Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REI boycott ?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • REI boycott ?

    I noticed on the "About The Site" page there is a note about REI not supporting motor vehicles. There was link to and explanation but I think the page has changed because there is no mention of motor vehicles on it. What is up with REI? I am not a Troll, just curious.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

  • #2
    I don't know what the old link said, but REI is a large financial supporter of the Sierra Club, which is reason enough for me to avoid shopping there.
    "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

    Comment


    • #3
      Their prices were enough to scare me away . . . well that and the bunch of metro rock climbers in spandex practicing on the rock wall.
      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

      Comment


      • #4
        The point is they don't mention motor vehicles. That link shows what REI *does* support. Since you don't see off highway vehicles listed in their recreational activities, they don't support it.

        Also, as was already mentioned, their support of the Sierra Club.
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

        http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

        Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

        Comment


        • #5
          wow I just added them to my do not shop list
          Ford Raptor 6.2l

          Comment


          • #6
            I have not shopped there in a few years, but now I will tell my friends to stay away from that place also!
            Money pit!

            Comment


            • #7
              Materdaddy is right - they specifically support organizations that are very anti-motorsport. Like the Sierra Club, and all of the other "foot trail" and nature conservancy peoples. I haven't looked at the link in a while, but if you want to see for yourself, you can probably find significant proof of this in about 5 minutes.

              It does kill me because REI is a very cool store - but as mentioned above the prices are pretty much retail. I think it's fun to head in, pick their brains, and then buy whatever it is I'm looking for online for less.
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sarah View Post
                I think it's fun to head in, pick their brains, and then buy whatever it is I'm looking for online for less.
                x2 - EXACTLY!!! (I've taken this approach for many things... electronics, camping stuff, Jeep stuff, etc.)
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

                http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

                Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ok I see. I did google it but didn't find much. I am actually a rock climber. I try hard not to be metro. But I don't usually shop at REI. Adventure 16 is much cheeper.
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Maybe a short email to their customer service department, indicating that they are losing sales because of their unqualified support of groups like the Sierra Club are in order.

                    You might be surprised- some of these outfits have made a conscious decision to take "sides" while othere have just plain not thought it through and blithely believe that by contributing to a big envirnmental cause,that everyone will love them and buy from them.

                    I am not suggesting that their support of folks like SC would waiver to any great extent, but they may count the cost and perhaps look to support some other groups as well. I don't see any reason why REI should not be solicited to contribute to MJR trail maintenance endeavors, for example. Maybe some logo jackets and chairs for Sarah?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by brucep
                      Maybe a short email to their customer service department, indicating that they are losing sales because of their unqualified support of groups like the Sierra Club are in order.

                      You might be surprised- some of these outfits have made a conscious decision to take "sides" while othere have just plain not thought it through and blithely believe that by contributing to a big envirnmental cause,that everyone will love them and buy from them.
                      There is a thread on Pirate or NAXJA (can't remember which) about this very topic. SOmeone did as you suggested and wrote an email to REI and REI's response was their focus is on "muscle-based" recreation and that's what their corporate philanthropy will support.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by karstic View Post
                        There is a thread on Pirate or NAXJA (can't remember which) about this very topic. SOmeone did as you suggested and wrote an email to REI and REI's response was their focus is on "muscle-based" recreation and that's what their corporate philanthropy will support.
                        Here it is

                        http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...&highlight=rei

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It takes muscles to stack rocks, work a high lift, do a trail repair, right?

                          I knew I was being too optimistic ....

                          I guess I have to limit myself to shopping for outdoor gear at places that sell guns and camo now.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            REI has a nice little section where you can post your feedback to them. Here's mine- made me feel better (tried to avoid looking at what was on sale there while I ranted to them):


                            You are very selective in what you support and how you support it. Not all customers agree, for example, with your blind and blithe support of radical environmental groups.

                            I am an avid hiker, cyclist, backpacker and Boy Scout leader. I also enjoy responsible off road activities in my Jeep (gets me to some great hiking and camping spots) and motorcycle. There are many more folks like me who see the need to balance environmental use and interests; unfortunately, groups you support don't generally see it that way at all.

                            As an example, groups you support advocate the designation of the White Mountains as wilderness. Ever been there? Neat trees that few people visit now; with a wilderness designation, I (and virtually all others) will NOT hike the 15+ miles and 8k+ elevation gain in to see the trees. Your benefactors will have closed off these trees to the outside world. Why?

                            I can give you LOTS more examples, but you get the idea. Get real with your support of environmental causes, do a better job of balancing the interests of interested parties and stop pandering to the granola crowd. Many responsible outdoor enthusiasts decline to shop at your stores because of your unwavering support for radical environmental groups. Take a survey of these folks and hear a differnt view for a change.

                            I like your stores but am re-thinking whether I can continue to purchase from you.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bruce p View Post
                              REI has a nice little section where you can post your feedback to them. Here's mine- made me feel better (tried to avoid looking at what was on sale there while I ranted to them):


                              You are very selective in what you support and how you support it. Not all customers agree, for example, with your blind and blithe support of radical environmental groups.

                              I am an avid hiker, cyclist, backpacker and Boy Scout leader. I also enjoy responsible off road activities in my Jeep (gets me to some great hiking and camping spots) and motorcycle. There are many more folks like me who see the need to balance environmental use and interests; unfortunately, groups you support don't generally see it that way at all.

                              As an example, groups you support advocate the designation of the White Mountains as wilderness. Ever been there? Neat trees that few people visit now; with a wilderness designation, I (and virtually all others) will NOT hike the 15+ miles and 8k+ elevation gain in to see the trees. Your benefactors will have closed off these trees to the outside world. Why?

                              I can give you LOTS more examples, but you get the idea. Get real with your support of environmental causes, do a better job of balancing the interests of interested parties and stop pandering to the granola crowd. Many responsible outdoor enthusiasts decline to shop at your stores because of your unwavering support for radical environmental groups. Take a survey of these folks and hear a differnt view for a change.

                              I like your stores but am re-thinking whether I can continue to purchase from you.
                              this is a great reply, because it brings up one of the fundemental reasons the designation of "Wilderness" is all wrong. we can protect these lands with a better designation. There is a new Designation being thrown around and considered, Back Country, This would allow trails for motorized recreation. It also deals with the fact that the designation "wilderness" only provides for the physical elite to beable to access more than just the fringes. Any one with any form of handicap, or not in peak physical shape cannot access the inner parts of wilderness and that is one of the biggest crimes.

                              Anyway, go to this link to check out Back COuntry
                              http://www.sharetrails.org/backcountry/
                              Have Smackos, will travel

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X