Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blkTJ View Post
    nope, no roll eyes here.

the thing is... "MY" axles don't need to spin any more weight than they already do. don't need any more broken stuff.
    HAHA Good, i was just makin sure

Huh... Yeah never thought of it that way. The more unspring weight the harder it is on the axles when they spin. So i guess we'll leave the heavy wheels for comp buggies.
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Good forged aluminum wheels can be bent back.
      Good steel wheels adhere to the KISS principle, Keep It Simple, Stupid.

More than likely you were wheeling with the chrome and go crowd. Or the fake beadlock crowd. Or even the "I wheel my D35 hard crowd". Either way, all three groups are losers.....

Comment

I CAN say that with my heavier steelies over the old eagle 589's that i had that braking is much slower.

right now i run steelies. i used to run the eagle 589's as mentioned. i had a sidewall blowout with the alloys thanksgiving day of 2003 up in lytle creek up in the very very end of the wash about 1 mile in the rocks. i limped a mile in the creek bed w/nothing but rocks. when i was out my rim's lip was chewed to death but it worked fine. just looked like crap

last yr i was up in big bear and got a similar blow out in the rockgarden with my steelies. when i got through (same technique, nice and slow) my steelie's lip was trashed. the rim didnt hold air and after beating it with a hammer it just became weaker.

point, (not that the eagle was a strong alloy but) a higher end more expensive aluminum rim will outlast a steelie, but when it goes its done and it goes in a larger monitary fashion. at 40-50 bucks a pop, who cares if the steelie craps out every other trail run, its 50.00. last few medium hard trails ive done i chewed up my steelies and i didnt even know how.
        1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by Long&Low View Post

More than likely you were wheeling with the chrome and go crowd. Or the fake beadlock crowd. Or even the "I wheel my D35 hard crowd". Either way, all three groups are losers.....
          Well I got the D35, no fake or real bead locks and chrome around my head lights. 3 time loser?

Comment

i dont like the steel wheels
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
              SAWEEEEET!!! :thumbs_up :yay:
              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

HAAAA! That pic is a CLASSIC!
                -Bob
                '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

When I got my set of MT crawlers they were on a set of fake beadlocks. At first I figured I'd get rid of them, so I felt free to trash them on the trail.

Then I discovered that that fake beadlock rim actually works well. It just grinds right along on the rocks, like a skateboard rail.
                  Amusingly I saw an ad for them: "streetlocks" LMAO.

Let the posers that run chrome and whatnot on the trail do their own thing. I hate wheeling with people that are afraid to get scratches and minor dents in stuff. As long as you have a good time and can get home at the end of the day, who cares what it looks like?

Comment

Originally posted by Madbunny View Post
                    When I got my set of MT crawlers they were on a set of fake beadlocks. At first I figured I'd get rid of them, so I felt free to trash them on the trail.

Then I discovered that that fake beadlock rim actually works well. It just grinds right along on the rocks, like a skateboard rail.
                    Amusingly I saw an ad for them: "streetlocks" LMAO.

Let the posers that run chrome and whatnot on the trail do their own thing. I hate wheeling with people that are afraid to get scratches and minor dents in stuff. As long as you have a good time and can get home at the end of the day, who cares what it looks like?
                    I think the debate is over the comparable strengths of steel vs. aluminum. Each has it's own set of unique advantages and disadvantages, and really in the end it all comes down to the preference of the driver.

I have run both. I think steel gives me better flexibility. I have beat dents out of them on the trail. However, aluminum is certainly lighter and gives me much better throttle and brake response (not that it matters....Krawlers are heavy no matter what wheel I put them on).

But the example posted above by Nailer is the extreme case, not at all indicative of typical wheel damage. Conversely, I have seen only two aluminum wheels catastrophically fail in all the years I have been wheeling, and even though one of them broke badly, it still held air for the rest of the day.

So, the bottom line is, run what you like. They both have their place. In the end, though, you're going to pay a LOT more for those nice alloy wheels, and you'll still beat them up badly in the rocks if that's the type of wheeling that you enjoy.
                    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

I should have grabbed these amazing wheels when I had a chance. :bonk: :wink:

-Bob
                      '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Long&Low View Post

I have aluminum wheels, chrome, and shiny paint. Cruise control and A/C too. Care to join some of us "losers" in the rocks? Maybe you could back off the name calling. It's not necessary. Just wheel what ya got and be happy... 4 20

Kurt
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I would guess someone was driving around the hammers , with a flat per the plug in the tire.

Gotta like that bet he may have finished the trail to boot!
                          97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                          WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by Britain View Post
                            I would guess someone was driving around the hammers , with a flat per the plug in the tire.

Gotta like that bet he may have finished the trail to boot!
                            Vern, that is a valid guess, but it was nothing that exciting
                            it was actually at last chance canyon on the day of the funeral

here are some more of the broken/damaged parts from that fateful day

i also lost a knuckle, and a pitman arm. what a mess
                            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Well It was a 50/50 bet....you guys drop off your spares before hitting the trail...but I guess someone dragged your butt out eh? What a mess!

Vern, that is a valid guess, but it was nothing that exciting
                              it was actually at last chance canyon on the day of the funeral

here are some more of the broken/damaged parts from that fateful day

i also lost a knuckle, and a pitman arm. what a mess
                              97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                              WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by steelman View Post
                                I should have grabbed these amazing wheels when I had a chance. :bonk: :wink:

That's exactly the wheel I run, made by American Racing.

Yeah I go along with Nailer and the other anti-steel wheel types. I ran steel wheels for several years and all they did was bend/dent enough so they wouldn't reliably hold air. I had to carry a small sledgehammer with me to keep them somewhat round while on the rocks. Never had that problem with the cheap American Eagle wheels I ran before switching to steel wheels, nor with my present inexpensive American Racing aluminum wheels.
                                The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Working...
                                X