Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Toolman View Post
    This is where I will get my kick in on the already beaten horse.

Please tell me. That you are welding in the top plate and drilling more holes.:bonk:

I think you mean the bottom plate? Sorry, most of the pics are upside down . Yep that bottom cover (or whatever) has two 1-1/2" holes cut in either side for nut access. There are stiffening rings (1/4" long, 1.75", .120" DOM) welded around the holes. More about that later.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

• It is gonna ba a shame to paint it tho, it does look sweet. I had built some stuff for work and we have a powdercoat shop so I went that route and learned the hard way that the powdercoat don't get inside of anything... and now I've got rust problems - as dry as it is up here, it's not dry 'nuff!
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

• Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
        It is gonna ba a shame to paint it tho, it does look sweet. I had built some stuff for work and we have a powdercoat shop so I went that route and learned the hard way that the powdercoat don't get inside of anything... and now I've got rust problems - as dry as it is up here, it's not dry 'nuff!
        Thanks I do like the blued, natural steel look. In fact, some of the indigos that can be gotten with TIG are spectacular. If I could just repeat them at will! From the rust perspective I'd rather have something either open and accessible (to painting/ maintenance) or sealed. As I have some other parts on my Jeep, I've treated the underside with Rustoleum "Cold Galvanizing Compound." Of course, it will need more anti-rust love once the cover is welded on. That probably won't be until Sunday. With any luck the rocks will be much meaner to the underside of the Jeep than rust will. I do like things to be pretty before I beat them up, though.

Bummer about your powdercoated stuff. I woulda thunk it would stick to wherever it was blown or whatever. I've never seriously considered powdercoating any of my stuff, but hmm...
        holes = cowbell

Comment

• The question came to mind tonight; which quantity is greater, holes you have put your Jeep in or holes you have put in your Jeep?:dunno:
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

• Seems he loves Swiss cheese and holes in his Jeep

Comment

• That's a tough one, Ted.

Yep, love them holes, but I don't think there will be any more in the crossmember except for fasteners. It's gonna tie into the skids, etc. I've done some welding yesterday and again today, so the bottom cover is now one with the rest of it. Wind is not making things easy, however. Last TIG gas lens cup self-destructed on me. Gotta switch to the regular torch setup, and that doesn't work as well in the breeze. Expect I will post up some pics in the next few days, though.
              holes = cowbell

Comment

• Haven't done a lot on the Jeep, but finally got the bottom cover of the front crossmember taken care of.

It fit pretty good by this point.

1-1/2" holes for nut access; clearanced the front corners for drainage. Reinforcing rings welded onto the inside. Oops :homer:

Fixed with the help of my friend :fire: (it was cool out). Bent the cover the opposite direction. Rings on the inside.

Was windy and from the wrong directions. Didn't help that I couldn't use a gas lens. Extra PITA factor, but got 'er welded up.

Welded the insides of the rings.
                holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                X