Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they made this one all that more interesting. To bad it would be immoral to tread on this and stir more issues but it doesnt look un-do-able to me
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

I think the idea is to let it regrow the ground cover, then it will no longer be a trail.
      I'm sure there are many of us here that would have no issues traversing those rocks. That isn't the point.

As was stated earlier, the majority of those are illegal bypasses, and were never a real part of the trail. It has just taken a long time to get them blocked, and marked.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I got this in an email from a an adopt-a-trail volunteer , who knows some of the rangers up there.

Sounds real bad . Any body hear anything on this?

Email reads vvvvvvv
        FYI
        As you may know, some of the unauthorized routes (bypasses) on Cleghorn have been blocked and slashed with brush. Some of the bypasses that are not blocked will become legal, designated, numbered roads.

This effort is part of the SBNF travel management decision. All of the closures should reflect the final SBNF Motor Vehicle Use Map. The contract restoration crews and equipment are starting this project on the west side of the main divide (I-15) and working east. Finishing east of Big Bear.

The crews are in the Lake Arrowhead area this week. The Contractor is working quickly and efficiently.

If you have any concerns or comments about this project or need any specifics, please contact me.

Hopefully, you were able to attend any of our Travel Management Open House meetings and comment on these projects over the past five years.

I got this one too.

Email reads vvvvvv
        FYI.

Some changes to the 50" OHV trails located north of Lake Arrowhead will be made this week.

These projects are a result of the San Bernardino National Forest Travel Management Plan Decision.

At North Shore Work Center, the Administrative trail leading from North Shore Campground Road to 3W12 (now 3W65) is going to be rerouted.

The new Administrative Trail will leave the Work Center and travel east past the sea crates directly out to 2N25. This will allow Volunteer and Staff green sticker access to the forest.

The southeast sections of 3W12 (now 3W65) and 3W13 will be decommissioned by chunking and mounding. There will be boulder barricades placed at the intersections with 2N28Y.

The section of 3W12 (now 3W65) from 2N28Y to 2N75 will be decommissioned and barricaded with boulders.

Looking at the northern sections of 3W12 (now 3W65) and 3W13 there will be two reroutes completed this week.

For 3W13, the reroute will occur above the last pitch of 3W13 that drops onto 3N34 at Willow Creek. This small section (steep hillclimb) will be decommissioned and barricaded. The 3W13 reroute will travel east directly onto 3N34.

The northern intersection of 3W12 (now 3W65) at 3N34 will be decommissioned and ~1/2 of 3W12 will be decommissioned heading west from said intersection. The reroute will connect 3W65 with 3N34.

Sometime in August 2010, the section of 3W12 (by now you should know is 3W65) from 2N75 WNW to 3N31.1 (Old Sewer Pond Road) will be decommissioned. The reroute will start near 3N31.1 and will travel NNE connecting with 3W13.
        Last edited by Mike-Motorbike; 05-03-10, 03:04 PM.

Comment

I know the source for both of those emails - and both emails are correct.
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Just to confirm my comments, first and most important, Thank you again to Doug, Jeff, Greg, and all of the Adopt-a-Trail folks. I have only joined the Holcomb AAT twice, but I admire the work and time spent by all. I've done several clean up's and try to donaate as I can. Truely an awesome thing.

On the closure issues, thats my cheesy 2 cents worth. That is not directed at anyone, just sometimes the system and principle.

I was lucky to have had good people in our group take me up and down those trails and teach me some good tricks. Thank you.

Mitch - Done

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Given the choice of:

Block any bypasses that aren't part of the official, approved trail.

-or-

Close Cleghorn, and many others like it, because the Forest Service cannot keep up with blocking illegal bypasses and patrol all the hundreds of miles of trails in SBNF.

I'll take blocking the bypasses and sticking to the original trail even if it's not 'as fun'.

p.s. those are the choices, like it or not.[/COLOR]
              [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
              Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                [COLOR="Sienna"]Given the choice of:

Block any bypasses that aren't part of the official, approved trail.

