Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing that someone might be able to answer is why did they legalize the easy part's and block the harder stuff?
    You can make it

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
      Here is a spin to Christians comment. Why are we allowing a paid employee only access to a trail that the tax payers should have? Why is it every time I turn around, we are loosing trails and places to ride? Personally, I am tired of being the nice guy and hearing other nice guys say, just leave it along and let them do their thing so they don't close other trails. How about, we do what other groups do and make it difficult for them? If we made it hard to hold the paid position, no one would want it and we would keep our trails. I am not saying to break the law, just the oposite. Find out if whomever runs the show up there has Then report it to the papers. Make it very hard for anyone to want that position Sometimes, you just need to fight back and say WTF?

:2:
      Ron,

I think you may have missed the point. The portions of the Cleghorn trail that have been blocked were never part of the legal trail. The FS is closing an illegal trail that was created over the years by off roaders. Believe it or not this happens quite a bit. It’s just that Cleghorn is a popular trail that has a very popular illegal bypass so it’s gets more attention. We really didn’t lose anything.
      Check out .

Comment

I'm still in confusion over the "we're allowing a paid employee access to a trail that taxpayers should have" - what paid employee?
        Jeff
        OHV76V
        KG6TY
        You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I'd have to agree with Christian on this one . . . although it sucks to see some of these sections shut down, from what's been mentioned these were illegal trails to begin with. Personally I can appreciate them being closed down if that means keeping the official trail open and especially if the plan is to add some sections to the official trail. One thing that came to mind is that we could have got into some hot water . . . tickets, fines, etc had law enforcement been out there and seen us on these illegal sections. Especially with the mess our state is in, it's less and less likely to get a warning for something like this even if you honestly had no clue that the secton was illegal . . . I can only imagine what the fine for something like that would look like considering the 135 bucks I had to pay for not having covers on my off-road lights!
          That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

I find it interesting that none of the whiners have one of these:
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by headhunter View Post
              I'm seeing this in a bit different light than many of the people in this thread.

It is my understanding that ALL of the bypasses were previously illegal and that they were created by people going off-trail and cutting new trails on their own without permission.

They are now blocking most of these illegally cut trails.

Apparently, the positive aspect of what is happening is that they are retaining some of the bypasses and signing them into the management plan as "official."

I believe that the net result is that we are actually "gaining" official routes on Cleghorn that we will be allowed on once they've done some rehab.

There are other routes in the forest that are being re-routed for various reasons, but we're not losing them. As I understand it, most (if not all) of the reroutes are being applied to "administrative" routes, which are not supposed to be used by the general public anyway. So, most of us shouldn't even realize that these administrative routes are changing, since most of us are not authorized to use them anyway.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding or miscalculating something.

What I would ask of all of you is that you do not try to drive these blocked routes "in protest." That will only ensure that the entire route gets permanently closed, because it will only prove that the Forestry Service can not adequately manage that route.

Instead, please learn more about the existing planning process for the routes in the forest and become active in that process.

I personally know very little about the process at this time, but plan to learn more about it.

Respectfully,

Christian
              That is a well thought out response from someone with a clear head. Well done
              ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                I noted that also
                I also have noticed none of them have answered my question about what they did in the last month to be proactive in keeping out legal trails open.

Here is a thought, there is a group of us who attend meetings, get up and talk, write articles, show up to public meetings, research what is going on, and donate money to organizations such as Blue Ribbon, Corva, Cal4x4, etc. Some of us donate more than just the minimum and donate time and effort to programs such as MJRs AAT, Cleanup days, and even search and rescues. All for one reason, we know we need to be a big presence on the horizon in order to keep trails open. Weather that presence is volunteer work, or just sitting in an audience with claps of approval after a speaker, it all takes time out of our lives.

