Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SAR Jeeper View Post
    I could, I have my VE card (Volunteer Examiner.) You need 3 at a testing session. My club alternates from beach to mountains each year, and after field day on Sunday, we host a testing session.

Club link:
    http://www.ircradio.org/
    Im starting to get tempted again,...Sar,.. all ya need is two more VE's and half of MJR is set
    "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

I have taken the practice tests online. I pass half of the time and haven’t read the study book yet. 35 questions and you are allowed to miss nine. In my town they have a test the second Saturday of every month. I was holding off but I just realized I can set up a 2M radio for about $200. I thought it would be much more than that.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I got my HAM Technical class license last year in preparation for a major solo trip through Utah. Currently, only have the rig in my Land Rover, but my wife expressed interest in getting licensed and having one in the Jeep as well. so cool!

I currently have an Icom 208H, but I find it non-sensical in it's basic operations. I'm fairly good when it comes to buttonology, but this radio's acroynms are frustratingly complex, and the manual is fairly useless.

On the ExPo forum, there have been a few SoCal meet-ups with HAMs, and I learned a LOT from them in a short time. If you seasoned HAMs stage a get together, I definitely want to attend.

I will probably get a Yasea 7800 or similar for the Jeep. Seems capable and simplier to operate.

Cool HAM story: I spent an entire day tearing apart my Land Rover to install my radio as cleanly as possible. I put it all back together, turned it on and scanned some frequencies. The VERY FIRST thing I heard was the astronauts on the Space Station talking to JPL. That was so cool. Been hooked ever since.
        Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
        Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
        HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

nwoods,

I have the 7800. It is easy to operate but very difficult to program. I did buy the programming software when I purchased the radio. I recommend that you buy the software when you buy the radio. You will need it. It's a great radio though.

I have yet to find an easy programable radio. I don't know why they can't design them to operate the way that police scanners work.
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
            Cool HAM story: I spent an entire day tearing apart my Land Rover to install my radio as cleanly as possible. I put it all back together, turned it on and scanned some frequencies. The VERY FIRST thing I heard was the astronauts on the Space Station talking to JPL. That was so cool. Been hooked ever since.
            way cool, I remember as a teenager my father brought me into his radio room and he was listening to the astronauts on a mission. One of my favs was a QSO with a Mr. Yuni off the coast of Japan in a fishing boat.
            Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 05-16-09, 01:14 PM.

Comment

I just found through a yahoo search that someone decided to honor my father,...kinda brought a tear to my eye.
              http://www.w6tj.org/SilentKeyMemorial.htm WA6EDC

Comment

I would much rather use my Ham Radio on the runs then the CB I use. I have (I should say HAD, since it seems to not work properly now) an IC-207H 2M/70cm that I had mounted in the GIJeep for something amounting to 10 Years. It worked flawlessly until this passed weekend.

To take the test I studied the guide for a few months then went and passes the two tests for a Tech No-Code License.

KF6PBX
                Joel

Comment

i still dont get how they catch and fine you????? stop every jeep with a radio ant and look inside?

Comment

The HAM community is pretty tight knit, and mostly made of retired folks with nothing better to do than defend their turf from interlopers. There are people whose "job" it is to sniff out illegal transmitters and shut them down. And yes, there is a fine issued by the Federal Government.

Those same guys with too much time on their hands can be the nicest, most welcoming, gracious and helpful folks you'd ever want to meet. But they want you to go through the same process they have to get there.

The test is Easy, the benefits are tangible. This is one of those simple Character/Moral equations it just doesn't make any sense to be on the wrong side of.
                    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by The-Hurricane View Post
                      i still dont get how they catch and fine you????? stop every jeep with a radio ant and look inside?
                      They police themselves for the most part. Twenty and thirty plus years ago there was a LOT more traffic out there so then they also had more problems with "bootleggers" now more of them more than ever would like to see new people join them because if the bands are not used they eventually get taken away and allocated for other things. On the other hand FCC is not as near a feared thing like in the 70s and 80s either. The dreaded letter one would have to sign for from the other government agency the US postal service informing them of "violations" and what could happen next and or the white van with tinted windows and multi antennas with Government issued plates that is four wheel drive hunting you down and well,...ill just leave it at that.
                      Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 05-18-09, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                        The test is Easy, the benefits are tangible. This is one of those simple Character/Moral equations it just doesn't make any sense to be on the wrong side of.
                        X2 Well put :thumbs_up
                        Those left standing
                        Will make millions
                        Writing books on ways
                        It should have been
                        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt2001TJ View Post
                          I just found through a yahoo search that someone decided to honor my father,...kinda brought a tear to my eye.
                          http://www.w6tj.org/SilentKeyMemorial.htm WA6EDC
                          Thats cool. Someday, I'll find myself on that list!

A couple of cool stories of mine...
                          I got my first license in 6th grade...novice class. After about 20 years had past, I spoke to my teach...on the air! Kinda a cool connection.

While talking to a guy in Kobe Japan, my wife comes in and tells me its time for dinner. I sign off with him, telling him its dinner time. He says, you know, you are about to eat dinner on Thursday evening, and I am about to eat lunch on Friday afternoon!

About a week after my wife's mother passed away, I got home from work late. I went into the shack, and started my CQ's in morse code. Little did I know the RF was making our bedroom nightstand light turn on and off. I just hear my wife screaming, "STEVE MY MOM IS HERE!!!"

My very first contact on my rig at home, was with a guy in Uruguay. Another time, I spoke to a guy in Poland, and I was getting his signal as it came from both sides (1 signal direct, other around the world to me). Kinda tough because it was like a 1/2 second delay and communication was tough.

Comment

Originally posted by SAR Jeeper View Post
                            Thats cool. Someday, I'll find myself on that list!

A couple of cool stories of mine...
                            I got my first license in 6th grade...novice class. After about 20 years had past, I spoke to my teach...on the air! Kinda a cool connection.

While talking to a guy in Kobe Japan, my wife comes in and tells me its time for dinner. I sign off with him, telling him its dinner time. He says, you know, you are about to eat dinner on Thursday evening, and I am about to eat lunch on Friday afternoon!

About a week after my wife's mother passed away, I got home from work late. I went into the shack, and started my CQ's in morse code. Little did I know the RF was making our bedroom nightstand light turn on and off. I just hear my wife screaming, "STEVE MY MOM IS HERE!!!"

My very first contact on my rig at home, was with a guy in Uruguay. Another time, I spoke to a guy in Poland, and I was getting his signal as it came from both sides (1 signal direct, other around the world to me). Kinda tough because it was like a 1/2 second delay and communication was tough.
                            Those are some GREAT stories Sar,.. that is so cool....Matt

Comment

So Chris,

We've all been kinda rambling - are you getting the answers you want? We'll take your questions!!
                              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                              MJR moderator
                              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                                So Chris,

We've all been kinda rambling - are you getting the answers you want? We'll take your questions!!
                                No questions, just learning. I'll be at the HAM MnG that Doug set up. I'm sure I'll have some questions then.
                                [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                                SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                                X