Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is incorrect - only licensed operators are allowed to use the radio - and your callsign is "unassignable". There is a provision for "third party" use - but you basically have to still be in complete control of your radio, and you have to ID within the requirements of Part 97.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

As a point of information, the majority of race communications is in the 151MHz band. For instance, Weatherman/BFG Relay and others use 151.625MHz for race communication and other support efforts in that frequency region.
      Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
        As a point of information, the majority of race communications is in the 151MHz band. For instance, Weatherman/BFG Relay and others use 151.625MHz for race communication and other support efforts in that frequency region.
        so, does the rule i was speaking of in the previous post apply to the race frequencies?
        this is the application for which i was told the rule applies.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

You aren't operating on the race frequencies as a ham operator - hams don't have privliges on 151 mHZ (and legally you can't use ham radios to talk on race frequencies - they're not Type Accepted for that use)
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
            You aren't operating on the race frequencies as a ham operator - hams don't have privliges on 151 mHZ (and legally you can't use ham radios to talk on race frequencies - they're not Type Accepted for that use)
            fair enough. lucky for me, mine isnt um... on the race frequencies.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

That radio probably can receive outside of the 2m ham band. My guess is if your radio is programmed to a race frequency it is for "receive" only. As I mentioned in an earlier post my Yeasu is programmed with a number of VHF Public service frequencies.
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Nothing illegal about listening
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY

Comment

how can people even know whos doing the talking if they arent licensed? who tickets them?

Comment

On the ham bands, it's pretty easy to spot a non licensed person - for one they don't have a callsign (which they need to say at an interval in the conversation. Pretty easy for a ham to spot a non ham by listening.

As far as citations, that's the FCC. $$ and usually confiscation of the radio.
                    Jeff
                    OHV76V
                    KG6TY

Comment

Thanks for all the info here. I am interested as well. It would be nice if we had a few more radios with us on Big Bear workdays.
                      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
                        Thanks for all the info here. I am interested as well. It would be nice if we had a few more radios with us on Big Bear workdays.
                        Ham radios? Or are you talking about FS radios?
                        Jeff
                        OHV76V
                        KG6TY

Comment

Nothing illegal about listening
                          True,..and besides,..better to have more people out there with a ham ticket than none at all "use it or lose it" when it comes to band allocations. I grew up with all this stuff in the late 60s and all through the 70s and 80s as my father was Air Force MARS operator ever since I could remember and I owned and worked in a radio shop as well so I also had my hands in the fire . I do believe they quit giving out WA6 call signs a LONG time ago. For those that think that if you went to the ham bands then you would not have to deal with the rude and unruly like on 11 meter (CB radio) can think again and on the same note some hams do not always like being reminded of the infamous 147.435 repeater on the 2 meter band proving that night after night for years those guy's made a LOT of CBers look like saints. I believe there are good and bad CBers and Hams alike. Any ham radio operator that treats people badly in ANY way (seen and heard that one many times) just because they are a long standing ham or relative to the potential strength of there station VS. another is just as bad as any CBer. After all, just like in our four wheel drives,... we all started at the same place,.. the begining. Either way,.. on a positive note it is all good for trail communications and then some regardless of ham or citizens band if ran properly. I have also thought about getting back into such things as well but have some second thoughts at the same time.
                          "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Ahh, 147.035 - the old KAOS machine!
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY

Comment

Ahh, 147.035 - the old KAOS machine!
                              No kidding uh LOL,.. that would still be an understatement and then some. That repeater = insanity :wink:
                              "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

I always thought the 146.61 machine (the old "01/61") was worst - at least in the early 80's
                                Jeff
                                OHV76V
                                KG6TY

Comment

Working...
                                X