Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AW4 swap

I took out the transfer case, NV3500 trans, DS and Exhaust today to install AW4 trans. Question- the input shaft on my 4:1 transfer case is longer than the input shaft on the stock XJ NP231. Do you think I can switch them? Or should I just cut the the one on the 4:1 off?
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

I would see if they will mate first, if not just cut some of the input shaft

Comment

It's 1/2" longer, so it won't fit. I will pull both of them apart tomorrow (it's only 4 bolts). I think the gear on the end is the same for both. So it should work to swap them.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

What bushings are you guys using for your rear trans mount for a flat skid plate? Art I'm just going to cut 3/8" off the input splines. That seems to be the easy way.

Comment

Sounds like a plan Curtis, git er done. Night wheelin to be done,ya gonna be finessing from now on?

Here is a link to bushings you are looking for

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...t_Code=BUSHDOM

I got similar ones from C and J here in Ontario, darn things aren't cheap. By the way those bushings do not like exhaust heat one bit. I am still very happy with my body mount trans mount setup.

Comment

Got the trans and transfer in today and build a rear motor mount and cut the input shaft.

Just need to send my front DS to tom woods to have it lengthen, hook up a couple wires and cables and should be good to go.

Comment

What do you think about cutting the splines on my rear DS.

What it looks like in jeep.

The mark closes to the end of the splines is where the collar on the rear did ride before.
              The mark at the joint end is where it rides now. So I'm thinking of cutting 1" off splines

What about using these ends off my old RE CA's for the rear motor mount?

Also got the cooler in today
              Last edited by curtis; 06-26-12, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I see nothing wrong with lobbing a bit of the splines of the driveshaft as long as it maintains good engagement it's all good.
                If those rubber bushings are good try it, you can always find some big spring bushing out of a medium duty truck if this doesn't hold up

Comment

Move the axle back.The change over is looking good.I cut my front driveline and added a piece. I also run warn hubs it helps
                  Last edited by flatout; 06-27-12, 07:37 AM.
                  You can make it

Comment

Originally posted by flatout View Post
                    Move the axle back.The change over is looking good.I cut my front driveline and added a piece Also run warern hubs it helps
                    Is there still a source for warn outters?
                    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Supposedly Randy's ring and pinion

Comment

I'm loving this! Doing a swap to an auto has been on my 'wonder if it will work' list for a while. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Nice stuff Curtis!
                        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

Left leg getting worn out Curtis?
                          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by flatout View Post
                            Move the axle back.The change over is looking good.I cut my front driveline and added a piece Also run warern hubs it helps
                            If I had front hubs I might have tried doing the front driveline. But it's already on it's way to Tom Woods. I've had a fuel cell and blank corners in my shed for about a year, so that's my next project.

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
                              Left leg getting worn out Curtis?
                              Yea the knees are shot. LOL 48 years of driving a stick.
                              Last edited by curtis; 06-27-12, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X