Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
      A lot. 4 quarts usually does me fine.
      Yikes. Ok.

Comment

Did you put on the old diff cover or did you replace it with something better? The 8.8 covers are pretty thin.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
          Did you put on the old diff cover or did you replace it with something better? The 8.8 covers are pretty thin.
          x2 on the diff cover Ron,its real easy to catch the lip and bend it BTDT.
          Dennis and Tammy
          Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Good catch guys. I actually went the budget way for now. The covers I found were $179. I figured after I get it back together, and on all fours I could always swap it out at a later time.

Comment

It’s on my list of things to do also. It is especially when you have a double cardian drive shaft because the pinion points strait at the Tcase and the cover is even more exposed.
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

75/140 gear oil installed, additive added, and cover sealed. Done! I called the dealer, a service shop, and a auto parts store. Everyone said 2.8 quarts plus additive. It started to pour out at the time, so I called it. In case anyone is going to reference this for their swap.

Last edited by Jeep4cern; 03-04-10, 08:26 PM.

Comment

i was looking at ballistics site they make a beefy cover for $109. its the one im going to buy. and 1 question i have is how do u put the oil in the 8.8. it doesnt have a fill plug. i know u have to pull the cover to drain it but never seen 1 with no fill plug.

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
                    i was looking at ballistics site they make a beefy cover for $109. its the one im going to buy. and 1 question i have is how do u put the oil in the 8.8. it doesnt have a fill plug. i know u have to pull the cover to drain it but never seen 1 with no fill plug.
                    Hey Ray,

It's on the front side where the drive shaft connects. There is a bolt. Use your 3/8 drive to remove it. It's on the drivers side

Comment

• Ron don't be afraid to hit that thing with some flat black with its out of the Jeep. Easier now than it will be when its bolted up.
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

• Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                        Ron don't be afraid to hit that thing with some flat black with its out of the Jeep. Easier now than it will be when its bolted up.
                        Your reading my mind. Was going to take the disc brakes down and have them checked/turned if needed. That would be next. Was going to pick up a wire brush to clean it and maybe some degreaser.

Comment

• First newbie builder error? See the plate that is bent? It looks like the only way to get it off is to pull the axle unless I am looking at it wrong? Do I need it, can it just be "cut" off?

Input needed

Comment

• I believe it's just a dust shield. Mine were bent when I got my 8.8 home. I just bent them back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason View Post
                              I believe it's just a dust shield. Mine were bent when I got my 8.8 home. I just bent them back.
                              I am not sure if I can bend them back. They are bent pretty bad. Drivers side, maybe. Passenger side shown is pretty bad. Arggg!

Comment

• Ron,bend it back best you can with channel locks and vice-grips,then get a sledgehammer on one side and beat it with a hammer on the other.You can run without it but you take a chance a little rock might get in there.
                                Dennis and Tammy
                                Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Working...
                                X