Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big fan of my TJ 241. I have been flat-towing it for a couple years now. Never a problem. My buddy is running the same case with the factory 4.0L, NV3550, and one ton axles and 40's, for years, and has never had a T-case issue. its a strong box.
    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Are there different versions of the NP241 for Jeeps?
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        I don't think there is a difference in any of the TJ 241's. There may be a difference in how it mounts to a manual tranny vs. an automatic. That is just a guess tho. In reply #28 Art says the JK's don't have a speedo sensor. But I have no idea if the JK 241's are slightly, or dramatically different. Your gonna have to do some research. Pirate is pretty good for that kind of info. Good luck. Looking fwd to seeing what you come up with. Please share any info you find.
        It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Well, the TeraLow just died. Makes an interesting noise. Sorta like someone banging on the inside of the case with a hammer. Cool huh?

Since I am still researching options, I guess that I will be putting my 231 back together and putting it in for the short run. Hopefully, no damage has been done to that side of the T/C.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Get that thing Rubicon ready! Start practicing your foot work with the clutch/accelerator, now that the teralow is leaving.

Comment

When mine went out it took the main shaft and bearing. good luck, and I have one for parts if you need it.
              IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Mike,
                I think you should just put the 231 back together for now. Mine is still pulling like a champ after all the shit I've thrown at it. And I would also say go with the 241. I might just go that way when mine finally dies but from what I can tell that may never happen. I love the idea of an Atlas, and won't rule it out but that is a lot of money for something I really don't need. I have some 231 parts in case some of yours were damaged by the Tera Blow going out. Oh and you are 100% correct. US Navy DEEP SEA DIVER Beeatchezzz...
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

The NP231 is a PITA with a manual when on the big rocks. It is reliable and strong, but my clutch is going to take a real beating on the 'Con if I don't upgrade the ratio.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Mike did you make that guy an offer on the 241 that I PM'd you about?
                    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                      Mike did you make that guy an offer on the 241 that I PM'd you about?
                      Not yet. I'm still not sure of what the right T/C will be.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with the Altas 4-speed?

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          From my research the TJ Rubicon had only one 241. The 241J - the J stands for the Jeep 241. Dodge, Chevy and others use the 241 - Dodge is the 241D - Chevy is the 241C. Many 241's have the 2:72 low range in them. I believe certain Jeep liberty's use a 241 with a 2:72 low range as well as other vehicle brands.

Comment

Going back to the title of your thread, get an Atlas, they are the best. Figure out what gearing makes you happy and go for it. Give them a call. You will not talk to nicer, more knowledgeable folk.

A few of us in our club arranged a factory tour there two years ago and what a great business they have.
                            Rich

Comment

Not to downplay the greatness of any of the Atlas cases; there is a lot to be said for using a case that came as a stock item. First off is obviously pricetag. Second is ease of installation. Next is parts availability - both for the case and commercially available driveshafts to fit it. In the event you are away from home and break the case, you will always be able to locate parts or a replacement very quickly and likely at a resonable cost. Ultimately, look at what ratios you anticipate running in at the "final" stage of your build. Will you be able to get away with a single low-range at 4:1 and some lower gearing in the transmission, or will you need a four speed Atlas? What fits your build and your wallet? That last question is what directs my build.
                              God forgives, rocks don't
                              -sons of thunder

Comment

Up front cost isn't necessarily the issue. Terra lo fit that bill from the get go, just in the long run it isn't a good buy. Noisy and unreliable.
                                241 out of a Rubicon is a much better proposition. In the long term a 2 speed Atlas is a very good investment. Will handle pretty much all abuse you feel like throwing at it, will also accommodate large amounts of future horsepower. Easy and cheap is rarely the best solution

Comment

Working...
                                X