X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 241OR is a very good t-case, IMO
    holes = cowbell

Comment

In my Jeep is the NV3550, Atlas 5-1 and 4.88's. 5th gear low range is around 12 mph. No issue with rolling shifts from low to high. Twin stick is fun with the ARB's. I've got a 1" body lift with a Nth* flat skid and no contact with the tub. In low range rear drive only, 1st gear engine idling, foot heavy on the brake pedal, front tires will skid.

Steve
      All slow and no show

Comment

Mike I put the 241 in my jeep and it was a direct bolt in. Didn't change the drive shafts, just the yokes.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

I had Brothers put a Rubicon 4:1 in my Jeep a few months ago - it uses the same drive shafts. I can't tell any difference in it and the 231, except, of course the lower gearing. No gear noise at all.

The only problem is it has a terrible fluid leak where it mounts up to the trans. Trying to get it back to the shop.
          Last edited by mkjeepers; 06-05-13, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            I think that you are going to have coach me through how to do that. I'm not sure what that entails.

That's the one from the Rubicon right? What's your thoughts on it?
            The link I posted 4 the gear calculator will show atlas 4 speed gearing. The 4 speed got redone so it uses a 241 planetary and as far as I know it uses the oil pump so you can flat tow it. Check with Advance adapters.
            I love my 5:1, 2 speed Atlas but you would have to disconnect the driveshaft when flat towing

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
              The link I posted 4 the gear calculator will show atlas 4 speed gearing. The 4 speed got redone so it uses a 241 planetary and as far as I know it uses the oil pump so you can flat tow it. Check with Advance adapters.
              I love my 5:1, 2 speed Atlas but you would have to disconnect the driveshaft when flat towing
              Thanks Art. I'll call Advanced Adapters to discuss. Is the Underdrive section the 4-speed?

Thanks everyone for adding the 241OR as an option. it sounds like a viable option. Any idea on where to source one and at what kind of cost?

Also, 50yj sent me another forum's thread that had both a love/hate going for the 4-speed. I guess they had a rough beginning but are improved now. But the thing that grabbed me was that in the deepest gearing, you can pretzel both driveshafts if you get hard bound-up. Any experience or thoughts with that?
              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
              [/COLOR]

Comment

you will rarely run "low, low". As long as you don't drive like a rodeo clown you should be fine. Is your tranny a manual or auto?

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
                  you will rarely run "low, low". As long as you don't drive like a rodeo clown you should be fine. Is your tranny a manual or auto?
                  Most "trannys" are men... Just sayin
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

and you know from experience??

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
                      and you know from experience??
                      He might, he was in the Navy.

The transmission is an AX-15 Manual. At this point, I am thinking that I will keep it for a while. The crawl ratios with the deep T/C gears are impressive.

[/COLOR]

Comment

He might, he was in the Navy.
                        Correction, Marines. Gotta backup my fellow Leatherneck.

The transmission is an AX-15 Manual. At this point, I am thinking that I will keep it for a while. The crawl ratios with the deep T/C gears are impressive.
                        An easy swap is the NSG370. It'll drop your 1st gear from 3.83 to 4.46. 2nd to fourth add roughly .25 each and OD goes from .79 to .84 - making it a bit easier to push bigger tires at highway speeds.
                        God forgives, rocks don't
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                          Correction, Marines. Gotta backup my fellow Leatherneck.
                          Actually Ted, Kurt was a Navy Diver, I'm 99.999% sure. Nick (his life-mate) is the Jarhead. :wink:

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                          An easy swap is the NSG370. It'll drop your 1st gear from 3.83 to 4.46. 2nd to fourth add roughly .25 each and OD goes from .79 to .84 - making it a bit easier to push bigger tires at highway speeds.
                          This is a sweet option! Did a quick search and this might be an option for a future swap. But for now, I want to only change the T/C. I need a quick swap so that I can hit the Rubicon in mid-August. No major changes yet, but they will be coming.

This is my hang-up with the Klune. It's a nice option, but I don't have time to stretch it before I can drive it.

New question: What is the differences between the NP241's? I thought that I would ask the stealership for the price of a new one and they said that there are differences. The parts guy said that if I give him a VIN that matches the type of NP241 that I want, he can get me a price and availability. Any thoughts on this?

[/COLOR]

Comment

The big difference is that the ones for the JK's do not have a provision for a speedo sensor

Comment

Actually Ted, Kurt was a Navy Diver, I'm 99.999% sure. Nick (his life-mate) is the Jarhead. :wink:
                              Oops, I just saw the reply from Brett and thought it was refering to him. Ready, fire!, aim...

This is a sweet option! Did a quick search and this might be an option for a future swap. But for now, I want to only change the T/C. I need a quick swap so that I can hit the Rubicon in mid-August. No major changes yet, but they will be coming.
                              The 6cyl 6speed swap is a slam-dunk. Being a '99, your CPS is already in the right place. Since your stock T-case shifter is floor mounted, you'll have nothing to change. Really, it's no more work than a clutch change would be.
                              God forgives, rocks don't
                              -sons of thunder

Comment

Just my 2 cents, but I'd run a Toyota T/C. Hey you asked what's best. Been in the Cruiser the last 20 years. Pulling 37 inch tires. Been ran out of oil 3 separate times. Try that with these new fandangle units. Been just about everywhere. Plus its always been behind a V-8 with a heavy foot out in the sand. Kept saying when she gives out I'd go to lower gearing, still waiting. Kevin.

Comment

Working...
                                X