Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Need Opinions - What T/C is best?

Well my TeraLow has taken a :poop:, again. For the second time. Luckily the first time was within the warranty period, this time... not so much.

I think that I want to go with an Atlas 4-speed with the 4.3 and 11.7 ratios, but it is a lot of money!!
    Before I call my loan officer, I want to make sure I am getting the best for my $$$.

Think of this as the first step to building a much more capable Jeep. Want to hear your thoughts!!
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Don't think you can go wrong with Atlas. That said I've been pretty happy with my built 300. Stak Replace a case with JB Conversion internals. You might want to call them and talk to them. I bet they will give you some good options that won't break the bank. JB Conversion
    Check out .

Comment

I would go Atlas.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Dana 300 is a pass side drop. 4 speed Atlas is what I would do if I was to do it all over again. If budget is an issue, then Klune V 4-1 ($1800) in front of a stock NP231. You will want to stretch the TJ at the same time due to the increased length of the drive train. You said you want to built a more capable rig ultimately. Ultimately you will want to stretch Mr. Green a bit anyway.

You can run the stock 2.71 low range on fire roads. 4.00 in the rocks. 10.84 when you are making coffee and want to walk along side...

Similar results from a 4 speed Atlas but at a higher cost but with a bullet proof solution.

Comment

I have an atlas and every time I drive the Jeep after it's sat for a while I think either the transmission or atlas are about to explode or are being run dry because the pair is so damn loud.

Mine is only a 2-speed, but it's 1:1 or 5:1. It crawls great in 4L. 5:1 is actually too slow for most of my wheeling and I'm constantly going between Hi and Lo. Lo is usually too low for even small sections between obstacles.

A 4-speed would be great in something like the 2-3:1 range and a 4-5:1 range.

The thing is stout and shifts easily and I love having the ability to throw either axle as I want them.
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

If it is within the budget, the Atlas is one tough transfer case.
            I have been beating my 5.0 for many years and it is still happy.
            It is a loud case, but worth the ruckus.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
              Dana 300 is a pass side drop.
              Not always. Mine is driver side drop.

Last edited by dirtman13; 06-04-13, 08:26 AM.
              Check out .

Comment

Touche' ... you didn't have to take your TC out of your rig Chuck just to prove a point...

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                  If it is within the budget, the Atlas is one tough transfer case.
                  I have been beating my 5.0 for many years and it is still happy.
                  It is a loud case, but worth the ruckus.
                  It can't be as loud as a TeraLow! Especially one that is going bad.
                  What about shifting the Atlas. Manual says that it has to be moving to shift. Is that a PITA or is is something that you get used to?

Also, Mat's comment makes me wonder if a 3.8 & the 10 might be better for trail runs. Thoughts?

[/COLOR]

Comment

On a different thought, are the Klune and Stakk options flat tow-able? I don't think that the 4-speed Atlas can be flat towed.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Lots of people seem to have had problems with the Staks transfer cases. Some people had problems with the original Atlas 4-spds too--mostly in high-horsepower applications it seems.

Seems that putting a doubler in front of a transfer case that wasn't built for it is asking for problems unless it's used with real discretion. That doubler is a torque multiplier. Multiply your engine's peak torque times the transmission 1st/ Lo ratio, then times the doubler ratio to figure what you've got going into your t-case. 235*4*4 = 3760 lb-ft at t-case input * 4 = 15040 lb-ft at output.

AA redesigned their Atlas 4spd with a stronger, better-oiled planetary setup, but they made changes to the rear case too--bigger input bearing, 300M shafts standard. Awhile back it was rumored AA was designing a flat-tow oiling system for both 2 and 4 speeds, but you'll probably have to call them to get an update.
                      Last edited by inVERt'D; 06-04-13, 09:09 PM. Reason: I should pay attention when doing math :P
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

Mike you got 3 choices 241, 2 speed atlas, or 4 speed atlas. The last one you can flat tow, just pick your ratios carefully so they do not overlap

Comment

What about the 241OR?
                          God forgives, rocks don't
                          -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                            Mike you got 3 choices 241, 2 speed atlas, or 4 speed atlas. The last one you can flat tow, just pick your ratios carefully so they do not overlap
                            I think that you are going to have coach me through how to do that. I'm not sure what that entails.

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                            What about the 241OR?
                            That's the one from the Rubicon right? What's your thoughts on it?

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post

That's the one from the Rubicon right? What's your thoughts on it?
                              I believe Russ Chung is running one. Everything I've read is positive. It has a 4:1 low.
                              God forgives, rocks don't
                              -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
                              X