Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dukes69
    Do we have a date for this on as well? I have racing on July 18 . . . I really want to make this one . . . IN MY JEEP!!
    Looking at that weekend, but we can look at the weekend after if it doesn't confilct with the Jamboree.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

lets just put this into a little perspective here Crickett...

I started wheeling like you in September of last year. I didnt get my 33's and do more serious stuff till April or May...and the Rubicon trip was in July.

So you are about the same place I was last year...a newb...

33's would do it for you, but I know how hard it is to get there.

Tam
      2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
      Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

The Rubicon really isn't that tough. Yea, it's tough and relentless, and long, and unforgiving, and has some awesome scenery, and probably my favorite single trail I have ever been on, but it is not as difficult as some people think. I ran it with 31's, as have countless others. Granted I was locked at each end, which helps make up for lack of driving skillz, but dont' get scared off so early in the game! You have almost a whole year to get some rocks under your belt, and possibly some 33's, or maybe a locker or two under you jeep. Hang out with these guys (and gals!) enough and they will have you in good shape to run it in no time!
        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Take the Liberty bypass

Remember, every Jeep vehicle sold (prior to the Liberty) has been able to pass the Rubicon in it's stock form. Admittedly, that has been with pro drivers behind the wheel, but even the lowly 2.5L TJ has done it.

The Jeep KJ made it through the Rubicon but it did require taking all the bypasses and using a hi-lift to jack up and stack rocks under the tires.

After that little fiasco made the 4x4 press, Daimler-Chrysler dumped the Rubicon as it's performance benchmark and came up with "Trail Tested" marketing bullcrap.

If you keep wheeling and learning, you should be able to take that TJ with 31's through Rubicon, just make sure you have good armor in case you decide to "learn" a few things while there.

It's not the lockers, tires, or the skids, it's the nut behind the wheel.
          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
          2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

let's put it another way... if by then you've done dishpan, holcomb and john bull... and you think they're all easy... then your ready for the rubicon. At that point you can drive a kia for all I care.
            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
              let's put it another way... if by then you've done dishpan, holcomb and john bull... and you think they're all easy... then your ready for the rubicon. At that point you can drive a kia for all I care.
              great analogy ... i hope those trails are still open.
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

the lottery would be great but a little at a time pays off. I can't believe how far I've gotten in less than two years.
                myJeeprocks.com

Comment

I guess what I meant was... without winning the lottery... I look at my Jeep now and say... "Damn, I'm closer than I thought I'd ever be!"
                  myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Concerning the setbacks we had last year, I think we should post the minimum requirements for each Jeep to have before even thinking about doing this run or posting in this thread.

i.e.
                    No trailers
                    At least 31's and a rear locker
                    A pair of wet socks
                    etc.
                    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I think one wet sock will do.
                      myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Re: Take the Liberty bypass

Originally posted by jmbrowning
                        but even the lowly 2.5L TJ has done it.
                        Lowly 2.5?So it wont do 90 mph on the highway.But it still has 4.10 gears.

Comment

Originally posted by qwiksilver
                          That leaves me out...no locker...and no wet socks.

Can I apply for a co-pilot's slot? Coffee poured, maps read, chips opened, fuel costs shared...etc.
                          Wet socks? i definately musta missed something...im so outta the loop
                          B R E T T
                          87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
                            Wet socks? i definately musta missed something...im so outta the loop
                            not really.
                            myJeeprocks.com

Comment

personally, i think 31" tires are a bit on the small side for this run... i'd suggest 33" minimum tires. if someone goes with 31's i dont want to be the one in front of them the whole way with the strap .
                              just a suggestion.
                              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

[COLOR=orangered]per our ratings system [/COLOR]
                                Black Diamond Run:
                                A few experienced hardcore off-roaders with highly modified vehicles desire runs that will push their vehicle and driving skills to the limit, and that is what these are. At least one locker is REQUIRED, (front & rear lockers, 33" tires and low gears strongly recommended).Mandatory safety and recovery equiptment Some body damage is almost guaranteed, and severe drivetrain failure (axles, driveshaft, etc.) is quite possible. Driver error on some obstacles may result in a rollover. Some runs may require additional equipment.
                                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                                X