Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so, looks like half and half so far on opinions, just think though, down the road you can make a set of nice weld on beadlocks with those steelies at a cost savings.

Comment

hey, speaking of weld on beadlocks. Are they any good. how bad are your wheels out balance with them. who makes the best ones.
      '79 cj7, SOA. shackle reverse, custom cage, flow master, holly carb, 35" maxxis tires, custom bumpers and rockers, dana 44's locked, bead locks

Comment

This was a couple years ago on Sledge. it actually still held air.

the only time I ever trashed an alloy wheel was hauling A$$ through the desert and hitting a rock while aired down. It dented to the point that it would not hold air. I hammered it back a little just to limp around, but when I hammered it a little more back at camp it cracked. i run steel wheels now. I have one that is dented, but it works fine. I have been running them for a couple years and I haven't had to replace one yet. total cost for 4 wheels was $179 shipped
        It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Total cost for my steelies was $100 for all 5!
          |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
            Total cost for my steelies was $100 for all 5!
            Indeed. :thumbs_up And the funny thing is...

Those wheels were originally on Elusive's TJ. He sold them to me when he went to 5 on 5.5, and then I sold them to you when I did the same. Right after I put those wheels on my rig was when we did Sledge and he broke that aluminum wheel.

I currently run alloy wheels, and the ONLY reason is that I got them CHEAP. When (not if) I break one, I'll go back to steel.
            '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Nice! haha and i just took them home hit them with the wire wheel, pounded some of the bigger dents out and used a can of black epoxy paint and they were as good as new. Still runnin good and hard.
              |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I agree, i'm happy with my steel wheels after reading your posts. Benfits out way the cost.

Thanks!

Comment

all I have to say is bead locker's lol

Comment

Been running alloys for 3 years: Rubicon every year, Moab and a hell of alot of JV trails. I have 2 small chunks taken out of one wheel, other then that no problems. Possibly a difference in driving style. You couldn't give me steel wheels.
                    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I know some of the people talk about how heavy a steel wheel is, but isn't more unsprung weight good for flex and to keep your tires down on the ground? Just thought of it and was curious...

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

I know some of the people talk about how heavy a steel wheel is, but isn't more unsprung weight good for flex and to keep your tires down on the ground? Just thought of it and was curious...
                        sure, I know a guy that runs 250 lbs of steel shot in his front tires...
                        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Damn really? or is that just sarcasm?

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

No really. Granted its a competition buggy that weighs like 2200 pounds or something. Most of our jeeps are around 4500-5000 pounds and any savings in weight be beneficial.
                            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

A lot of the competition guys run water in the tires to keep the COG as low as possible. That's the purpose of putting weight in the tires.
                              '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

nope, no roll eyes here.

the thing is... "MY" axles don't need to spin any more weight than they already do. don't need any more broken stuff.
                                myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Working...
                                X