Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run a b&m super cooler in the front of my radiator. If you're going to use the aw4 get the earls fittings from summit racing and do away with the factory disconnects. They are prone to leaking and in a xj they are right above the exhaust which is a bad idea. I bypassed the radiator loop and ran my lines directly to the cooler. In so cal you don't really need the radiator loop. The only thing that will kill an aw4 is heat and they do run hot. All the radiator loop is doing is exchanging heat between the trans and the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
      I run a b&m super cooler in the front of my radiator. If you're going to use the aw4 get the earls fittings from summit racing and do away with the factory disconnects. They are prone to leaking and in a xj they are right above the exhaust which is a bad idea. I bypassed the radiator loop and ran my lines directly to the cooler. In so cal you don't really need the radiator loop. The only thing that will kill an aw4 is heat and they do run hot. All the radiator loop is doing is exchanging heat between the trans and the engine.
      What size cooler and hows it working for you? What are your temps? Allready got the fittings I didn't like the factory cooler line setup either.
      Last edited by Jeeperator; 05-17-12, 09:10 AM.

Comment

after reading this thread I am very happy i have a manual Ax15

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
          after reading this thread I am very happy i have a manual Ax15
          Nothing wrong with a ax15 especially with your stacked tc cases and the plethora of gear selections you have. Alot of people swear by an auto when they are doing the harder trails. Not only does the torque converter double your crawl ratio but not messing with a clutch is a win win in my case. Dont forget the auto should be easier on the drive train also because its always slightly loaded and no on/off shock when you push in and let off the clutch. An ax15, 241 tc, w/4.56 gears is about 70:1 ratio in first gear. A aw4,241tc,w/4.56 is ~50:1x2 = ~100:1 which is said to be ideal for extreme crawling. Any higher your brakes probably have a hard time holding you back. Aw4's do run hot but it can be remedied with an oversized good stacked plate design cooler. They are reported to be able to go 250,000 miles without problems and are good for 350 hp stock and able to withstand up to 650 hp built up with highline pressures and better clutch packs which rivals a built 700r4 performance. Some will say "auto is no fun" well I figured out an easy way to wire the trans to be semiauto with no tcu just using the factory stock shifter. I will still be manually shifting it up and down with the factory modded shifter 1st to 3rd and have push buttons switches for OD and torque converter lock up. I doubt I'll get board.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
            Nothing wrong with a ax15 especially with your stacked tc cases and the plethora of gear selections you have. Alot of people swear by an auto when they are doing the harder trails. Not only does the torque converter double your crawl ratio but not messing with a clutch is a win win in my case. Dont forget the auto should be easier on the drive train also because its always slightly loaded and no on/off shock when you push in and let off the clutch. An ax15, 241 tc, w/4.56 gears is about 70:1 ratio in first gear. A aw4,241tc,w/4.56 is ~50:1x2 = ~100:1 which is said to be ideal for extreme crawling. Any higher your brakes probably have a hard time holding you back. Aw4's do run hot but it can be remedied with an oversized good stacked plate design cooler. They are reported to be able to go 250,000 miles without problems and are good for 350 hp stock and able to withstand up to 650 hp built up with highline pressures and better clutch packs which rivals a built 700r4 performance. Some will say "auto is no fun" well I figured out an easy way to wire the trans to be semiauto with no tcu just using the factory stock shifter. I will still be manually shifting it up and down with the factory modded shifter 1st to 3rd and have push buttons switches for OD and torque converter lock up. I doubt I'll get board.
            Is it done yet? We got some trail running to do next Saturday

Comment

I think Curtis should just add some more lights and keep his manual... I am out of town this weekend... but up for next!

Comment

With an auto you can keep the front tires off the ground longer with more control going up water falls.LOL
                IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                  With an auto you can keep the front tires off the ground longer with more control going up water falls.LOL
                  I think you pretty much have that down pat as it is Curtis

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                    Is it done yet? We got some trail running to do next Saturday
                    No maybe next week, still gathering some parts and preparing trans for install. I drilled the tail housing on Fred mill (Thanks again Fred)and it fits perfect (Thanks again kurt for use of the clocking ring). Need to pull the pan today clean it up and change filter, install rear tailhousing and install front and rear seals. Not sure if I am welding a bung in the pan or putting fitting in the cooler line for temp sender. Probably drop my savvy skid today and start pulling the ax15 trans out. Need to install new switch in my 241 and solder a new plug on the loom so my 4x4 switch will work again. Need to modify the reverse circuit and no start circuit so it will work with the aw4 also. After install might need to use your or fred welder to modify the TC mount because it isnt going to work any more. Might wait till after the motino run and give the ax15 a last run goodbye.

Comment

Might want to wait till after Motino, since you know there will be some gremlins to address. Did Fred stretch the front of Betsy yet?

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                        Might want to wait till after Motino, since you know there will be some gremlins to address. Did Fred stretch the front of Betsy yet?
                        Not that I know of he was getting rid of the glasspack when I was over there. But he moves fast so its probably got a front stretch and a small block in it by now lol.

Comment

Working...
                        X