Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovely! Who else do we get to boycott? Boycotts are my favorite.

Kurt, you had that list of companies on your FB page a while back that supported the Utah wilderness area. I think it was related to this:
    http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...lose-Our-Lands

We could start a new thread for each company saying something that will show up well in the search engines. We can work on the language at the map class tomorrow.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I don't get your beef with them. I understand boycotting over high prices, but they are a store for hiking, camping, outxoors stuff. Its not a car store. If you want car stuff go to pep boys or wherever. If you want hiking boots or tents go to REI.

Comment

Originally posted by offbeatnpath View Post
        I don't get your beef with them. I understand boycotting over high prices, but they are a store for hiking, camping, outxoors stuff. Its not a car store. If you want car stuff go to pep boys or wherever. If you want hiking boots or tents go to REI.
        I don't understand boycotting over high prices. In fact, the opposite. I'm willing to pay higher prices simply TO boycott somebody I don't agree with (Wal-Mart for instance).

It's not that REI doesn't provide Jeep/car parts. The problem is that they donate to organizations like the Sierra Club. The Sierra Club is widely known for supporting bills that CLOSE TRAILS to motorized use, donating money to campaigns that CLOSE TRAILS to motorized use, supporting candidates that CLOSE TRAILS to motorized use. I want absolutely no part of that, even if REI sells some pretty awesome stuff.
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

[COLOR="#800000"]Well said Mat. Admittedly, REI has some great products I would REALLY like to have, but their agenda against keeping public land open to the public is not something I'm going to fund with my dollars. So my love affair with Bass Pro Shop, or Amazon online will continue until further notice.[/COLOR]

Originally posted by sarah View Post
          Lovely! Who else do we get to boycott? Boycotts are my favorite.

Kurt, you had that list of companies on your FB page a while back that supported the Utah wilderness area. I think it was related to this:
          http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...lose-Our-Lands

We could start a new thread for each company saying something that will show up well in the search engines. We can work on the language at the map class tomorrow.
          [COLOR="#800000"]I know some of you have the inside track to Del Albright's email. I'm pretty sure he has this list of companies that do not support public lands being open to everyone.[/COLOR]
          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by offbeatnpath View Post
            An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

[COLOR="#800000"]Answered my own question. This link will take you to the letter sent to POTUS to close millions of acres of land to off-road use, and the companies that backed the letter.

http://www.delalbright.com/Access/Ca...s%20letter.pdf[/COLOR]

Comment

Redwing Shoe and Camelback are on that list.
                holes = cowbell

Comment

Jansport, New Belgium Brewing, Burton Snowboards are on the list as well...

I have a knock-off camelback, no worries there for me, but no more backpacks from Jansport, no more Fat Tire (oh well), and no more Burton/Red equipment for when I'm snowboarding...

Comment

[COLOR="#800000"]Wife just bought me a camelback for Christmas... Camelbak has a pretty big contract with the military also. Grrrr...[/COLOR]

Comment

Enjoy your Camelbak without guilt.

Maybe it's on us. I'm sure at least some of these companies have backed that junk somewhat naively. The enviro-nazis have lobbied them, and the off-roaders, prospectors, and others haven't.
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                        Enjoy your Camelbak without guilt.

Maybe it's on us. I'm sure at least some of these companies have backed that junk somewhat naively. The enviro-nazis have lobbied them, and the off-roaders, prospectors, and others haven't.
                        Which is what a former friend that works at REI told me about REI's endorsement of the Sierra Club. She told me they no longer support them, but because of their stance on only supporting "Human Powered" outdoor activities, they will never be in support of OHV use.

Comment

That shouldn't be a problem. Jeeps are human-powered. They are also dinosaur-powered. In fact, they're powered by all the living organisms that were buried together in breathtakingly large numbers and quantity under vast amounts of water and sediment, and thus turned into oil. But REI probably believes that oil was formed over millions of years by random dinosaur or plankton attrition. They probably don't believe that the earth was made for the enjoyment of humans, but rather that we're the one aberrant evolutionary hiccup that's going to destroy it all.

Don't they believe that less physically capable people should be able to enjoy nature too? Oh wait, I know the answer to that one: "survival of the fittest."
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                            I don't understand boycotting over high prices. In fact, the opposite. I'm willing to pay higher prices simply TO boycott somebody I don't agree with (Wal-Mart for instance).

It's not that REI doesn't provide Jeep/car parts. The problem is that they donate to organizations like the Sierra Club. The Sierra Club is widely known for supporting bills that CLOSE TRAILS to motorized use, donating money to campaigns that CLOSE TRAILS to motorized use, supporting candidates that CLOSE TRAILS to motorized use. I want absolutely no part of that, even if REI sells some pretty awesome stuff.
                            I didn't realize. In the beginning of this post it sounded like people not liking the store because it didn't sell car stuff. At least that is how i took it.

Comment

Working...
                            X