What we want is to keep and maintain the existing legal trail system we have for ourselves and future generations.
                Then we see a thread such as this, where some very good points are being made, and some bad ones are being spouted. We would think that it would sink in that we need to help more to keep trails open. But it seems that instead of asking how we can be proactive, the question is ignored because so few are willing to do what it takes.
                I notice the AAT crew understands, and we will see them out working on our trails, working on other clubs trails, showing up at cleanups, meetings, public hearings etc. But sadly the guys who could learn so much, and help so much, will continue to complain and mount a protest against closing of Illegal trails instead of joining an ORG. that is dedicated to keeping trails open and volunteering for work.
                Call me an Idiot, say I am way off base, do what ever it takes to make sure that you ignore what I have just said, but the next time you pull up to a closed trail, remember it was closed because we either lost a battle because of lack of members and resources, or lost it because they needed to shut down illegal off road activity.
                Notice there are lockable gates on and at the beginning and end of Cleghorn, want to see them closed and locked, keep wheeling those closed trails.
                Last edited by blackZZR; 05-04-10, 02:12 PM.
                censored for having an opinion

Comment

Last time I checked, I did a fair amount of work on Holcomb Mr Jim. Would be nice to do some work on Cleghorn to get some of these so called bypasses repaired and open again. However you look at it it's a terrible loss of a fun trail that was nearby and saw a lot of use, by a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                    Last time I checked, I did a fair amount of work on Holcomb Mr Jim. Would be nice to do some work on Cleghorn to get some of these so called bypasses repaired and open again. However you look at it it's a terrible loss of a fun trail that was nearby and saw a lot of use, by a lot of people.
                    No one is pointing a finger at you Art, your record is noted, but Art, you have to admit in the last few years some of those side trails have been burned in where there was no trail the year before.
                    What the forest service wants is a managed and maintained trails system, not a I want a trail here system that expands each year. In order to keep trails open we must agree to this. Unfortunately it seems once something is there we all do not want to see it gone, But they have spoken as to what is legal and what is not.
                    I agree I will miss a really killer trail I took a lot because it was close and accessible, But in order to keep the rest of it open, as well as other trails in the SBNF, I will abide. If you go back east where most National Forest have been shut down to wheeling, you will know how important the fight to keep ours open is. There are places the only wheeling is at private off road parks.

Comment

OK to clarify the part about the administrative trail in the second letter.
                      That road is only a mile or so long and it just connects the rangers station/work area to the trail system .

Its no big deal..

I also see that making an unbeknownst to some illegal trail , legal is actually gaining trails.

I'd say stay off the blocked ones too , they could have shut them all down...

Over in Arrowhead I looked at my map and compared it the the letter.

Its mostly motorcycle trail thats changing. trail I'm VERY familiar with.

It looks like they are keeping most of the stuff I liked .
                      they are rerouting some sections that have been getting really chewed up the last 10 years.

And the area they are cutting out is very near housing .
                      In fact I remember stopping for a break and hearing people in their back yards working and BBQing........

It doesn't look to me as bad as I thought at first. there will still be a good loop out and back to pinnacles staging. the trails that go to Silverado are left alone.
                      you won't be able to get down to deep creek with out going down 3n34 though....
                      Last edited by Mike-Motorbike; 05-04-10, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                        Ron,

I think you may have missed the point. The portions of the Cleghorn trail that have been blocked were never part of the legal trail. The FS is closing an illegal trail that was created over the years by off roaders. Believe it or not this happens quite a bit. It’s just that Cleghorn is a popular trail that has a very popular illegal bypass so it’s gets more attention. We really didn’t lose anything.
                        I did miss that :bonk: That's for letting me know.

Hey Erik are you coming to the M&G? I have seen you post for the last year and never seen you on a trail. It would be great to finally meet some of you.
                        Last edited by Jeep4cern; 05-04-10, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                          I did miss that :bonk: That's for letting me know.

Hey Erik are you coming to the M&G? I have seen you post for the last year and never seen you on a trail. It would be great to finally meet some of you.
                          I do plan to be there for the Meet and Greet.
                          We can hug
                          ERIK

Comment

We can hug
                            :bolt: Wouldn't go that far. haha Let me guess Paramount High?

Comment

2n47, Cleghorn, is the AAT of the Drifters 4x4 Club.
                              I am sure if you contact them you can become part of the AAT effort for that trail, seems all AAT efforts always accept new help.
                              That in itself would be the strongest message you could make to keep as much of that trail as possible open.
                              Protesting the closure of a illegal bypass is not going get you anywhere. Pro active participation in a activity the Forest Service promotes will.

Comment

We can hug
                                I'll give ya all a big hug,as long as a get to look at the jeeps.
                                Dennis and Tammy
                                Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Working...
                                X