Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans cooler

Any of you guys using a remote trans cooler? And if so what do recommend? I'm swapping in a AW4 auto and getting rid of the stinking NV3500. hehe
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

The AW4 is basically the same as my A340 in my Toyota with minimal differences. I am running a Trans-cool 4589 low pressure drop cooler. Since you are using for trail and low speed I suggest one rated for a 24k GVWR vehicle and possibly one with a fan. I am trying to remember the B&M one that the other guys are running. The below link is to a usefull guide on choosing the right size cooler and installation method.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...de=cooler-info

Comment

Thinking of this one

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-13950/
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Something to think about Curtis is that is a tube and fin type unit which without the fan is supposedly 33% less efficient than a stacked plate design. I am sure the fan helps it be as or more efficient but if I was getting a faned unit Id get a faned stacked plate unit over the tube type. I know Ive seen them for less money too.

Comment

Ok how about this?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70298/

Comment

Pricey but id rather have that one, I am sure there is a cheaper version out there. Mine is rated at 30,000 gvw and cost $50 shiped. There is no fan but the one attached to my engine is always turning so id just use that one. Freddys is up front and hes says his trans rarely gets over 160* His cooler is pretty big though.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
              I have a similar one mounted under the tub and I want to believe that it does its job, but my lazy arse never got around to hooking up a temp gauge. It is hooked up to a 170* thermostat that kicks the fan on when needed, and also a master defeat switch in case of water crossing or whatnot.

The only thing I wished I had done at the time was to hook up a remote transmission filter similar to this. Folks have mounted them either in the engine bay or on the t-case skid and it is pretty slick.

[COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Beau I don't think Fred's trans gets as hot as the AW4 does.

Comment

Well considering his 1800 stall compared to a 2100-2500 stall the aw4 supposedly has, probably not. His trans only locks the converter in OD or 4th gear so pulling a steep incline in 3rd gear would be the biggest heat maker. I researched it and figure the $50 cooler should be enough for me especially if it mounted in front of the radiator where the freshest coolest air is. If not I will add a small $50 fan in front of it on a temp switch. I like the idea of a remote filter that would add atleast a quart to the capacity and help with cooling also.

Comment

If I didn't have this in front of my radiator.

I would probably use something like yours. But I do not want to block the air flow any more.

Comment

Is that a flux capaciter LOL. I dont like those type of coolers they block airflow where the plate and tube type still let air flow by. I dont even have a ps pump cooler I am just running royal puple synthetic oil. Funny thing is when I took that front currie winch bar off with the bumper I noticed my radiator temps definatly went down. That bar must of been blocking airflow bigtime.Probably goin to mount mine on the 2 support bars going down like a V.

Comment

It's called a Heat sink. Wait till you see how much the temp goes up going up cajon after install.

Comment

Ill be going up with torque converter locked in 3rd gear. Trans should not make hardly any heat when its tc is locked. I think that 3 row brass radiator needs to be replaced with an all aluminum 1 or 2 row.

Comment

This might work for both.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-15902/

Or this

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motors...al-cooler.html
                            Last edited by curtis; 05-04-12, 06:17 AM.

Comment

I'm using this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70270/ It's mounted down low on the radiator. You could raise that PS cooler. I have the same one but mounted it under the front fender.
                              Check out .

Comment

Working...
                              X