Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People Laughin @ my Steel Wheel

Question: I just bought a set of Rock Crawler Series 51 black steel wheels. WHen i went wheelig today, some people in my group were saying that steel wheels are a "joke." I know they're cheap, but that's why i bought them. But they were saying i should have gone with balck aluminum. Should i have?
    Last edited by rd3100; 04-15-07, 07:23 PM.

I run steel wheels as do all the guys that I run with. Aluminum looks better, is lighter, but I think that there less durable and they cost a ton more. Stick with the steel and laugh at the other guys when they rub their expensive wheels along the rocks
    '79 cj7, SOA. shackle reverse, custom cage, flow master, holly carb, 35" maxxis tires, custom bumpers and rockers, dana 44's locked, bead locks

Comment

Yeah, aluminum is nice and light, and it's strong, but with steel, you get something that is far more resistant to extremes, and wear. Why do you think they sky scrapers out it? Because the stuff is virtually indestructable...duh! Ever see aluminum rock crawler bumpers? Nope! it's all steel! And for a good reason too....personally, i go with a steel wheel. Their heavier, but less expensive than aluminum, and just as durable, if not more.
      WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
      [_____]
      (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
      []--o---[]

Comment

Duuuuuude,
        Don't freakin worry what others say. Run what ya brung. I had steel wheels, they are just fine. THe only "bad" thing about them is that they tend to roll the bead and bend on real rocky trails, but that's sometimes just the lines you pick. You can bend them back, starighten them out and keep running them.Aluminum cracks and breaks, then your done. Aluminum is good too. Just wheel the daylights out of them and see who's laughing then... :bonk:
        Kurt
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

If you hit an aluminum wheel to hard it will crack, thats a shot rim so you have to replace the whole thing. Do the same to a steel, and all you have to do is pound it with a hammer till its straight again. Good as new... Im pretty sure most people run steel wheels. Just tell them to shut it and dont worry about it, its your rig, do what you want with it...
          |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
            ... Just tell them to shut it and dont worry about it, its your rig, do what you want with it...
            I like that idea...I like it alot!
            WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
            [_____]
            (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
            []--o---[]

Comment

steel is the way to go, I have 4 bent aluminum wheels right now, try bending those back. I tried both and wish I stayed steel.

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                If you hit an aluminum wheel to hard it will crack, thats a shot rim so you have to replace the whole thing. Do the same to a steel, and all you have to do is pound it with a hammer till its straight again. Good as new... Im pretty sure most people run steel wheels. Just tell them to shut it and dont worry about it, its your rig, do what you want with it...
                It really depends on what you like to wheel in, but if it is rough, steel has some serious advantages. For one, steel bends but it doesn't crack pieces out like this:

This happened to a friend of mine on Holcomb Creek. but like Rat says: Run what you brung! See what works for you.
                [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by scherf68 View Post
                  steel is the way to go, I have 4 bent aluminum wheels right now, try bending those back. I tried both and wish I stayed steel.
                  BEFORE

[SIZED]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/UF92134/Damage/P1010573.jpg[/SIZED]

$100 LATER.... I had it repaired at TruWheel in North Hollywood

[SIZED]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/UF92134/Damage/P1010634.jpg[/SIZED]
                  If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                  KI6MLU

Comment

Thanks for the link but I would be worried that the next time it gets hit it will break instead of bend and 100 bucks will buy me two new steel wheels. I can bend the steel ones back with few strokes of a hammer at home.
                    My aluminum ones look just like that though, they wobble down the freeway and will not balance for naughta.

Comment

I'm stickin' with alloy. :yay:
                      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ View Post
                        I'm stickin' with alloy. :yay:
                        Don't all you big boys () run the alloys? Erik, Chris, Jeff, Blaine...?
                        -Bob
                        '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

I had aluminum, switched to steel for a few years, then went back to aluminum. My steel wheels were always getting bent up and dented so badly while rock crawling they could barely hold air. Aluminum wheels are much more durable and withstand the brutal stuff much more easily.
                          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by scherf68 View Post
                            I have only managed to bend/dent one aluminum wheel but I pounded it out with a small sledgehamer. I can't even count how many dented and bent steel wheels I had before I switched back to aluminum.
                            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by steelman View Post
                              Don't all you big boys () run the alloys? Erik, Chris, Jeff, Blaine...?
                              yes, yes, yes and yes... ! :yay:
                              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Working...
                              X