Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all, can a stock XJ handle the heartbreak trail? I would like to attend, but it is hard to gauge the trail from the pics.
    Also does anyone have a GPS coordinate for the the meeting point off the 247?
    thanks
    2000 XJ, 108k miles
    33's, RE 4.5", 4.56

Comment

That's the big difference between the SBNF and BLM. The BLM signs trails that are closed - you can basically ride anywhere that you don't have a sign telling you that you _can't_.

SBNF (and most National Forests) are "Designated Vehicle Route" (DVR) only - which means that if there _isn't_ a sign telling you that it's a Designated Vehicle Route - it's not acceptable for travel.

Sarah - can you post a picture of the DVR sign for Little Bear?
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY
      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Old Fart, I think this is what you mean:
        [sized]http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/gallery/files/2/IMG_1834_491771.jpg[/sized]
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

That's one example. There is another type, which has the trail number, and difficulty rating by vehicle type. Have one of those handy Miz Sarah?
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY

Comment

D'oh!.......

......thats right, I remember now thats how it works. Sorry for the brain fart.....

I can't speak for Heartbreak Trail but from what I have heard if we run that trail you should not have any problems, come on out.....

I have GPS coordinates at home for Sat start, I will post later this evening unless someone beats me to it.....
            John & Kristi

Comment

2N84 doesn't have a sign like that. But I found one for John Bull:
              [sized]http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/gallery/files/2/IMG_3403.jpg[/sized]

Comment

Bingo!

(classroom mode=ON)

What this sign tells us is the trail number (3N10), that it is a Designated Vehicle Route (top part of the sign), and the USFS _suggested_ trail ratings by vehicle type, in this case 3N10 is considered a "moderate" (Blue) trail for motorcycles or ATV's, but a "severe" (Black Diamond) trail for full size 4x4's (in this context, a Jeep is a full size 4x4)

Please note that these are SUGGESTIONS, not RESTRICTIONS.

If the trail is restricted to "Street Legal vehicles only (much of SBNF is), this sign is where you'll see it.

If a vehicle type is PROHIBITED on a specific trail, there will be a universal "circle and slash" through the vehicle type. As an example, all of the street legal only trails are "slashed" for no ATV's (as we have no street legal ATV's in California.

A side note - if you see a "slashed" "no motorcycles" on the sign - that only applies to "green sticker" motorcycles - street legal motorcycles are allowed.

Rhinos (side by sides, UTV's) are restricted to full size green sticker trails only, and are prohibited on street legal routes.

(classroom mode = OFF)
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY

Comment

Starting point coordinates

34 22 12.0 North
                  116 38 59.6 West

:shout:
                  John & Kristi

Comment

Thanks for the great info once again Jeff. Now that all of this is out in the open, we ask that these closed routes be respected.

Comment

Route closures

No worries, based on what OldFart said they were never routes to begin with....never given a DVR signage so it's not a "closed route", it was never open......:2:

If so, then where do the names come from??.....Hmmmm....:dunno:
                      John & Kristi

Comment

Originally posted by jeep-noob View Post
                        Hey all, can a stock XJ handle the heartbreak trail? I would like to attend, but it is hard to gauge the trail from the pics.
                        thanks
                        Unfortunately the trail is closed, so it doesn't matter if you can make it or not.
                        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

GPS for start

I down loaded the trail from Map Sourse and give or take a few min. here is where we meet to start off HWY 247. See you Sat. morning.
                          34deg. 23'57" 116deg. 42'19".

Comment

Originally posted by jeep-noob View Post
                            thanks

NEWB!! You can still run Rattlesnake and have a good time in a stock XJ. We had one on our recent run and they had a good time. There are a couple spots you could play around on and even end up stuck if you like and then there is the big mud puddle to fly through on 2N02 if you like. All in all it is a great stocker/Newb trail and worth seeing for anyone else too.
                            Drag it out!

Comment

hey this sounds cool, thanks, see you there

if heartbreak is closed will 2N02 or some other combination get us through to big bear?

the two posts of GPS coordinates conflict :confused2:oops::haha:
                              2000 XJ, 108k miles
                              33's, RE 4.5", 4.56

Comment

Rattle Snake

If you get close enough to either one you will be in shoutting distance.
                                What channel on the CB. I also have a 2Meter and monitor 146.49 simplex.

Comment

Working...
                                X