Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtis View Post
    It seems that with the trans in 1st gear. I cann't lock the TC in. But if I put it in 2nd I can lock the TC. But I need to take it out this week and find out.
    Some transmission valve bodies will not allow lockup in 1 st gear might want to check on that before you scatter the whole shebang

Comment

Arts right I know for a fact 700r4 or 4l60e trans wont lock the converter in 1st. Really shouldnt be must slip in 1st and might be hard to tell.

Comment

Final thoughts on swap.
        1. AW4 cost (going rate about 350.00) Got mine for 350.00 with transfercase.
        2. Other XJ parts for swap (flex plate,bolts,cables,shifter,and dust cover. 45.00
        3. Trans cooler 200.00
        4. Hose and fittings for cooler. 85.00
        5.exhust parts 12.00
        6.Rail shifter 100.00
        7.miscellaneous parts (switch ,wire, and connectors) 25.00

Total parts $817.00

You should be able to sell NV3500 5 speed for 700.00 to 750.00.

So cost of swap should be about $100.00 And you could use a cheaper cooler to save money.

I shift my trans by putting stock shifter in D and shifting the rail shifter from 1st to 4th. You can leave the TC locked all the time and just shift into first at a stop and the TC kicks out. Or you can Lock and unlock the TC from 2nd to 4th as wanted.

You can wire a TCU in(cost 30.00) that makes it shift like a stock trans. But I like the way mine is better because it's like having a manual 5 speed without the clutch.

This is a great swap and I would highly recommend it to every one.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Very nice to hear you like it I will be doing mine soon.
          04 Rubi
          00 XJ

Comment

Check out (Stu's Offroad) site for all the info on the AW4 swap.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Here's something for you AW4 swappers:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/3140078182.html

( not mine, just saw the ad )

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
                It seems that with the trans in 1st gear. I cann't lock the TC in. But if I put it in 2nd I can lock the TC. But I need to take it out this week and find out.
                What did you determine regarding if the TC will lock in 1st gear ?

I just did a switch selectable set up in my XJ, I used a 6 position rotary switch with the following configuration:

Pos. 1 = 1st gear
                Pos. 2 = 2nd
                Pos. 3 = 3rd
                Pos. 4 = 3rd w/ tc lock
                Pos. 5 = 4th
                Pos. 6 = 4th w/ tc lock

I put the switch in the console just below the t-case selector which is a good place for me to rest my hand, works great except it sets the 7xx codes when switched out of TCU control.

I may add a switch for tc lock in 1st & 2nd

I used a hidden toggle switch to select between TCU or manual control.

Comment

I liked the rotary switch idea. Even if you have the TC locked and shift from 2nd to 1st the TC kicks out. I'm going to leave mine manual for now and maybe someday put the TCU in.

Comment

Hey Curtis do you notice alot better crawl ratio with the converter and your 4:1? Or the increase in torque multiplication with the converter. ? Put a guage in it yet? how were the temps going to the couger buttes run? Enquiring minds want to know lol.

Comment

Beau it climbs alot better than before. So I would say the combo is great so far. When going up Hwy 38 the cooler fan would come going up hill but would go off on the flat parts. When out at cougar the fan would cycle on a off ( off more than on ). Thinking of putting a small plate cooler in front of the radiator because I do push it going up the 38. So far no gauge yet

Comment

Curtis, I run a inexpensive cooler in the front of the cruiser, then rubber hoses going into copper lines to the rear cooler with a fan. Never had the temp go over 180. By the time the fluid travel around to the front then thru the lines in the back it gets plenty of chances to cool off. Even doing the hammers I rarely would turn on the fan. And I think I'm pushing a little more horsepower then you. Your going to love that slushbox, Kevin.

Comment

Yeah it's like having a new jeep. You can't beat the Auto in the rocks.

Comment

He Curtis do you have any manufacturers info on the rail shifter you use?
                            I have one of those little darlings for my little put put buggy, but not a clue yet as how to wire the thing.

Comment

Go to his web site http://radesignsproducts.com/

Comment

Thanks Curtis that's exactly what I was looking for, looks way easy peasy to get wired.

Comment

Working...
                                X