Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure the part number but you can buy it in a e-brake spring and pin kit. The parts store may have some generic ones also.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

• I know there was talk about having to move the brake line mount (photo below) because the soft line was to short. I wasn't sure how much it had to be moved and if it was a good idea. So, Napa had a soft line hose I am going to use as an extension. Napa # 29709. If I don't need it after all, I can just return it. I just want all the parts I am going to need ready for Sat install.

Brake line connected to the Jeep

Napa extension brake line Napa #29709 from adapter to jeep

Adapter from axle to jeep
      Last edited by Jeep4cern; 03-22-10, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• Ron,

How did the install go? We need to get out and test that thing out. I've got a bunch of ideas where. Let me know when you are ready.

Mitch

Comment

• Originally posted by great88 View Post
          Ron,

How did the install go? We need to get out and test that thing out. I've got a bunch of ideas where. Let me know when you are ready.

Mitch
          Awsome, I'll keep you posted. Going to have it done in 2 weeks. Need to buy new u-bolts and new perches.

Comment

• Ron, good luck with the install. Let me know when you are ready.

Mitch

Comment

• Thanks Mitch. I will.

Ok. I ordered new u-bolts. The axle is 3.25 and the new ones sent are 3.5. Problem?

Comment

• They should cinch up when enough torque is applied

Comment

• Correct! All is good with the new u-bolts. Thanks Art. One thing down.

Comment

• Ok. Axle went in today and this time without issue. I still need the EBrake stuff (shoes, springs and plate) and of course the cv driveshaft.

I will do a full write up on everything in a day or two.

Comment

• Ron, if you havent filled the housing up with gear oil yet, it is much easier to assemble the parking brake shoes with no axle shaft in the way
                      An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
                        Ron, if you havent filled the housing up with gear oil yet, it is much easier to assemble the parking brake shoes with no axle shaft in the way
                        It's installed. What is the hard way?

Comment

• trying to get all those little springs together with the axle flange in the way. Its do able, but those little springs are strong!

So the axle is complete and drivable, just the parking brake parts are missing?
                          An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

• It's been awhile since I updated this install. Here what happen to avoid others from doing the same.

Took it originally over to a few friends on MJR. After 12hrs, yes, 12hrs, it was done wrong. We noticed this on the 12th hour. The pinion angle was off. If I had added 5" lift, it might be ok (I was told). Also, the axle was off center (1"). I left it at the MJR members house (no need for names to be posted on open forum). After three days, I received new u-bolts. The ones from Billistic were wrong. Not enough threads. So, when the impact gun was used, it made it's own threads. After getting new u-bolts from another vendor (Offroad Enterprise in Montclair - $10 each) we put them in and I towed it home. Fustrated as hell to say the least. I had to wait two weeks for another MJR member to take a crack at it. Two weeks came, I took it over to his house and he fixed all previous errors.

Here are some issues for someone to avoid:

1. Billistic u-bolts are not correct. Not enough threads. Their return policy is horrible! Poor customer service.
                            2. Make sure when you check your pinion angle, you have the tires on the ground before you weld the perches! Or your pinion angle will be off.
                            3. Make sure before you weld the perches your axle is centered. You CAN'T use the measurements from a D35 and transfer them to a Ford 8.8 You need to measure. We measured from the brake bracket to the axle spring. It's centered.
                            4. Don't cut off the dust coveres on the Ford 8.8 you need them to install the E-Brake. Or, have new ones on stand by.
                            5. Brake extensions bought from Napa (previous post) as some said it was needed. It wasn't. I returned it.
                            6. Shock tabs from Billistic were too short. The shock was raised about 2.5" too much. I return them and bought from Moore. Their shock tabs left the shocks raised only 1". I did measure.

Axle being done the first time.

Axle being done the first time.

Axle being done correct.

Axle being done correct.

Now the possitive:

1. The rear disc brakes make it stop a whole lot better.
                            2. 90% of the vibration is gone.

I haven't taken it offroad to check the LSD on the Ford 8.8 I can update at that time. If I missed something, just ask.

Comment

• Where'd ya get the 8.8? Looking at ditching the S35 in favor of one.
                              "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

Comment

• Depends on which 8.8 your looking for? The 3:73 open, they have a few of them at pick a part in Hesperia and Ontario. I got the 4:10 w/limited "LSD". That one I found at pick a part in Riverside for $177 (sold the D35 for $100...Net $77). I listed above some where how to decode them. If you can't find it, I can check my notes.

Comment

Working...
                                X