X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to fight closures

www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461541

Comment

i had a chance today to go with flatout and check out the cleghorn trail's and see how the blocked trails were coming along and sure enough somebody has already started to make bypasses around the blockage they installed , hope this does not cause more problems or closures!!

Comment

Thats not good. Was it two wheel or for wheel tracks?
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

four wheel , and i'm know tire expert but.... they look like 35" krawlers ......AW12345 what new tires did you buy ???? ......just kidding art LOL

Comment

Originally posted by bullysteve View Post
            i had a chance today to go with flatout and check out the cleghorn trail's and see how the blocked trails were coming along and sure enough somebody has already started to make bypasses around the blockage they installed , hope this does not cause more problems or closures!!
            Cleghorn was never designed to be black diamond. There are drainage issues on the Cajon side. Unfortunately we have people who believe crap like this:

If it's that easy, where's the fun for the rest of us? I'm sure many would agree they didn't invest a small fortune in their rigs to do runs anyone can do. What a delema!! Maybe someone who knows what their doing should role a few rocks around, don't ya think.
            This has happened and will happen time and time again. As fast as the USFS can block illegal trails the hoodlums who recreate in the SBNF cut new illegal trails. Short of post & pipe fencing surrounding every legal trail throughout the forest there does not seem to be a solution.

Hopefully everyone whining in this thread about the closures will get involved with the USFS in keeping the bypasses closed so that we don't lose the whole trail.
            Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
              Short of post & pipe fencing surrounding every legal trail throughout the forest there does not seem to be a solution.
              Well, they could spend some of this trail closure budget on building more black diamond recreational trails. The fundamental issue of compressing more and more people into fewer and fewer areas needs to be addressed. Opening trails is the solution, not closing them.
              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

i should add, that I think the green sticker, red sticker, street legal, non-street legal issue is a big mess and not working to prevent any of these issues. Sure, it raises money, but it doesn't address fundamental behavioral issues.

What needs to happen is that ALL vehicles (motorized and bicycle) need to get Licenses to recreate on BLM, State, and National Forest lands. Licensure program would include TreadLightly training, as a mandatory part of the program.

This will do four things:
                1. Slightly reduce the crowding on the trails
                2. Raise money for the land management entities
                3. Educate the public to help reduce the number of Yahoo's
                4. Have real consequences of having license revoked or suspended for yahoo behavior.

I don't like this plan, in fact I hate it, but I would rather have this plan than having access to MY public lands denied.
                Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

As Doug rather patiently pointed out, there never was a legitimate legal black diamond trail system on Cleghorn Ridge - what was there was (dark) gray area at best, and purely illegal bypasses at worst.

They're gone. Legally, we never should have been there in the first place - and continuing to wheel there (2 or 4 wheels) will just result in more erosion, more resource damage - and putting the area on the radar of folks that can and will close the gates.

The USFS doesn't "build" any trails, Black Diamond or otherwise. Depending on the road (some can not and never will be Black Diamond), some are allowed to "degrade" (improve )into more difficult trails. But if you're thinking that any amount of public outcry, pressure or action is going to net you "Johnson Valley" in the SBNF - it simply won't happen. If the level of difficulty of John Bull, Holcolmb, Dishpan aren't enough for you, you need to be wheeling elsewhere. And every time some one decides to "protest" a closure by wheeling in a closed area, it stes back efforts to reopen the areas that are closed (Holcolm), and enforces the position of the folks that want to close more of it that they are right - "we" are irresponsible.
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY
                  You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Working...
                  X