Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 04 TJ mpg probs

i got a 2004 TJ and put 33"s on it, and my gas mileage went down to 10mpg. i know why, but i want a solution. anyone???
    [COLOR=DarkGreen]Chris :beer:
    Poison Spyder Custom, it's a beast!![/COLOR]

thats pretty low...I get better mileage then that with my 2002TJ and 33's.

What gearing do you have, and is this around town mileage?

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Did you correct your speedo after putting on the tires?
      1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

speedo correction is the first place i would check my 04 tj 2.4 is getting right at 6 miles to the gallon if you use the odometer of course i am running 35's and 4.10s hopefully by march getting 4.88s
        im lovin it

2004 wrangler se
        4 inch rough country lift
        35x12.5LT16's
        super budget 3 inch body lift

Comment

ditto on the speedo.

When I put 33s on my 98 TJ I only noticed a drop of about 1 or 2 and thats with the crappy 3.07 gears and a lot of mountai driving.
          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

probs

i have the 4.0 i had 4:10s put in and my speedometer is now accurate. everything works fine, but i get 10mpg. around town, 55mph, 80mph, on the trail, everywhere. i added a k&n and a tornado. when i put my small tires on i get all my mileage back. but they're not practical in all this weather. jeep dealer says it's part of the onboard computer set to stock tire size that can't be overwritten. i even tried a hypertech, and i gave me a few hp, but no mileage. i returned it. thas all for now. later.

Comment

Did you physically replace the speedo gear?
              92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

When i had my gears done (by JcFaband design) they changed my speedo gear, I went from 3:07's to 4:10's, I had the 33's on when this was done and the speedo gear still needed to be replaced. My mileage improved by changing to the 4:10s and town/highway combo i get 14 and hwy i get 17-18 which is almost the same as i got when it was all stock. I have the 4.0 with the 5spd also.. That mileage is if i keep my foot out of it, but i do like the sound of the flowmaster so mileage tends to not be as good as above all the time
                04TJ, 4.0 5spd
                4" rough country springs
                Nth degree arms upper and lower
                1" Currie MML/BL
                Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
                33"BFG MT's
                Lock-rite in the front

Comment

Originally posted by Mellow Yellow
                  i have the 4.0 i had 4:10s put in and my speedometer is now accurate. everything works fine, but i get 10mpg. around town, 55mph, 80mph, on the trail, everywhere. i added a k&n and a tornado. when i put my small tires on i get all my mileage back. but they're not practical in all this weather. jeep dealer says it's part of the onboard computer set to stock tire size that can't be overwritten. i even tried a hypertech, and i gave me a few hp, but no mileage. i returned it. thas all for now. later.
                  Well that totally blows!!! I'm only getting about 15, but now I'm stoked with that!

Those tornado things are crap. get rid of it. the hypertech computers are crap. good to see you got rid of it as well.

The K&N filter might help, but not too much. Probably the best thing to get is a whole cat-back system, flowmaster, gibson, banks, or whoever else makes them... you might want to get headers as well. It seems that optimzing your backpressure it one of the best ways to improve your mpg.

good luck and let us know what you do.

FG

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

Originally posted by flywaterguide
                    Probably the best thing to get is a whole cat-back system, flowmaster, gibson, banks, or whoever else makes them... you might want to get headers as well. It seems that optimzing your backpressure it one of the best ways to improve your mpg.
                    I've got the Banks header and cat back. No mpg help there. sorry.
                    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

advice

thanks for all the opinions. lets' see. 4WP installed my new gears and truetrac, i dunno if they touched the speedometer. i do know its accurate from those solar powered speed signs on the side of the road. but regardless, i know what mpg i'm getting cuz i gotta fill the damn thing up everyother day. i'm lucky to pull 200 miles on a full tank. this might be a 2004 and newer problem. the dealer told me about the computer recognizing only stock tires, anything else confuses it. but there hassss to be a solution??? and i love my tornado, and k&n. i can feel them both in the gas pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellow Yellow
                        thanks for all the opinions. lets' see. 4WP installed my new gears and truetrac, i dunno if they touched the speedometer. i do know its accurate from those solar powered speed signs on the side of the road. but regardless, i know what mpg i'm getting cuz i gotta fill the damn thing up everyother day. i'm lucky to pull 200 miles on a full tank. this might be a 2004 and newer problem. the dealer told me about the computer recognizing only stock tires, anything else confuses it. but there hassss to be a solution??? and i love my tornado, and k&n. i can feel them both in the gas pedal.
                        Maybe a heavy foot??? :smile: I have a 04 also and if i take it easy on the foot i get well over 200 running back and forth to work and around town.. Its 12 miles to work freeway and town combo plus run around town.. Are you taking it all the way empty or to the light, with mine when the light comes on i have 5 gallons left..
                        04TJ, 4.0 5spd
                        4" rough country springs
                        Nth degree arms upper and lower
                        1" Currie MML/BL
                        Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
                        33"BFG MT's
                        Lock-rite in the front

Comment

make sure you replace the speedo gear, it cost around $20 from the dealer. Checking your speedometer against one of those street side radar displays is not the same thing.
                          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

You actually bought the hype on that Tornado and really installed one? I thought everyone knew that thing was a modern-day equivilient to snakeoil.
                            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
                              You actually bought the hype on that Tornado and really installed one? I thought everyone knew that thing was a modern-day equivilient to snakeoil.
                              They're not totally snakeoil... they are great at making the company that make/sells them a lot of munny!

What they do is they cause air being drawing into the intake system to swirl. This swirlly air is then fed into the cylinders and ... umm.. yeah....

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

Working...
                              X