Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barker View Post
    this is a great reply, because it brings up one of the fundemental reasons the designation of "Wilderness" is all wrong. we can protect these lands with a better designation. There is a new Designation being thrown around and considered, Back Country, This would allow trails for motorized recreation. It also deals with the fact that the designation "wilderness" only provides for the physical elite to beable to access more than just the fringes. Any one with any form of handicap, or not in peak physical shape cannot access the inner parts of wilderness and that is one of the biggest crimes.

Anyway, go to this link to check out Back COuntry
    http://www.sharetrails.org/backcountry/

Something like this might actually work if accompanied by lawsuits. Get some ads going with disabled kids, aging baby boomers, and lump together everybody else with any type of ailment from athsma to cancer to diabeties and SUE. We live in a currupt society where money and lawyers rule . . . call me a cynic but letter writing, petitions, etc only go so far when the money and lawyers are in the pockets of the sierra club and the likes.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
      Something like this might actually work if accompanied by lawsuits. Get some ads going with disabled kids, aging baby boomers, and lump together everybody else with any type of ailment from athsma to cancer to diabeties and SUE. We live in a currupt society where money and lawyers rule . . . call me a cynic but letter writing, petitions, etc only go so far when the money and lawyers are in the pockets of the sierra club and the likes.
      cynic

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Hate to encourage More lawsuits in this country but I guess you gotta fight fire w/ fire. Great idea!

Oh and F! REI!:censor:

Comment

One reason why I love to see those "money" guys in the FJ Cruisers, Hummers etc on the trail is places like REI will actually pay attention when a bit more yuppie crowd with disposable income starts talking.

Comment

I am also with everyone here.
            Here in Fresno we just got a REI about 1 year ago.
            I am into the outdoor's ALOT with camping, Wheeling and hiking.
            I went to go check it out to go see what the noise was about and after looking around it was pretty neat in there.
            I also needed a new sleeping bag and a few other thing's so i picked them up and went to go check out and when i did the lady at the counter asked if i would like to donate a dollar to the sierra club.
            I then told her no and asked why they were doing that because up here the sierra club is trying to shut down everything from wheeling to camping. The only thing they support is the camping in controlled area's like those little camping area's where you have some one next to you on each side and it is like living in an appartment with thinner wall's!
            I than saw a little piece of paper on there counter saying that REI is on of the biggest supporter's of the sierra club. When i saw that i told the lady i could not shop here and then left.
            In my own oppinion i dont understand why they support the sierra club because if the sierra club get's everything that they are wishing for REI would be out of buissnes.
            There would be almost no camping, no wheeling, no hicking and nothing along those line's.
            Sorry for the rant but i feel alot better now!
            I am also going to send a letter stating what i feel.
            1993 YJ 4.0 5 speed 5" suspension lift, 8.8 conversion, 33 12.50-15 SS TSL bias ply wrapped around 15x10 Black crager's, OBA and Bumpers just to name a few

Comment

Originally posted by bruce p View Post
              I don't see any reason why REI should not be solicited to contribute to MJR trail maintenance endeavors, for example. Maybe some logo jackets and chairs for Sarah?
              That's a good idea!
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                cynic

Believing or showing the belief that people are motivated chiefly by base or selfish concerns; skeptical of the motives of others;Negative or pessimistic, as from world-weariness;Expressing jaded or scornful skepticism or negativity

Yeah that pretty much sums it up!!! Guilty as charged and wouldn't have it any other way
                That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Believing or showing the belief that people are motivated chiefly by base or selfish concerns; skeptical of the motives of others;Negative or pessimistic, as from world-weariness;Expressing jaded or scornful skepticism or negativity

Yeah that pretty much sums it up!!! Guilty as charged and wouldn't have it any other way
                  I call it being a realist
                  I get accused of being a cynic all the time, but when I point out the facts, suddenly they see it different.
                  Anyway, Do a Search for Disabled Explorers, a friend on mine, we call him One Leg Lance, started the nonprofit a few years ago, we really like the way he is running with it. It is all about getting handicapped people to our public lands. He is quite the wheeler and the outdoors guy. He pushes we need more access to wilderness for handicapped.
                  let me see
                  http://www.disabledexplorers.com/
                  Give him a email and send a few bucks, he will appreciate it. tell him Highbeams directed you there.

now back to REI, I pointed out the policies to a few other websites and seem to get mixed results, it is good that everyone here realizes the seriousness of the situation. Funding the other side is not a positive.
                  Last edited by blackZZR; 12-21-08, 12:58 AM.
                  censored for having an opinion

Comment

Angela Cook of Cal 4 Wheel is also very involved with disabled access and has been putting on an annual event to highlight the disabled and off roading. Here is a link:

http://www.cal4wheel.com/index.php?o...=71&Itemid=102
                    Rich

Comment

Here's their comment page. https://secure.opinionlab.com/ccc01/..._var=undefined

I think we should all chime in.

