Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattlesnake Cyn Run

Hey everyone, got so excited by the pictures posted by the last group that did this run we just have to do it. Looking for a easy day of scenic driving up Rattlesnake Cyn to BB. We have some friends staying in BB that we are going to meet and have dinner with that night,:pizza: we'll be having lunch on the trail unless of course we get to BB early.:beer: We're looking to have a easy day of site seeing just to get out, taking the dogs with us and will be stopping along the way. Looking to start early Sat AM to beat the desert heat.:cactus: We will be taking the southern route via I-10 to the turn off from the 247, we're hoping to be on the trail by 8AMish.......anybody else wanna go? Need to test that new installation before a big wheelin trip???

[roll]361[/roll]
    Last edited by sarah; 08-24-07, 02:22 PM.
    John & Kristi

Hey Twister,

Count me in for Saturday!

Comment

Hey Nipple Twister, I may be in. Never been on that trail before. Where are you going to meet up?

Comment

New to me too so...

...we'll just have to go and see, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Desert Jewel seems to be one of the "persons in the know' about this trail but she said she has no plans of showing anyone until one of the big rallies coming up so we'll have to fend (sp?) for ourselves:confused:
        As far as a meeting place I was just going to say meet at the trailhead off the 247 Hwy. I will be going out the 91 from Orange County to the 60 thru the badlands and pick up I-10 and then up thru Yucca Valley. If you would like to meet somewhere along that route lets do it. I was going pull out at about 6AM, grab a quick breakfast drive thru. I ran into a couple in my neighborhood driving a really nicely built aluminum bodied Jeep that looked really cool. We chatted a little bit and they said they would like to go to, Bob and Wendy I think they said their names where, wait til you see this thing.:thumbs_up
        John & Kristi

Comment

I am going to try to make it. I know the trail and can lead no problem. I already have to run up to Big Bear during the week so not 100% ++ I can make two trips but I Really do want to.

BTW, We can also turn this into a run of Heartbreak/Pontiac as that is on the way into Big Bear along 2N02 after Rattlesnake.

Comment

Originally posted by Nipple Twister View Post
            ...we'll just have to go and see, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Desert Jewel seems to be one of the "persons in the know' about this trail but she said she has no plans of showing anyone until one of the big rallies coming up so we'll have to fend (sp?) for ourselves:confused:
            thumbs_up
            It's not that I don't want to lead, but...I know how to get to the trail head and run the trail. I do not know how to get out and back to the road at the end of the trail. Both times I have been on this trail, I had knowledgable trail leaders with me. At the FITD event, there will be people running Rattlesnake that know how to get from point A to point B without getting lost on all the different routes you come to at the end of the trail.

Hope you have a great run!

Comment

You may want to double check this, but I think Pontiac Sluice/Heartbreak is closed due to it being put into wilderness area.

There wont be any signs stating such.

Just a little heads up.

Tam
              2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
              Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post
                You may want to double check this, but I think Pontiac Sluice/Heartbreak is closed due to it being put into wilderness area.

There wont be any signs stating such.

Just a little heads up.

Tam
                AFAIK, it's still proposed wilderness, but that means it is treated as such. Which means closed. It was mentioned at the last AAT meeting and it looks like there's not much we can do about it besides writing our representatives to see if we can have it removed from the bill.
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

The trail signs are still in place and the routes were open when I was up there a couple weeks ago.

BTW, IT is real easy to follow the trail and once you reach 2n02 you hang a right and you will end up in Big Bear at Baldwin Lake. It is a good haul up 2n02 but easy to follow if you stay on the main trails. There is also a spot where you can turn onto 3n03 and end up in Cactus flats off the 18.

Comment

Hmm, the plot thickens....

...Desert Jewel, I said that just to mess with ya,:wink: no biggie. Between maps and GPS I think we can find our way, it will be fun having to figure it out. If the other trails are open then yeah, I'm game......:thumbs_up
                    John & Kristi

Comment

other than the multiple choice routefinding at the top (of which i'm not 100% sure which is the correct route), the trail has no turn-offs from the 247. it simply runs through the canyon and intersects 2N02, which is a labeled forest service road which can be found on most maps of the area. at this point you can use the maps to make your own route to big bear using the fire roads, or find your way to the 38 southeast of big bear, or even go down into yucca valley towards palm springs.

i was attempting to run rattlesnake canyon from 2N02 over the weekend, but our group could not successfully find the entry point so we turned around. weather was pretty warm, very dry and dusty, and i would not anticipate it would change much in the next week.
                      03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Hey everyone. I've been lurking in the shadows for a while. This trip really interests me. Anyone object to a newbee showing up?
                        -Burchie
                        LOST JEEPS So Cal President

Comment

Originally posted by Nipple Twister View Post
                          As far as a meeting place I was just going to say meet at the trailhead off the 247 Hwy. I will be going out the 91 from Orange County to the 60 thru the badlands and pick up I-10 and then up thru Yucca Valley. If you would like to meet somewhere along that route lets do it. I was going pull out at about 6AM, grab a quick breakfast drive thru. I ran into a couple in my neighborhood driving a really nicely built aluminum bodied Jeep that looked really cool. We chatted a little bit and they said they would like to go to, Bob and Wendy I think they said their names where, wait til you see this thing.:thumbs_up
                          I am coming from Pasadena area, so I am trying to figure whether the northern or southern route is faster. Either way, I'll just plan to meet you at the trailhead. A connected run up Pontiac sounds good to me, if it is open. Burchie, please join us if you can and welcome to MJR.
                          Bruce

Comment

Wow, gettin a group here.....

.....and newbies are very welcome:thumbs_up. Like MaddMike sad it will be warm so be prepared. Hopefully starting out early will get us up in elevation before it gets to warm. I am planning on being at the trailhead just as you turn off Hwy 247 ready to go by 8AM, by 8:15 nothin but a dust cloud! (trust me, I'm the last one to be pushy about time but this time I wannna beat the heat:whip::cactus.
                            If anybody who knows this trail and wants to lead us thru for a while by all means, I'll close the back door. Otherwise I'm going on GPS and maps to find a way.......:confused2
                            John & Kristi

Comment

Burchie is no newb, I know that guy!! LOL!

Comment

Working...
                              X