1350? you can always have the axle ends made with 1310 slip yokes, so when you upgrade axles you just change slip yokes to a bigger size.
                            This is what happens when you get rambunctious with 1310 u joints
                            Ha! Totally picking up what you are putting down, Art!
                            I did go with the 1310 yokes, but it is only to get me through until I can upgrade the driveshafts to the toughest thing that I can find. I want to run the Rubicon 3 weeks after the Atlas install, so I am going for the 'best fit' for now.

I doubt that I can use the 11.7:1 with my current set up, but I also doubt that I will need it on the 'Con.

This is going to be a slow upgrade, but I will build a better drivetrain and suspension. Until then, I will need to manage with what I have.

But I am totally open to opinions on what I need to run 42's.....

[/COLOR]

Comment

unless i missed it, i did not see any mention of the Rubicrawler...i am ready to replace axles and install a new TC but was wondering if the rubicrawler is contender. Im thinking an Atlas 2 may be overkill for me.

Does any one have experience with the Rubicrawler?

Comment

AA sent me some info on the Rubicrawler when they shipped the Atlas. I'll take a peek at it tonight when I get home ans see what kind of info that they shared.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                                X