Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any updates??
    LG
    Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
      Any updates??
      LG
      Nothing new yet. I looked at the ASD relay the other day, but I haven't gone any further. Tomorrow I am going to test the CPS voltage and resistance. Will post results
      Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Fingers are crossed, and hope you find it..........
        LG

Comment

Fingers are crossed, and hope you find it..........
          LG
          I checked the ohms on the cps and got nothing across any combination of 2 leads on the 3 pin connector. Tried starting it with volt meter hooked up to any 2 pins of the 3 lead connector and didnt see any voltage ac or dc. Going to Napa to get new one and try that. If it starts.....Auto zone is going to get an ear full.
          Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Take your volt/OHM meter with you to NAPA, and the Auto Zone CPS.
            NAPA just might be able to test it also......
            LG

Comment

Going with the assumption that the cps is a hall effect sensor, you need to get 5 volts to it with the key on on one wire, another should have close to zero ohms to ground and the last wire should have fairly high resistance, but should not show infinite resistance this is the wire that gives sensor info to the ecm.
              The way the whole gig goes is like this key on gives power to ecm which sends a 5 volt signal to cps, when you crank it, it gives a signal voltage to the ecm, which now turns on the asd relay as well as the fuelpump relay.
              This also gives power to the ignition module in the ecm, this sequences the firing order and injectors. No 5 volts at cps , the dummy stays dumb and does not want to wake up. Ohm meter is probably not a good way to test a cps. take it of the engine, plug it in and slide a piece of steel near it, this should trigger it and give you 5 volts on the sensor return wire.
              Does this make sense to you?

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                Going with the assumption that the cps is a hall effect sensor, you need to get 5 volts to it with the key on on one wire, another should have close to zero ohms to ground and the last wire should have fairly high resistance, but should not show infinite resistance this is the wire that gives sensor info to the ecm.
                The way the whole gig goes is like this key on gives power to ecm which sends a 5 volt signal to cps, when you crank it, it gives a signal voltage to the ecm, which now turns on the asd relay as well as the fuelpump relay.
                This also gives power to the ignition module in the ecm, this sequences the firing order and injectors. No 5 volts at cps , the dummy stays dumb and does not want to wake up. Ohm meter is probably not a good way to test a cps. take it of the engine, plug it in and slide a piece of steel near it, this should trigger it and give you 5 volts on the sensor return wire.
                Does this make sense to you?
                I guess it all makes sense. I should be able to see 5 volts at the connector from the computer with the key on. While its cranking over, I should see.the same 5 volts on one of the other 2 leads coming from the cps . Is the other wire in that connector a grounded wire?

Comment

Originally posted by kirkandsylvia View Post
                  I guess it all makes sense. I should be able to see 5 volts at the connector from the computer with the key on. While its cranking over, I should see.the same 5 volts on one of the other 2 leads coming from the cps . Is the other wire in that connector a grounded wire?
                  Yes hence the near zero ohms to ground

Comment

Ok.....I didnt test the cps right earlier. I think the mud is starting to clear. Well, as soon as these lovely high desert winds give me.a break I will go try this testing thing again. Glad I didnt go waste more money on another cps.

Comment

So...the winds relaxed enough this morning and I managed to test the cps. I see the 5 volts on one pin going to the cps, and when I crank it over, I see the 5 volts from the cps pulsing. The the third pin shows a good ground at the connector. Still no start. I'm at a loss. Back to square one.

Comment

Do you have power to the 'dizzy'?
                        LG

Comment

Do you have power to the 'dizzy'?
                          LG
                          Power to the "dizzy".....are you refering to my mind.....if so.....not sure yet. If youre refering to the distributor, I have 12 volts on the positive side. The negative side gets pulsed from computer which I haven't tested
                          Last edited by kirkandsylvia; 04-16-13, 03:40 PM.

Comment

The distributor module below the rotor initiates injector pulse and acts as a camshaft position sensor (this was later eliminated with the individual coil packs). I just remembered two weird problems I've encountered. Once I had a coil fail overnight. The car ran. It was shut off. It was dead. Took a few days to figure that one out. I've also replaced a coil with a brand-new dead coil. Just a thought.
                            God forgives, rocks don't
                            -sons of thunder

Comment

Yeah, I lost the same in my CJ.
                              Power going into the 'dizzy' and nut'n came out.
                              NAPA had one in stock.
                              LG

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                                The distributor module below the rotor initiates injector pulse and acts as a camshaft position sensor (this was later eliminated with the individual coil packs). I just remembered two weird problems I've encountered. Once I had a coil fail overnight. The car ran. It was shut off. It was dead. Took a few days to figure that one out. I've also replaced a coil with a brand-new dead coil. Just a thought.
                                I replaced the distributor module in the distributor with again a Auto Zone part. It could be that....and I replaced the coil with yet another Auto Zone special. I'm testing for spark later today when I can get a second person to help

Comment

Working...
                                X