pros/cons

?

:dunno:
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Chris,

I've been a ham since 1987. The licensing requirements have changed since then! You no longer need to learn Morse code to get the license. There is a simple written test you have to pass. with a little study out of a study guide it's easy to pass.

Pros:
    More reliabe than CB's

No (or very little) riff-raff hang out on the ham bands.

There are repeaters located all over southern California and there is usually someone monitoring. For example in areas of JV where cell phone don't work, there are a few repeaters that can be easily accessed. Can't beat Ham radio in an emergency.

There are quite a few MJR members tht are hams. I have a 2m/440 MHz dual band radio in my Jeep. I would have given you a demonstration today if I had known!

That's it for now, I gotta get to bed!
    Last edited by Roger; 05-09-09, 10:34 PM.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

The SBNFA offers a 2 day course. $25 and you get a study book.

I didn't want to give up 2 days so I just spent a few hours studying online. There is a pool of 300 possible questions.

http://radioteacher.googlepages.com/...anssubelements

There are multiple sites that have sample tests.

http://aa9pw.com/radio/
      http://www.eham.net/exams/
      http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

After a few hours I was consistently getting more than 30 out of 35 questions right. I took the test the next morning and passed.

It will take some time working with other hams to actually figure out how the radios work.

So far I bought a Yaseu VX-170 handheld. It is 2m only. It is the radio recommended by the SBNFA. Eventually I want to get a good mobile unit in the Jeep. 50 watts dual band 2m/440 with a good antenna.
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Here's the radio I have in my Jeep:

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...xvrs/3780.html

I need a better antenna than the glass mount I have

I also use it as a scanner. I have quite a few public service frequencies plugged in like Calfire, USFS, SBCO fire, BLM, CHP Mobile hand held.

Also, since the JV tour has so many signed up, if there is another ham going, I'm going to ask them to be tail gunner for better communications.

Roger - n6ujm
        Last edited by Roger; 05-10-09, 06:39 AM.
        MJR moderator
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

HAM Test

In the san Diego area the is testing every Sat. some where in the area.
          George KF6PPR
          INFO www.sandarc.net/VE.html
          Last edited by TDS SD; 05-10-09, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
            The SBNFA offers a 2 day course. $25 and you get a study book.

I didn't want to give up 2 days so I just spent a few hours studying online. There is a pool of 300 possible questions.

http://radioteacher.googlepages.com/...anssubelements

There are multiple sites that have sample tests.

http://aa9pw.com/radio/
            http://www.eham.net/exams/
            http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

After a few hours I was consistently getting more than 30 out of 35 questions right. I took the test the next morning and passed.

It will take some time working with other hams to actually figure out how the radios work.

So far I bought a Yaseu VX-170 handheld. It is 2m only. It is the radio recommended by the SBNFA. Eventually I want to get a good mobile unit in the Jeep. 50 watts dual band 2m/440 with a good antenna.
            X2

I got my tech license same way...practiced online over and over. Actually had to read the book and learn for my general and extra (and learned morse code).

X2 on the VX-170. I bought mine when I was volunteering with LAFD ACS and it is a GREAT 2m handheld. Waterproof and solid.

I HIGHLY recommend you look for a local "field day" event at the last full weekend of June (don't have my calendar.) Ham operators go into the field (campgrounds, parks, parking lots, etc.) and "contest" to see how many contacts they can make in a 24 hour period using auxiliary power supply (you can also operate from home, but the spirit of the event, you need to get outdoors!) Last year, I carried my equipment and battery to the summit of White Mountain (14,242 feet) and operated from there. About 16 miles round trip. It kicked my ass. I was feeling so crappy, I made 2 contacts, broke everything down, and headed back. 9 hours for 2 contacts...but I'd do it again!

Comment

I always try to encourage new hams to buy a mobile radio first, handheld (if they feel they need it) second. Mobile radios are a lot less confusing to operate, and generally have more features (nice pick BTW Roger). Good radio, good antenna/coax (you're right Roger - lose the through glass antenna!).

Something I've been doing lately - I look at the software for programming - MUCH easier to program off a PC then playing "Game Boy" - especially with a handheld.

Currently I have a Kenwood TM-D700 in the YJ (will be set up for APRS once the GPS gets permanently connected), plus a VX-5R and the VX-170 (Steph's radio)
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY
              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Maybe all us MJR Hams should get together for field day! We could invite MJR members like Chris who want to learn about Amateur Radio.

Jeff - I am so glad I bought the programming software for my radio. It is just about impossible to program it directly.
                MJR moderator
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Yeah - it took me about 5 minutes to program Steph's VX-170, it would have taken me hours to do it by hand.

Last Field Day I ran I just pissed a lot of people off - I made the "emergency" real - everyone got (1) hours notice as to where we'd be. Field day has turned into "just another contest" all too frequently - don't see too much realism any more.
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                    Yeah - it took me about 5 minutes to program Steph's VX-170, it would have taken me hours to do it by hand.

Last Field Day I ran I just pissed a lot of people off - I made the "emergency" real - everyone got (1) hours notice as to where we'd be. Field day has turned into "just another contest" all too frequently - don't see too much realism any more.

Now see, that's how it ought to be done! Great idea.
                    MJR moderator
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

I've been to one field day, probably about 10-12 years ago. I use the Yaesu FT-8800 in my Jeep which I really like.

Roger, I use a Larson dual band antenna on my tire carrier and it works great. Theoretically it's too close to my cb antenna, but it seems to be just fine.
                      WILL WORK FOR JEEP PARTS!!!

Comment

some of you old school hams can issue the test for us wanna-be's cant you?
                        i could use a license as well.
                        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                          some of you old school hams can issue the test for us wanna-be's cant you?
                          i could use a license as well.

I could, I have my VE card (Volunteer Examiner.) You need 3 at a testing session. My club alternates from beach to mountains each year, and after field day on Sunday, we host a testing session.

Club link:
                          http://www.ircradio.org/

Comment

I let my VE (and my OO) status expire quite a while back. Be happy to help you with equipment or installation though Erik, I think if I pack a lunch I can make it all the way to your house without starvation
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                              I let my VE (and my OO) status expire quite a while back. Be happy to help you with equipment or installation though Erik, I think if I pack a lunch I can make it all the way to your house without starvation
                              why thank you, Sir.
                              i have a radio already though. i picked one up last year for the KOH race, and have just had it for emergency use.
                              i would like to get my license so i don't have to be afraid to talk on it on a regular basis.
                              this is the radio i have:

it seems to work very nicely for what i need it for.

from what i understand with the licensing, provided one person has their license, others can use the radio under the guise of their license at the same area, is this correct?
                              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X