Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK guys the trans works great. But how far can I push it. Can I ingage the TC in 1st gear and make it live?
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
      OK guys the trans works great. But how far can I push it. Can I ingage the TC in 1st gear and make it live?
      You can try, the question is do you want to? The whole idea about the auto trans is to have the torque converter aid in your crawling. With the TC engaged, it's basically a manual trans. Cannot see why you would do harm by engaging it, would allow it to stall though.

Comment

As long as your easy on the skinny pedal I dont see a problem. But make sure you have it hooked up to the brake switch so when you apply the brakes it unlocks. Otherwise it will stall the engine when you brake. Why do want to lock it up in 1st gear anyway? More engine braking going down steep grades? Hows the tran temps ? Notice any power loss except for the throttle response? Hows the crawl speed ? Do you have any brake issues stopping in 4wd low? As far as throttle response you must realize the first gear in you manual is quite a bit lower than in the auto but the converter should make up for that. Sorry for so many question but you know why I am asking lol. I need to get my butt in gear and install mine. OH yea I wouldn't give heavy throttle with the TC locked in any gear especially in OD. I talked to TCS (The Converter Shop)in chino about buildin a coverter with a better clutch and he said the problem is there not enough room for a bigger better clutch. So part throttle cruising only with it locked up is recomended.
        Last edited by Jeeperator; 07-22-12, 10:12 AM. Reason: add some

Comment

Beau I didn't put a temp gauge in it. I use a light to tell me when the cooler fan is on. It comes on at 175* and off at 165*. Driving it around town and on the freeway it never came on. I drove it with the TC off for about 3 miles and the light came on. After turning on the TC the light went out in about 2 minutes. The brakes seem to work good but I haven't been on anything steep with the jeeps weight pushing me yet.

So with the Baja Shifter It's just like driving a stick but you don't need a clutch. Can't wait to see what it's like to drift the corners coming down the 38. LOL
          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Well Curtis a Motino wash night run is just what the doctor ordered, so lets go, just say when.

Comment

I have a manual valve body in the auto in my FToy, but I do not have a lock-up TC. For pretty much everything I do....and I do stupid a lot...the only thing I would think a lock-up would be useful for would be going down some trails to give you more compression braking. Good brakes will also help. I don't have good brakes! I think the real advantage of a lock-up TC is on the highway to reduce friction and get better gas mileage.
              Rich

Comment

Yea the big advantage is the compression braking. But it seems like you can split the gears with it and even out on the trail it will keep the trans cooler.

Comment

Anything I need to know about buying a cat for my jeep for my flat skid? And are you guys using 3/8 aluminum and what type?
                  6061-T6?
                  Last edited by curtis; 07-23-12, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Anything I need to know about buying a cat for my jeep for my flat skid? And are you guys using 3/8 aluminum and what type?
                    6061-T6?
                    You pretty much answered your own question Curtis as far as the skid goes. You cannot move the cat around a bit to get the needed clearance? Just don't loose the heat shielding, that stuff works pretty well

Comment

My cat is huge, over 5" tall.

Just wanted to make sure I was using the right stuff for the skid.

Comment

On my CJ7 I used 7075. Mount it with the grain going front to back. It will not bend.
                        Rich

Comment

Thanks, I will check it out.

Comment

Looking real good curtis. When you are satisfied and are finished with most of your tinkering i would enjoy seeing some sort of "build cost sheet". This way I can compare what you did vs. what I did. Pro's vs con's... and all that jazz...

Looking forward to wheeling with you soon!

B

Comment

Yea the big advantage is the compression braking. But it seems like you can split the gears with it and even out on the trail it will keep the trans cooler.
                              Yea thats what that controller would do that guy from europe was going to make me. Essentially toggle shifting with a button and turn the auto into a 6 speed. Not sure if there would be a benifit in 1st gear locked have you gone down a steep incline with it in 4wd low in first? Does it hold you back?

Comment

It seems that with the trans in 1st gear. I cann't lock the TC in. But if I put it in 2nd I can lock the TC. But I need to take it out this week and find out.

Comment

Working...
                                X