Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went junk yarding today, found two voltage limiters for the instrrument cluster and the wiring pig tails. Also found the elusive transmission computer and all the needed pig tails. Gonna be in wiring heaven for awhile. Then visited the steelyard bought a stick of one and half inch square tubing to built a frame forthe belly and an oilpan and trans skid. Made a few mounts for the cluster tonight, so that has a home too. Would love to drag this thing to AZ this coming November, so gots to get er done

Comment

• First voltage limiter didn't work, second one succes, Scrappy got working gauges and idiot lights. Another item of the list.
      Fixing the transmission controller is going to be more fun. Biggest question so far is how bad it needs the speed sensor?
      If truly needed, I'll have to either run a speedo cable to the cluster, or strip a speed sensor out of a junk yard cluster, make a short cable and drive it of the transmission. Oh well one worry at the time. After this wiring bit I want to go do some welding so belly skid plate is next.
      By the way in the last action shot the one tire is at least five and a half feet of the ground

Comment

• were you on the bump stop up front in that photo?
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
        www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

• Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
          were you on the bump stop up front in that photo?
          Yup, front squated some though.. Funny thing is that it didn,t teeter, I kknow my Jeep does when it's past it''s travel limit

Comment

• heh, mine teeters when I start lifting a tire! can't wait to see that beast in action
            [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

• Can we offroad it Dude? You mean, like this? .... Looks like a Fit to me Art. Did you get my PM about the aluminum?
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• Well it's almost there. Needs the belly done and some other lil thangs. Would love to wheel this in AZ in November. Got a week off in October too try and get ole Scrappy close to finished and wheelable. Atleast now it has a working temp gauge so i can see if the cooling system works as well as intended. Kinda have to prioritize from here on out to get some shakedown runs under it's belt.Thanks again for checking on aluminum prices for me Kurt. 1/4" should be plenty thick. Trying to keep this ole doggy somewhat light

Comment

• Originally posted by RAT View Post
                  Can we offroad it Dude? You mean, like this? .... Looks like a Fit to me Art. Did you get my PM about the aluminum?
                  By the way what ya wanna wheel. Wheeled the Jeep already lol gots tire marks all the way to the top of the cage. Was a pain getting the tire to roll up it.

Comment

• Frame for the belly is going to be made out of 1.5" square tubing 0.090 wall. Going to be a multiple angled affair, wish me luck lol
                    The aluminum is gonna be a tad pricey. First quote was 240 bucks for a 4' x 4' x 1/4". Will see if I can do a bit better on the price though.
                    Had a decent start on it today.

Comment

• Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                      Frame for the belly is going to be made out of 1.5" square tubing 0.090 wall. Going to be a multiple angled affair, wish me luck lol
                      The aluminum is gonna be a tad pricey. First quote was 240 bucks for a 4' x 4' x 1/4". Will see if I can do a bit better on the price though.
                      Had a decent start on it today.
                      Art I have a sheet of corrugated 1/4 inch, 48 x 40 aluminum here at the house. Red Lobster price. Give me a call, Kevin.

Comment

• Might find a use for that Kevin, however for the belly I need a sheet of 6160T6, need the hard stuff, so it can withstand my kinda loving

Comment

• Think 1/4" will be enough? I'd definitely weld some aluminum angle on the front and rear ends of it if you can, facing downward to stiffen it. I've got 1/4" aluminum under the transfer case of my TJ, and it's starting to bend slightly already. I wish I would have gotten the 3/8" plate. Next time I have the skid off, I'm going to put some angle aluminum on the ends. My gas tank skid is 1/4" also, and it's got a dimple or two in it. I drive by braille though.
                          Last edited by daniel_buck; 09-25-14, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                            Think 1/4" will be enough? I'd definitely weld some aluminum angle on the front and rear ends of it if you can, facing downward to stiffen it. I've got 1/4" aluminum under the transfer case of my TJ, and it's starting to bend slightly already. I wish I would have gotten the 3/8" plate. Next time I have the skid off, I'm going to put some angle aluminum on the ends. My gas tank skid is 1/4" also, and it's got a dimple or two in it. I drive by braille though.
                            No worries Daniel I got it covered. I've done a bit of Jeep building before. 1/4" aluminum UFC skid is flimsy, You read the part about the frame made out 1.5" square tubing? 1/4" plate backed with a good frame/ bracing is what makes it strong

Comment

No worries Daniel I got it covered. I've done a bit of Jeep building before. 1/4" aluminum UFC skid is flimsy, You read the part about the frame made out 1.5" square tubing? 1/4" plate backed with a good frame/ bracing is what makes it strong
                              I built a frame for my center skid, then used the aluminum that I have. Make it easier to lift. Unbolt aluminum, than I can get to the tranny.

Comment

sweet

Comment

Working...
                                X