This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calico Clean Up: 2/17

TLCA L.A. County is in the early and initial planning stages for a trip to Calico. Our goal is to assist and work in cooperation with BLM to do a clean up through Mule, Doran, and Odessa Canyon while enjoying some fun and challenging wheeling. There will be a variety of trails to tackle for stock rigs and for those modified rigs looking for some weekend enjoyment, while volunteering to clean up one of our favorite areas trashed by the undesirables.

Calico is a historic and incredible mining area that has a ton of scenic areas to explore. If you have never been to Calico, it's a must to experience the old time western era.

We would seriously like to make this a joint effort for success with all Land Cruiser chapters or clubs such as So Cal, Gold Coast, Tierra Del Sol, So Cal 80's, FJ Cruisers, and those individuals not affiliated with a club. There are a few Jeeper clubs that have also offered to help contribute to this cause and enjoyment from our trip a couple of weeks ago.

BLM's budget is stretched super thin and they could really use some help in this area. To off set some costs, Burrtech Waste Industries has offered to provide (2) roll off containers for the trash and debris that we gather. Maybe a raffle???

Mark

ROLL CALL:
    Friday
    Saturday
    Sunday

Please be aware that there is a separate roll call for each day.
    Last edited by sarah; 02-13-07, 12:20 PM.
    "run forest, run!"

Last edited by sarah; 01-05-07, 08:39 PM. Reason: post flyer, sorry for hijackin yer post mat :P
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I am definately interested! :earth:
      Built Not Bought
      1986 B2

Comment

Heck yeah sounds good, a little early for me to say for sure but most likely its a yes.
        -Allen
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
          Sounds like a plan... I'll try to make it! It's a little far in advance for me to say for sure, but I'd like to see Calico soon!

hiw soon?\
          I'm going this weekend...
          It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Me and my family would love to help out and do some wheelin. Count us in
            moon buggy
            5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

Hell I'm half crippled, but I'll be there to help keep this area open, Kevin.

Comment

Originally posted by Elusive View Post
                hiw soon?\
                I'm going this weekend...
                Not that soon! Saturday = Company Christmas Party, Sunday = Pontiac run in Big Bear!

Thanks though!
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

OK If the dates are in Feb 07 I'll be there with truck to haul junk and a jeep to climb rocks. I'll see if I can recruit a couple of other trucks and strong backs as well.
                  C YA
                  Rat
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

12/12 Update

I met with Discovery Trails and BLM today to identify and determine the approved staging area, roll off dumpster location, specific trails and the areas that require our volunteer time and energy.

The attached map below identifies two of the three areas that need attention, including Doran, Odessa, and Mule Canyon. The third area which is not shown is Silver Bow Mine Road and it's west of Bismarck Canyon. Only the letters on the map mentioned below identify areas of concern for this clean up and the areas that have a completed enviromental impact report for our effort. This has been completed.

Staging Area
                    (A) on the west side of the trail

Roll off Dumpster
                    (A) Across from staging area at base of Mule Canyon

Area #1 Mule Canyon
                    (A-F) and (I-M)

Area #2 Odessa and Bismarck Canyon
                    (Q-U)

Area #3 Silver Bow Mine Road

Discovery Trails has offered to provide trash bags and operate their 14' dump truck to remove any filled trash bags or items recovered at the side of the accessible trails back to the roll off dumpster at staging. Areas requiring 4wd access, we will need to transport the bags and items to an accessible area for him to remove the trash. It's their belief that we will only need one roll off dumpster.

Discovery Trails will also arrange to have (2) uniformed San Bernardino County Sheriff's deputies and a BLM ranger patrol our areas on quads and in a marked 4wd patrol vehicle in the shooting areas to ensure our safety. They are also E.M.T.'s and will be available in case we needs a band-aid.

This clean up effort so far has had great response from several land cruiser, TTORA, jeep, and SBNF adopt-a-trail members alike. I believe that the amount of participation mentioned will make a difference cleaning up an area that has been considered for closure because of the on-going abuse.

A raffle was considered to offset some of the costs and to give back to Discovery Trails. Is there any interest?

http://www.calicotown.com/ohv/images/topomap.jpg

I welcome any comments, questions, or concerns for this joint volunteer effort.

Mark
                    "run forest, run!"

Comment

sounds good I might have to block out that weekeend since its for a good cause and a chance to run calico trails

Comment

Working on getting my TGC4x4 guys out there to help too, I know myself and one other are definatly going, trying to get at least 5 more.
                        [COLOR="Wheat"]'04 Rubi[/COLOR]
                        [COLOR="Wheat"]'88 YJ[/COLOR]
                        [COLOR="Green"]'94 ZJ RIP FEB 25 2006[/COLOR]
                        [COLOR="Yellow"]'47 CJ2A [/COLOR]
                        VA, CA, NC, WA, The Country's Fastest Growing 4x4 Club

Comment

Where is everybody camping ? Are you gonna camp at Calico or in the dry sites
                          moon buggy
                          5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

Im just going to camp out in Mule Canyon somewhere!
                            Built Not Bought
                            1986 B2

Comment

well, this volunteer event has grown beyond belief. The response from TTORA, Land Cruiser, unimog and Jeep community has been great. This is going to be a joint effort between various 4wd clubs throughout So Cal. Banks Power is sponsoring Calico Clean Up '07 and we have an awesome raffle to present from some very generous vendors. ARB, J.E. Reel, Tom Woods, Cal Mini, All-Pro, Downey Off Road, DeMello, 4 Wheel Parts, 4 West, Donahue Racing, Dirty Parts, Metal Tech, Off Camber, Adventure Outfitters, and Valley Hybrid are just a few that have contributed. Our raffle will benefit Friends of the Rubicon and Blue Ribbon Coalition. If you want to contribute to the raffle, let me know and we'll add it to the pool. Our efforts will benefit the entire off road community, BLM, and Discovery Trails to keep the Calico area clean and accessible. Did I mention the carne asada feeding and event t-shirts? I'll have a website with better details of the event this week or next at the latest.

So far the majority of us are dry camping in the staging area off Mule Canyon. This is an RV friendly and huge area to camp. The maps will be posted on the website. It would be great to see a strong presence from MJR. If you have a banner, bring it. Primedia and Blue Ribbon Coalition will also be present.

Mark
                              Last edited by FJ Crawlin'; 12-31-06, 09:33 AM.
                              "run forest, run!"

Comment

Working...
                              X