-or-

Close Cleghorn, and many others like it, because the Forest Service cannot keep up with blocking illegal bypasses and patrol all the hundreds of miles of trails in SBNF.

I'll take blocking the bypasses and sticking to the original trail even if it's not 'as fun'.

p.s. those are the choices, like it or not.[/COLOR]
                I completely agree. Although the tougher areas are closed, at least the main trail is still open. I'll still go there as often as I can just to get away from this area for a few hours! Cleghorn was my first real trail when my jeep was stock, and I still enjoy it now.
                -Justin

Comment

Originally posted by jeep_punk View Post
                  I completely agree. Although the tougher areas are closed, at least the main trail is still open. I'll still go there as often as I can just to get away from this area for a few hours! Cleghorn was my first real trail when my jeep was stock, and I still enjoy it now.
                  Mine too, If you want an alternative and not much farther away 2n17x is a good compromise and fairly scenic trail. Goes from silverwood to arrowhead.

Comment

Still makes you wonder why? Really why? Sorry just confused.

Mitch

Comment

I have wheeled SBNF since moving to CA twenty plus years back. I also have watched most those side trails get cut and evolve. I can say when I see a new one cut, I know what it will mean. I have a website that I scream and yell about legal wheeling and we need to keep it that way. But rarely do I go out that someone does not mention an infraction on that. Most of those trails are illegal. Protesting is not the answer, helping to keep ilegal wheelers off them is. I know they have the power to shut the main trail down if we do not.
                      Guess right now is a bad time to ask if anyone has done any proactive work to keep our legal trails open last month.
                      censored for having an opinion

Comment

I wonder how many of the people posting complaints in this thread submitted official comments during the Route Management process?

Comment

I worked for the US Forest Service on the San Bernardino National Forest and during the winter months I worked with the trails dozer. I was told that the state of California pays the forest service to get rid of trails that they say we don't need (by passes). That was my job to "rehab" the trails when it wasn't fire season.

Comment

Karstic,

I did not know about the "Route Management" posting or how submit comments overwise I would have been all over it. I have always sent letters on trails issues or land issues. Sorry I missed this one. It just makes me even more concerned about things like Mottino, Heartbreak, Pontiac........ Oh well, drive them while we can.

Mitch

Comment

A different perspective...

I'm seeing this in a bit different light than many of the people in this thread.

It is my understanding that ALL of the bypasses were previously illegal and that they were created by people going off-trail and cutting new trails on their own without permission.

They are now blocking most of these illegally cut trails.

Apparently, the positive aspect of what is happening is that they are retaining some of the bypasses and signing them into the management plan as "official."

I believe that the net result is that we are actually "gaining" official routes on Cleghorn that we will be allowed on once they've done some rehab.

There are other routes in the forest that are being re-routed for various reasons, but we're not losing them. As I understand it, most (if not all) of the reroutes are being applied to "administrative" routes, which are not supposed to be used by the general public anyway. So, most of us shouldn't even realize that these administrative routes are changing, since most of us are not authorized to use them anyway.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding or miscalculating something.

What I would ask of all of you is that you do not try to drive these blocked routes "in protest." That will only ensure that the entire route gets permanently closed, because it will only prove that the Forestry Service can not adequately manage that route.

Instead, please learn more about the existing planning process for the routes in the forest and become active in that process.

I personally know very little about the process at this time, but plan to learn more about it.

Respectfully,

Christian
                              "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Here is a spin to Christians comment. Why are we allowing a paid employee only access to a trail that the tax payers should have? Why is it every time I turn around, we are loosing trails and places to ride? Personally, I am tired of being the nice guy and hearing other nice guys say, just leave it along and let them do their thing so they don't close other trails. How about, we do what other groups do and make it difficult for them? If we made it hard to hold the paid position, no one would want it and we would keep our trails. I am not saying to break the law, just the oposite. Find out if whomever runs the show up there has Then report it to the papers. Make it very hard for anyone to want that position Sometimes, you just need to fight back and say WTF?

:2:

Comment

Working...
                                X