Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before I order the u-bolts and spring plates. Can someone confirm the Ford 8.8 axle is 3.25"? I was told that is right, just wanted to confirm.

Thanks.

Comment

• have a tape measure? mine was 3.25"

And why not use the spring plates off the donor"?
      An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
        have a tape measure? mine was 3.25"

And why not use the spring plates off the donor"?
        Good question. I heard the shock mounts are low from Ford 8.8? Also, the stock u-bolts are 1/2" and I thought going to 5/8" would be better? If I can save $$$ I am all ears. What did you do? Here is what I was going to order.

Comment

• I bought the perches $25.99 - Moroso #85090

Comment

• Post #138. Those parts were ordered. From Ballistic Fabrication $86.49

I'll let you know how their service/shipping is. Their based out of AZ.

Comment

• Well, as most know, I was in a hurry to remove the axle and didn't want to have to come back (they closed when I was done)! I wanted that "D2" axle.

So, here is the picture of the cut brake line, and the part I have and the part needed to marry them back. Auto Zone #78738 or Napa #UP380528 - $14.98

Part I have.

Part I cut.

Part I need to marry them.

Not my jeep, but it should look like this.

Comment

• I'm a little late on this one, I've found that Trailmaster u-bolt kits are very affordable through 4wheelparts. They average $30ish for a set of 4 in 1/2" dia. They also make 9/16 and 5/8. Check out the post under off topic for $25 off at 4wheelpatrs Santa Ana. GET ON THEIR EMAIL LIST. I got my rear bolts for my 44 and a set of poly shackle bushings for $8. I just ordered my square bolts for the front flip for $8.70. They wouldn't add military discount this time. The send out this $25 offer usually once a year, but it's always a store 40 miles away.
                Last edited by 6spdYJ; 03-14-10, 04:43 PM. Reason: can't type 9/16
                God forgives, rocks don't
                -sons of thunder

Comment

• Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                  I'm a little late on this one, I've found that Trailmaster u-bolt kits are very affordable through 4wheelparts. They average $30ish for a set of 4 in 1/2" dia. They also make 9/16 and 5/8. Check out the post under off topic for $25 off at 4wheelpatrs Santa Ana. GET ON THEIR EMAIL LIST. I got my rear bolts for my 44 and a set of poly shackle bushings for $8. I just ordered my square bolts for the front flip for $8.70. They wouldn't add military discount this time. The send out this $25 offer usually once a year, but it's always a store 40 miles away.
                  I called 4wheel and they said they don't stock u-bolts (mail order only) and $25 off is for instore only. So, I just ordered from Billistics. The kit should be here on Tuesday. I got the u-bolts and spring plate, and shock tabs for $84 (posted above). It was also hard to find a SUA kit. So, I pieced it together on their web site. No complaints! Besides not getting $25 off! haha
                  Last edited by Jeep4cern; 03-14-10, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• Just got the axle painted. Cleaned it with degreaser. Penske worked good (from Walmart). Followed by semi-gloss black paint (rattle can).

Comment

• Yeah, 4wheel doesn't typically stock them, but they do carry Trailmaster. The trick is to call Trailmaster and describe what you want and get their P/N and then call 4wheel. They will do a special order. Get the manager's name and a guarantee to get the discount if the delivery takes longer than the offer lasts. Give them a contact number and they call you when it comes in.
                      Axle looks great. I've had good luck with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy paint. It takes a while to cure, but it's so slick that it's a breeze to clean off. It will scratch, but not terribly. If you glance a wrench off of it, no big deal. Rocks, different story. It really doesn't like brake fluid though. I get it at Home Depot for about $5.
                      Last edited by 6spdYJ; 03-14-10, 09:27 PM. Reason: -5pts missing space
                      God forgives, rocks don't
                      -sons of thunder

Comment

• Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                        Yeah, 4wheel doesn't typically stock them, but they do carry Trailmaster. The trick is to call Trailmaster and describe what you want and get their P/N and then call 4wheel. They will do a special order. Get the manager's name and a guarantee to get the discount if the delivery takes longer than the offer lasts. Give them a contact number and they call you when it comes in.
                        Axle looks great. I've had good luck with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy paint. It takes a while to cure, but it's so slick that it's a breeze to clean off. It will scratch, but not terribly. If you glance a wrench off of it, no big deal. Rocks, different story. It really doesn't like brake fluid though. I get it at Home Depot for about $5.
                        Regarding 4wheel, thanks for the heads up for next time.

I was going to use Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy paint. But, ended up with Rustoleum semi-gloss and went cheap, I admit.

Comment

• Ron a ZJ rear caliper line should fit the bill for that line you need.
                          An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

• Trying to post on the thread so others can use this as a reference if they want

I already got the one for the Ford 8.8 Passenger side. It was $15 as the one you posted was $12. #70483 is the part number for that one if anyone wants to save.

Comment

• Here is the factory one #78330 at Auto Zone. I wonder if I should have just got this one and not used the braided line one? Is it worth the extra effort to plumb it?

Comment

• I wouldn't as I don't like the design of having 2 rubber lines on the dist block, with no way to separate them.

Also your rear distribution block/axle vent housing will swap right over from the 8.25 looks more "factory" this way imho

:beer:

Comment

Working...
                                X