After the passage of S 22 there's still smoke coming from the top of my head.
                      Stacie Albright
                      Life Member BlueRibbon Coalition

Comment

Originally posted by ME
                        To Whom It May Concern:

Hello, my name is Mat Mrosko. I'm an avid outdoor enthusiast, however not as only an occasional hiker, but also as an Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) user. I am a member of a community of Jeepers in Southern California who dedicate much of our time and money to keeping Jeep trails open for public use so our friends, family, and children can enjoy them for years to come.

Our group volunteers for many things including ForestAid (a partnership between the San Bernardino National Forest and "TreePeople" to re-forest burn areas), as well as the San Bernardino National Forest's Adopt-a-trail program to keep local OHV trails open.

There are a lot of OHV enthusiasts who specifically boycott REI because it is known that REI donates money to the Sierra Club, an outright anti-OHV organization. I would like to know if REI has any official stance on OHV use as it would be a shame if people were boycotting REI when your interest in donating to the Sierra Club is not with the intention of an anti-OHV statement. I looked everywhere on your website and can't find anything specific to being anti-OHV, however the signs are there. The picture on your "REI Gives" page is taken to prominently show a tire, implying vehicles should not be near trails. You don't really sell anything that could be for OHV use, aside from a book of Jeep/Hiking trails (Item # 718580).

Is there anybody at REI who can make a public/official statement on the company's stance on OHV use?

For what it's worth, there are many pro-OHV use groups that are always accepting donations, including (but not limited to) CORVA, Tread Lightly, and Blue Ribbon Coalition.

I look forward to your reply via either e-mail or I can be reached at XXX-XXX-XXXX. If this contact form is not the proper contact, please let me know who I can call or e-mail to follow up with.

Thank you for your time,
                        Mat Mrosko
                        Well, today I wrote a letter, we'll see if I hear back.
                        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                          x2 - EXACTLY!!! (I've taken this approach for many things... electronics, camping stuff, Jeep stuff, etc.)
                          not to buzz off track.. but this is why customer service at most places has tanked.. because why would "I" as a past retail store owner.. want to invest in a retail store... and all the expenses that come with it.. so. i can invest time in what I thought would be a customer.. only to loose it to a online store that sells stuff at a very low mark up.. but offers no face to face customer support.. (thats why your at my store to begin with) this drove me insane.. hence one of the many reasons I sold my retail store..

so.. SUPPORT you local stores.. that employee people that know their shit.. those store fronts, lights, and people that "YOU PICK THEIR BRAIN" cost money..

Because sooner than later.. you will be buyin your offorad parts from WalMart.. and we know how informed they are...

But.. this doesnt apply to REI.. "F" them

[COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]
                          PARTS, SERVICE, INSTALLATION & CUSTOM FAB...

Comment

"Originally Posted by bruce p
                            REI has a nice little section where you can post your feedback to them. Here's mine- made me feel better (tried to avoid looking at what was on sale there while I ranted to them):

You are very selective in what you support and how you support it. Not all customers agree, for example, with your blind and blithe support of radical environmental groups.

I am an avid hiker, cyclist, backpacker and Boy Scout leader. I also enjoy responsible off road activities in my Jeep (gets me to some great hiking and camping spots) and motorcycle. There are many more folks like me who see the need to balance environmental use and interests; unfortunately, groups you support don't generally see it that way at all.

As an example, groups you support advocate the designation of the White Mountains as wilderness. Ever been there? Neat trees that few people visit now; with a wilderness designation, I (and virtually all others) will NOT hike the 15+ miles and 8k+ elevation gain in to see the trees. Your benefactors will have closed off these trees to the outside world. Why?

I can give you LOTS more examples, but you get the idea. Get real with your support of environmental causes, do a better job of balancing the interests of interested parties and stop pandering to the granola crowd. Many responsible outdoor enthusiasts decline to shop at your stores because of your unwavering support for radical environmental groups. Take a survey of these folks and hear a differnt view for a change.

I like your stores but am re-thinking whether I can continue to purchase from you."[/I][/I][/I]

What a great post...the sad thing is like post eludes to, we are all environmentalist of sorts. We get out and do what we do becasue we love nature, we choose to do it in or on a motorized vehicle. I (we) do not trash our lands, pack it in, pack it out, tread lightly and respect our land and hopefully the extremists wont take it away.
                            Last edited by one_crf_pilot; 06-04-10, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Rei still feels they should support wilderness.
                              I still tell everyone I know, including green people about that and not to shop there ever. I showed a lot of people this spring during Forest Aide how I felt and I think some of them saw it. Now that is good, getting tree people to realize how no access means them also.
                              A letter to REI is one thing, but cloning that letter in some one else is excellent.
                              censored for having an opinion

Comment

I have not taken the time to look at where their corporate officers went to school, but I would bet it is the liberal colleges back east, or bay area.

I am sure REI has many employees that donate to the Sierra Club. I would bet they have a corporate policy to also match these donations.
                                I just started working at Chevron, and if I donate time to a non-profit, Chevron will also send them a check up to $1000 for 40 hours of my time that I donate.

I listed my non-profit as the Cal4Wheel Foundation, as I am on this BOD.

Todd
                                Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
                                Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

Working...
                                X