Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nailer, you're right. i was just offering a suggestion and after i thought about it for a while i was hoping that someone would say 33s.
    Last edited by sarah; 02-27-04, 12:29 PM.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
      personally, i think 31" tires are a bit on the small side for this run... i'd suggest 33" minimum tires. if someone goes with 31's i dont want to be the one in front of them the whole way with the strap .
      just a suggestion.
      I think 31's are just fine on this trail, provided you are locked up. I only took a strap one time on the last trip, and don't think I slowed the group up too aweful much.
      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

goodtimes, we'll take you along on 31's, but i think as a general rule, if someone hasn't been wheeling with us before, they're gonna need 33's.
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

IMHO...its either locked on 31's -OR- 33's ...

Tam
          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
            goodtimes, we'll take you along on 31's, but i think as a general rule, if someone hasn't been wheeling with us before, they're gonna need 33's.

I tend to agree with Tam this. In fact, the trail runs I organize out here I don't limit vehicles strictly based on tire size. I restrict the runs based on how the vehicle is set up in whole, as well as drivers ability. But I do agree that 33's are a much better choice for this run. It would have made the trip a little more relaxing that it was with the 31's. There weren't too many stretches of the trail that I could relax and enjoy the scenery on, because I was constantly picking lines that I could get over.

KG6OWO

Comment

Yeah, I think I shifted out of 4lo twice on the entire trail, and once was after we were finished.
              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                Yeah, I think I shifted out of 4lo twice on the entire trail, and once was after we were finished.
                You came out of 4-lo??? I was in low for the whole trail, at least until we got up Cadillac Hill.

I think it would be kinda cool to run that trail as a passenger sometime, just so I could enjoy the scenery. Kinda like the drive up Hwy 1. Cool drive, but you are so busy paying attention to the road that you can't enjoy the scenery.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
                  You came out of 4-lo??? I was in low for the whole trail, at least until we got up Cadillac Hill.

I think it would be kinda cool to run that trail as a passenger sometime, just so I could enjoy the scenery. Kinda like the drive up Hwy 1. Cool drive, but you are so busy paying attention to the road that you can't enjoy the scenery.
                  John said he would never be a passenger again. He had to walk about half the trail because he was my spotter all the time.
                  1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                    John said he would never be a passenger again. He had to walk about half the trail because he was my spotter all the time.
                    he was everyones spotter.. and a damn good one, until he slept that tree on seaphans fender!
                    but i guess it is all a numbers game. you spot 15 jeeps for 3 days... you are going to blink at some point he can spot me any time on any obstical
                    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

People should have no misconceptions about the Rubicon. It is truely a beautiful trail. But it requires constant attention. we wheeled about 8 hours per day for the first two days. I was exhausted by the end of those two days. The trail lives up to it's reputation as difficult and completely relentless. The mandatory obsticals are not so difficult to cause major headaches, it is just that the whole trails is like one big, long obstical. It never stops. If you and your jeep are not up to it, you are better off hitching a ride on this one. Total damages from our last trip probably exceeded $20K. It is not a trial for the under-equipped or in-experienced.

KG6OWO

Comment

BUT...on the same note...

I took my Jeep with no lockers and 33"MT/r's....had no real stucks (HUSH ERIK) or damage... my experience is limited to what weve done in the last year, I only started wheeling my Jeep in Sept/Oct last year. Of course, it was thru the crash course of Chris, Al, Kirk, Erik, Jim and Alex... Trying to keep up with them has been quite an experience!

Tam
                        Last edited by sarah; 02-27-04, 12:31 PM.
                        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
                          Total damages from our last trip probably exceeded $20K. It is not a trial for the under-equipped or in-experienced.
                          Hmm, I wouldn't value that TJ at $20k... I think maybe $15k or so would cover it...

The only folks out there on 31's were experienced drivers with lockers front and rear and appropriate skid protection.

I think as long as we lay down the ground rules and vehicle requirements, we should limit the carnage this year. I for one will not hesitate this time to tell somebody that is either clearly not prepared or clearly not going to make it to go home, or at least make a very clear argument that they are making a long drive for a disappointing experience. Just my $0.02...
                          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I can't tell ya how many trail rides I have been on when the trail leader or someone should have said something when people were not prepared. This one time at band camp....I mean Deep creek, there was this guy in a pretty stock cherokee with no lift, street tires and a snorkel ....and I dont even want to get into the guy in the grand cherokee with no lift and street tires who popped his front drive shaft. 5 hours later.....
                            ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
                            00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                            97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Just giving chris a hard time
                              ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
                              00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                              97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_L
                                I can't tell ya how many trail rides I have been on when the trail leader or someone should have said something when people were not prepared. This one time at band camp....I mean Deep creek, there was this guy in a pretty stock cherokee with no lift, street tires and a snorkel ....and I dont even want to get into the guy in the grand cherokee with no lift and street tires who popped his front drive shaft. 5 hours later.....

Ooops. Thats was a learning experience.
                                [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                                SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                                X