Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nagal
    make sure you replace the speedo gear, it cost around $20 from the dealer. Checking your speedometer against one of those street side radar displays is not the same thing.

That's right. You have to replace the gear or your mileage will seem lower than it is.

http://raingler.com/jeepReference/speedoChart.html
    92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

Originally posted by flywaterguide
      They're not totally snakeoil... they are great at making the company that make/sells them a lot of munny!

What they do is they cause air being drawing into the intake system to swirl. This swirlly air is then fed into the cylinders and ... umm.. yeah....
      Yeah, and if you buy K&N's hype, they try to sell you on the idea of the mesh and gauze straightening out the airflow and removing the turbulence for increased velocity or some such nonsense.

If you bought every mileage magnet airflow straightening backpressure reducing computer enhanced horsepower whiz bang gee gaw swirling gadget on the market and bolted it into your rig according to their claims, at the end of the day you'd not only be able to outrun a top fuel dragster, but you'd have to tow a trailer with a 55 gallon drum on it to catch all the extra fuel your system is producing.
      I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine
        Yeah, and if you buy K&N's hype, they try to sell you on the idea of the mesh and gauze straightening out the airflow and removing the turbulence for increased velocity or some such nonsense.

If you bought every mileage magnet airflow straightening backpressure reducing computer enhanced horsepower whiz bang gee gaw swirling gadget on the market and bolted it into your rig according to their claims, at the end of the day you'd not only be able to outrun a top fuel dragster, but you'd have to tow a trailer with a 55 gallon drum on it to catch all the extra fuel your system is producing.
        Not only that, they dont filter worth a shit. I sold my airaid deal (thankfully it was on there when I bought the Jeep) and put a stock box and paper filter back in there.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine

LMAO... that's about the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I especially like the part about the extra 55 gallon drum, priceless. :yay:
          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Y'all need ta quit knockin my gear! *ha* I love my K&N (had 1 in every ride i've owned. From a show car to a drag truck to my 4x4s. I swear by them) And the tornado i'm proud of too. I can feel the power (i'm not crazy). I'll look into the speedometer gear from the dealer but i don't think anything besides a keychain cost $20 there! And i don't see what difference it'll make? I haven't run it all the way out, but within 20 miles of my gas light coming on i get gas, not trying to test that one.
            [COLOR=DarkGreen]Chris :beer:
            Poison Spyder Custom, it's a beast!![/COLOR]

Comment

Please tell me youre kidding about the Tornado. My Daddy, bless his heart, got me one for Christmas TWO years ago. He was here when I unwrapped it and HAD to put it in for me. I swear, not only did I NOT get better mileage, I got WORSE!

I still have it, I cant even give it away.

Tam
              2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
              Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Hey

What do you all mean "that speedo gear thing"? Since I regeared, resized, etc, my speedometer's about 20mph too high. (unless I really AM doing 70 down main st, which has been know to happen.) I was thinking of just having AAA recalibrate my speedometer. I'm ignorant on this, help me out.... :confused:

Jeri Lyn

I have 32" tires, 4:10 gears
                Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

Originally posted by Jeri Lyn
                  Hey

What do you all mean "that speedo gear thing"? Since I regeared, resized, etc, my speedometer's about 20mph too high. (unless I really AM doing 70 down main st, which has been know to happen.) I was thinking of just having AAA recalibrate my speedometer. I'm ignorant on this, help me out.... :confused:

Jeri Lyn

If your speedometer is off, so is your odometer. Therefore, your odometer may say you have only gone 200 miles on the tank of gas when you have really gone 260, as an example. Correcting the speedo gear will fix this and make the odometer accurate giving you an accurate number for your mpg.

The way to fix this problem is the replace the speedometer gear.

http://www.jeepin.com/features/speedogear/index.asp
                  Last edited by paultyler; 01-26-05, 11:57 PM.
                  92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

Originally posted by paultyler
                    If your speedometer is off, so is your odometer. Therefore, your odometer may say you have only gone 200 miles on the tank of gas when you have really gone 260, as an example. Correcting the speedo gear will fix this and make the odometer accurate giving you an accurate number for your mpg.

The way to fix this problem is the replace the speedometer gear.

http://www.jeepin.com/features/speedogear/index.asp
                    Im not sure on the 02, but on the o4 the only way the speedo can be calibrated is with the gear, the dealership had tried to change mine on my first change of tires but the puter wouldnt allow it, My speedo gear was changed when JC fab did my lift (I didnt even think of it but they are on the ball and did it) and now it is where its supposed to be..
                    04TJ, 4.0 5spd
                    4" rough country springs
                    Nth degree arms upper and lower
                    1" Currie MML/BL
                    Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
                    33"BFG MT's
                    Lock-rite in the front

Comment

Originally posted by Jeri Lyn
                      Hey

Jeri Lyn

Just call the dealership, they have them there for around $10 I THINK, unless you can find a used one. They'll ask your tires and gearing, and tell you which you need.
                      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Jeri Lyn

Comment

FYI, I paid around $20-$30 for mine from the dealership.
                          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Actually, you need to call a dealer that knows his rear from a hole in the wall... Some places will give you the "duh, it says yer jeep posed ta have a 32 toof gear and that's the only one I show in this here puter..." I am speaking specifically of a particular nameless high desert Jeep dealer... At any rate, there are also many online dealers that have the complete parts line available online. I suggest calling one of them or a dealer you trust and explain what you're trying to do. If they don't know what you are talking about right away, ask to speak to someone else, or call another place.
                            1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                            My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Maybe this will help

http://www.4x4xplor.com/speedo.html
                              [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
                              In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Hey Dan

That link rocks! A one tool mod (ok, ok, two if you count the rag) is something I can probably handle. If I'd a known it was that simple, I would have done it a long time ago. Instead, I have now racked up many "phantom" miles. Oh well.

Jeri Lyn

Comment

Working...
                                X