Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RAT View Post
    If you haven't figured this out already, grind flats 180 Degrees out on the ends of the control arms. That gives you two flats for a crescent wrench to adjust your CA length.
    Thanks, Kurt. That's actually what I had originally intended to do when I ordered the adapters. By the time I welded them on I realized I would have to grind well into the weld area to make room for a large wrench (this is the case with the lowers, not so much the uppers). Considering how they're welded, this probably would not make a difference, but I found myself reluctant to do it.

I'm probably being more obsessive than practical, and I should probably just follow your advice. However, I did come up with a reasonably simple solution that involves welding two 1/2" diameter by 1/2" long dowel stubs onto the links adjacent to the welds at 180* opposite to each other. The most involved part of this would be making the wrench. If I find myself needing to adjust them before I get around to doing this, I will almost certainly do what you've suggested.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

• You just love hard solutions, seems to me that if grinding the links on rocks doesn't perturb you then using a pipe wrench to turn them shouldn't hurt them unduly either. That's my story, works for me, underside of my Jeep looks like a war zone, one more mark on it doesn't make much difference. Truthfully once you find the sweet spot, which is likely 10 years down the road, ya gonna quit messing with it lol

Comment

• You only grind a very little amount off the arm. As Art says you'll drag those things across all kinds of rocks so what the Hell. So either grind some 1 inch wide x 1/8 inch deep notches or use a pipe wrench. Then go drag some rocks
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• 10 year plan remember

Comment

• Grinding links on rocks!? Good heavens, maybe that's what I need to do!

Funny you should say that, actually. I came to a sort of realization the other day. Seems like all the ideas that really inspire me are difficult. I'm not just talking about Jeeps, either. Heck, working on the Jeep takes my mind off of the really hard stuff. If you only knew. At least on my tombstone it won't read "Easy Road Dave."
            holes = cowbell

Comment

• Originally posted by RAT View Post
              You only grind a very little amount off the arm. As Art says you'll drag those things across all kinds of rocks so what the Hell. So either grind some 1 inch wide x 1/8 inch deep notches or use a pipe wrench. Then go drag some rocks
              Yeah, you guys make sense.

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
              10 year plan remember
              Thanks for setting an achievable time table. I hate unrealistic deadlines.
              holes = cowbell

Comment

• I figured you could work with that

Comment

• Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                  Grinding links on rocks!? Good heavens, maybe that's what I need to do!

Funny you should say that, actually. I came to a sort of realization the other day. Seems like all the ideas that really inspire me are difficult. I'm not just talking about Jeeps, either. Heck, working on the Jeep takes my mind off of the really hard stuff. If you only knew. At least on my tombstone it won't read "Easy Road Dave."
                  Gonna say, did it my way and tried to get it done in 10 years

Comment

• Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                    Gonna say, did it my way and tried to get it done in 10 years
                    Maybe, but at this rate I won't be able to afford a stone that big.
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

• Hillbillies would use a big ole chunk a steel plate or a old man hole cover and torch out the message, gotta do it right Davey from the desert

Comment

• Manhole cover? Where would a hillbilly get one of those? Might be able to swing chunk of steel plate though. Guess the sooner I get started torching the better. I don't expect my Chinese plasma cutter to outlive me.
                        holes = cowbell

Comment

• Are you planning on re-enforcing that lower control arm cross member? There is a tremendous amount of stress on those when climbing. That will snap. I found out the hard way.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	hpn2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	358305
                          Check out .

Comment

• [QUOTE=inVERt'D;227680]

[QUOTE/]

I agree with Chuck. There are WAY too many holes in the cross member.
                            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• I told him that about 5 pages ago when we started discussing swiss cheese

Comment

• 1/4" thick and it snapped with no holes. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_zps2d58d2ba.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	358306
                                Check out .

Comment

Working...
                                X