Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
    Tell me more about this Robert, is there any reason to think that you should do something to "burp" the air out of the system if you mount your cooler under the tub, or does it eventually work its way out on its own?
    Yours looks flat? which means the pocket that can form in the cooler is very close to the in/out. your not going to trap air in the cooler. but if you take that cooler and mount it with the in/out on the bottom, the fluid can, enter and exit the cooler without ever getting all the air trapped at the top of it pushed out.
    *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

Cliff where did you mount your temp gauge?
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
        Cliff where did you mount your temp gauge?
        Just like this (pic at bottom of page): http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4/aw-4-20.htm

Comment

Thanks Cliff.

Are you guys using 6-N or 8-N fittings and hose on your cooler lines?
          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Robert - Thanks, it is mounted flat under the tub so I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

Curtis - I used -8 which is 1/2" so that it doesn't restrict the flow through the 3/8" transmission cooler lines because of the added line length.
            [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

I have the kit form PSC for my JK. It works great. I have to keep a close eye becuse the JK trannys get really hot really fast.
              [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Don't get rid of the stick! You might a well just ride passenger at that point. :-D

(just kidding, haha!)
                [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Lawrence what fitting did you use to attach your 8-n hose (1/2") to the transmission? Having a hard time finding a 8-N to 14mm x 1.5 o-ring seal adapter. Or anyone else that might know.

Comment

While searching for the part number for that fitting. I ran into this swap thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/aw...16/index4.html that confirms my theory in front of the radiator is the best place for the cooler. This guy move his small one from underneath and noted a 30* differnce around town and toped off at 150* and the rear cooler fan never turned on. Curtis try calling G&J aircraft here in ontario.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                      Lawrence what fitting did you use to attach your 8-n hose (1/2") to the transmission? Having a hard time finding a 8-N to 14mm x 1.5 o-ring seal adapter. Or anyone else that might know.
                      I don't know the size going into the transmission port, we just cut and reused the return factory hard line and silver soldered male fittings to it.

Last edited by Lawrence; 05-09-12, 11:12 AM.
                      [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Where did you get that item that has the temp guage in it? I need to add in a temp switch to auto turn on the fan when it hits like 200 and with my setup now, I have all alum hard line on the frame going back to bulkheads thru the floor and then go to -6 up to the cooler in the rear window area. That tap fitting would work out nice I think.

As for in front or in the rear.

In the front and trail ridding, you will Not get much air flow thru it. And if you run only one cooler, and its mounted in front of the radiator, say 1" infront on a bracket, and only about what .25" of the area of the radiator, how much airflow do you think its really going to get pulled thru by the fan? If you look a the physics of it, I would guess about 15% if that, of the fans rated air flow. Mix that with a slow spinning fan on the trail, and your looking at about 200cfm IF that.

I would never trust it as my primary and only trans cooler, but thats just me. I figure a 250$ trans cooler to make me feel warm and fuzzy and KNOW that it will never over heat my trans, is well worth the $ spent. Expecially if it keeps me from having to stop on the trail and wait out it to cool down.

I did ALL this with the fan off. Just the cooler, but I do have my cooler mounted in the rear window area, and of course no glass. but this is with No forced air flow. When I am really on the converter (sand, slow vertical climbs, etc) I flip it on. Hoping to get a auto temp switch wired in, so it turns itself on at around 200 though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=zsXkP3zhFZs

Comment

Originally posted by ROBERTK View Post
                          Where did you get that item that has the temp guage in it? I need to add in a temp switch to auto turn on the fan when it hits like 200 and with my setup now, I have all alum hard line on the frame going back to bulkheads thru the floor and then go to -6 up to the cooler in the rear window area. That tap fitting would work out nice I think.
                          It's just an inline fan thermostat like this one without the hose-barb adapters, or you can get the fancy version if you prefer. You can order it through Summit, Jegs, etrailer, etc...

Comment

I will go ahead and explain my thinking and answer some of these questions:

As for in front or in the rear.

In the front and trail ridding, you will Not get much air flow thru it. And if you run only one cooler, and its mounted in front of the radiator, say 1" infront on a bracket, and only about what .25" of the area of the radiator, how much airflow do you think its really going to get pulled thru by the fan? If you look a the physics of it, I would guess about 15% if that, of the fans rated air flow. Mix that with a slow spinning fan on the trail, and your looking at about 200cfm IF that.
                            You probably are pretty close but still the amount of constant cool air flowing through it is way more than a fan shrouded cooler put in the back with the fan turned off. There is no debating that. I am not sure the cfm rating on your fan but alot of the small fans on these coolers are not rated much more than 400 cfm. I thought I read somewhere the stock fan rated airflow is over 6000 cfm @ 2200rpm so 15% of that is 900cfm all the time. The only way the rear cooler is going to beat or even keep up is if the electric fan is on all the time and that only if its a stacked plate design. The nice thing about a fan clutch is it's variable and will speed up the fan when the temp gets hotter and slip when they are cooler.

I would never trust it as my primary and only trans cooler, but thats just me. I figure a 250$ trans cooler to make me feel warm and fuzzy and KNOW that it will never over heat my trans, is well worth the $ spent. Expecially if it keeps me from having to stop on the trail and wait out it to cool down.

I did ALL this with the fan off. Just the cooler, but I do have my cooler mounted in the rear window area, and of course no glass. but this is with No forced air flow. When I am really on the converter (sand, slow vertical climbs, etc) I flip it on. Hoping to get a auto temp switch wired in, so it turns itself on at around 200 though...
                            Alot of transmissions only have the one single cooler in the radiator tank and last over 100,000 of miles with just that. My duramax diesel has the stock cooler and that trans NEVER sees 200* even towing a 10,000# trailer. In my opinion 200* is allready borderline too hot and shooting for 175* peak temp is more likely to keep your trans happy. I believe the trans fan & cooler kits come with a 175* switch. Dont be afraid to turn that fan on because it isn't cooling the fliud unless you do.
                            Last edited by Jeeperator; 05-09-12, 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

It's just an inline fan thermostat like this one without the hose-barb adapters, or you can get the fancy version if you prefer. You can order it through Summit, Jegs, etrailer, etc...

Just ordered the "fancy" one.
                              Thanks!

Jeeperator.. well as long as the trans is cooled.

Comment

Just ordered the "fancy" one.
                                Big spender!

Comment

Working...
                                X