Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to say thank you to all the contributors of this thread. It convinced me to get my license and all the links helped me to pass.

Thanks

Thomas
    KJ6GPC

Comment

Originally posted by hollywood32 View Post
      Just wanted to say thank you to all the contributors of this thread. It convinced me to get my license and all the links helped me to pass.

Thanks

Thomas
      KJ6GPC
      That's great Thomas! Welcome to the word of Ham radio!

Roger - N6UJM
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by hollywood32 View Post

Thanks

Thomas
        KJ6GPC
        Congrats!!! If you need to do any test transmissions or just want to say hi - let me know and we can find a repeater to meet up.
        KJ6GAC
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Rancho Cucamonga to Apple Valley?? Piece of cake!

Big Bear
          Keller
          Crestline
          Wrightwood
          WIN system (Santiago to Quartzite)

To name a few repeaters!!
          MJR moderator
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger...can you get into WIN? I can hit 2 WIN repeaters from my house. We'll have to sked a QSO

Comment

I can't get to it from home but I can from work and on my commute from Bear Valley Rd/Hwy 18 to work and back.

Morning: 0630 - 0700
              Lunch: 1200 - 1300 +/-
              Evening: 1700 - 1730

Roger - N6UJM
              MJR moderator
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

I'll try giving you a shout soon!

Comment

Originally posted by The-Hurricane View Post
                  i still dont get how they catch and fine you????? stop every jeep with a radio ant and look inside?
                  With a directional antenna and an attenuator -- it might as well be a sport. In fact, "fox hunting", which is locating a hidden transmitter using radio direction finding, is a ham sport.

The majority of hams have worked hard to earn their licenses (not just by memorizing test questions but taking the time to build their knowledge of electrical & RF theory, FCC regs, and good operating practices) and don't appreciate folks who have no idea what they're doing interfering on amateur frequencies (which, of course, is against the law and if the FCC catches you operating w/o a license the penalties are *steep*).

As was mentioned earlier in this thread (perhaps more than once) most hams would also be more than happy to take the time to help you learn what you need to know to get your license and help you get your equipment set up and get on the air -- it benefits everyone involved.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by robk View Post
                    With a directional antenna and an attenuator -- it might as well be a sport. In fact, "fox hunting", which is locating a hidden transmitter using radio direction finding, is a ham sport.

The majority of hams have worked hard to earn their licenses (not just by memorizing test questions but taking the time to build their knowledge of electrical & RF theory, FCC regs, and good operating practices) and don't appreciate folks who have no idea what they're doing interfering on amateur frequencies (which, of course, is against the law and if the FCC catches you operating w/o a license the penalties are *steep*).

As was mentioned earlier in this thread (perhaps more than once) most hams would also be more than happy to take the time to help you learn what you need to know to get your license and help you get your equipment set up and get on the air -- it benefits everyone involved.

Rob
                    I have to agree about the self policing part of being a Ham, Yes i did work hard to get my license and then upgrade that license, and I love to experiment with antennas and do Ham type stuff.
                    I originally moved up to ham to get away from teh Idiots messing with the CB channels and I am one of those people who do help enforce the rules and regulations of the ham bands. Why? So it does not get to the point of CB
                    Check out some of the 2 meter or 70 CM at night and you will see it can get bad. Without self policing it has the potential to be just another wacked out cb range of radio. You will find that most hams are this way and find that you will get the FCC at your doorstep if you do not conform to the rules.
                    What can be achieved with 5 watts on a ham band cannot be achieved with 100 on the cb, and we want it that way, clean and clear, so ask for help, any ham will help you, ask for advice, it is the same, but start running an illegal rig and you will find the entire community is searching you out.
                    the community is serious, if you go to a reputable ham radio dealer and want to buy a radio, the first thing they want is your license number, they then do a quick search and ask for your name to check it, part of that self policing.
                    Last edited by blackZZR; 06-12-10, 05:54 AM.
                    censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR View Post
                      if you go to a reputable ham radio dealer and want to buy a radio, the first thing they want is your license number, they then do a quick search and ask for your name to check it, part of that self policing.
                      I disagree with that, I went to a dealer that several people recommended let him know I was getting books to get my license and I had some really stupid questions about HAM radios if I wanted to purchase the Kenwood I was looking at he didn't seem to have issue.

It's not illegal to broadcast on HAM frequencies if it's a life or death emergency and as such I'm fairly sure you can get a radio to keep in the jeep.. But without opening a book I took a practice test and hit 77 so that tells you it's just better to know what your doing study and pass the test I do agree with keeping people honest and policing up the trash.

Just my .02
                      Sarcasm is my body's natural response to stupid.

Comment

Test get harder as you go up, the tech test is mainly common sense, you hit extra and there is a lot of circuitry and math, of course that is a luck of the draw too. You can pull an easy test and if you know basic electronics or radio then the test are simple. I got my generals license and studied hard for that, I drew an easier (for me) test, everyone has their strengths. When I went for my tech years ago I drew a hard test, barely passed. I only missed one on my generals.
                        I never said they would not sell to a non ham, they usually check out hams and steer them this way or that if they are not licensed. A store will get a bad rep with the community if it is found out a lot of illegal guys are getting equipment from there.
                        censored for having an opinion

Comment

HRO asked for my call sign and I told them I was waiting for it to show up in the ULS. I think they just ask to make sure you are aware that the equipment you are buying requires a license to operate.
                          Those left standing
                          Will make millions
                          Writing books on ways
                          It should have been
                          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                            HRO asked for my call sign and I told them I was waiting for it to show up in the ULS. I think they just ask to make sure you are aware that the equipment you are buying requires a license to operate.
                            They asked me too. I also think they use your call sign to sell to the ARRL and/or others. My wife got her license the same day as me, and I get tons of ARRL/HRO stuff in the mail, she gets none. That's the only place I can think of that my sign would have "gotten out" and not hers. Maybe shopping at HRO qualifies you as an "active" ham so they give your info away.
                            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Ok for those interested but not licensed after this month the test changes. If you want to take the test here is the links for the FRN number registration and testing locations.
                              https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do
                              http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-...e-exam-session

Another list here:
                              http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17759
                              Last edited by sarah; 06-16-10, 11:17 PM. Reason: added link to events forum
                              "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt2001TJ View Post
                                Ok for those interested but not licensed after this month the test changes. If you want to take the test here is the links for the FRN number registration and testing locations.
                                https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do
                                http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-...e-exam-session

Another list here:
                                http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17759
                                Just for clarity, the only question pool expiring on June 30 is the Technician pool.

The current General pool is valid until June 30, 2011 and the current Extra pool is valid until June 30, 2012.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                                X