Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RUN CANCELLED

This run is cancelled due to thunderstorm warnings by the weather channel. DAMNIT!!! I'm Pissed now.

Isolated T-Storms

There's Isolated Thunderstorms in Big Bear too, otherwise I would have headed to John Bull.
    Last edited by MrBash; 07-17-08, 07:03 PM.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

bash , what about running cleghorn backwards to the 15 from the lake ??

Comment

Originally posted by barney1 View Post
        bash , what about running cleghorn backwards to the 15 from the lake ??
        Ya that sounds good to me. All in favor?

Comment

reallistically speaking....how bad would it really be if we were to get caught in a thunderstorm at Odessa Canyons?

Comment

Odessa at night would be a blast! I havent been up either Odessa or Doran since the rains but below Odessa is washed out and it looked like there were big boulders placed on the trail for the Doran bypass.
            Last edited by 59Bisquik; 07-17-08, 07:04 PM.
            Built Not Bought
            1986 B2

Comment

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to let us know the current and forecasted trail and weather conditions. I love the Calico trails like the next guy but agree that it's not worth someone getting hurt or scratching my new paint job over (sorry Kev!). I won't speak for Kevin but I'm certain that postponing this run to the Calico's is a no brainer and likely saved our sanity. Again, thanks for chimming in

Alrighty then...Next option, please? Anyone interested in running the trails in Lytle Creek Sunday evening? Not much hardcore wheelin' but some fun easy trailing.. Meet up at Sierra and I-15 at the McDonalds at 6pm? Any takers???

Mark

Originally posted by RubiRedRoc 07 View Post
              Because you asked about the ledge. I drove up to the top end of both Odessa and Duran. Odessa is down to five feet of trail with a sharp drop off. The upper Trail is completely different, but fun to drive. Duran is gone. Very bad wash out. You can not drive from the Bismark Mine to the Sue Mine or from the Rock house to the Sue mine. All washed out. We are getting Flash Floods almost every night. It will only get Worse by Sunday. I don't tell 4x4 drivers what to do, but you might want to rethink this run this time of year. In the morning the Temp. is down and you can see. also less chance of a storm. Up to you, Good Luck.
              Last edited by FJ Crawlin'; 07-17-08, 09:28 PM.
              "run forest, run!"

Comment

Can you say, "swiftwater rescue?" I think the canyon walls speak for themselves. Float tube? Maybe...

Originally posted by MrBash View Post
                reallistically speaking....how bad would it really be if we were to get caught in a thunderstorm at Odessa Canyons?
                "run forest, run!"

Comment

I Kinda like the idea of running cleghorn rd backwards. Lytle creek has nice scenery but not much fun unless it has a bunch of snow and then it turns into the San Diego freeway

Comment

I'm with Cleghorn backwards. I like the articulation stuff at cleghorn.

Comment

have we decided on a new location for this run yet ?? if we decide on cleghorn reverse from lake i still wouldnt mind taking 15 to lake first and back with the others if anyone else wants to join in your welcome too .........i'm also up for anything else !!

Comment

Originally posted by barney1 View Post
                        have we decided on a new location for this run yet ?? if we decide on cleghorn reverse from lake i still wouldnt mind taking 15 to lake first and back with the others if anyone else wants to join in your welcome too .........i'm also up for anything else !!
                        I'm in for Cleghorn from lake Silverwood to the 15 anytime on Sunday. Everything is going to depend on the weather when Sunday comes because there is constant weather change happening. Running Cleghorn in the rain is really fun so if it does rain, I'll be out there. Steve, I'll call you on your cell on Sunday to confirm a meeting time. Here's the news report so far...

Severe Weather Alert

Special Weather Statement

SAN BERNARDINO AND RIVERSIDE COUNTY VALLEYS-THE INLAND EMPIRE- SAN DIEGO COUNTY VALLEYS-SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY MOUNTAINS- RIVERSIDE COUNTY MOUNTAINS- SANTA ANA MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS- SAN DIEGO COUNTY MOUNTAINS-APPLE AND LUCERNE VALLEYS- COACHELLA VALLEY-SAN DIEGO COUNTY DESERTS- 116 PM PDT FRI JUL 18 2008
                        ...MONSOON MOISTURE RETURNING OVER SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA... ...WIDESPREAD SHOWERS WITH AREAS OF HEAVY RAIN POSSIBLE SUNDAY AND MONDAY...

THE DRY AND STABLE AIR MASS OVER SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA WILL COME TO AN END SATURDAY. WEATHER MODELS ARE INDICATING A STRONG SURGE OF MONSOON MOISTURE MOVING UP THE GULF OF CALIFORNIA AND OVER SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY.

THIS DEVELOPING WEATHER PATTERN WILL BE FAVORABLE FOR WIDESPREAD RAIN SHOWERS ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS AND DESERTS OF SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA ON SUNDAY.

SOME OF THESE SHOWERS WILL FALL WEST OF THE MOUNTAINS SUNDAY EVENING AND MAY REACH THE COAST. TOTAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS WEST OF THE MOUNTAINS WILL BE RELATIVELY LOW...RANGING FROM A FEW HUNDREDTHS AT THE COAST TO A QUARTER INCH NEAR THE FOOTHILLS.

HOWEVER OVER THE MOUNTAINS AND DESERT AREAS... RAINFALL AMOUNTS WILL BE TWO TO THREE TIMES HIGHER. PRELIMINARY INDICATIONS ARE THAT THE FLASH FLOOD POTENTIAL WILL BE MODERATE TO HIGH SUNDAY THROUGH MONDAY. HEAVY RAINFALL ACCOMPANYING THUNDERSTORMS THERE COULD DROP MORE THAN AN INCH AND A HALF OF RAIN IN A VERY SHORT TIME.

PERSONS LIVING IN...TRAVELING THROUGH...OR PLANNING OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES IN THE MOUNTAINS AND DESERTS THIS WEEKEND SHOULD MONITOR BOTH THE SKY AND LATEST NEWS REPORTS. A FLASH FLOOD WATCH AND OR WARNINGS MAY BE ISSUED LATER THIS WEEKEND.

Comment

The only thing about Cleghorn is if it rains hard we have to becarefule because there have been land slides over there and the main dirt roads have collapsed, which have been repaired now.

If it rains heavy, I would rather goto Lytle Creek to play in the mud.

But all in all, everything depends on the weather on Sunday so I'll know then on what I am going to do.

Comment

I ran Cleghorn in the rain during the winter and that was a barrel of fun any time in the afternoon or at night is good for me

Comment

Flash floods on Odessa would be crazy dangerous... you know that Odessa and Doran used to be paved... untill a flash flood came through.

May I suggest the Stoddard wells area? good night run potential would be Achy-Breaky or Pumpkin Eater... still a flash flood potential, but not as dangerous as the canyon. and if you take the trail up to the peak, you can see Barstow, Apple Valley and Victorville at night it's pretty nice sight.
                              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                                I ran Cleghorn in the rain during the winter and that was a barrel of fun any time in the afternoon or at night is good for me
                                I'll keep you posted. PM sent

Comment

Working...
                                X