Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HotRodOil.com View Post
    The trail signs are still in place and the routes were open when I was up there a couple weeks ago.
    Are you are talking about signs for Pontiac Sluice and Heartbreak Ridge. In the last 7 years or so that I have been in that area I have never seen any Designated Vehicle Route (DVR) signs indicating a trail number or trail name for either PS or HR. Only 2N61Y has a DVR sign.

The trail is closed (probably forever) but there isn't any gate closing the trails and the forest service staff isn't patrolling the area.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
      Are you are talking about signs for Pontiac Sluice and Heartbreak Ridge. In the last 7 years or so that I have been in that area I have never seen any Designated Vehicle Route (DVR) signs indicating a trail number or trail name for either PS or HR. Only 2N61Y has a DVR sign.

The trail is closed (probably forever) but there isn't any gate closing the trails and the forest service staff isn't patrolling the area.

That is probably the sign I am referring to. We just ran it a couple weekends ago and A few from our group dropped down into that canyon from 2n02 to run Whatever trails they found. They commented on fiding the Pontiac and that it was a nice trail w/ a couple obstacles to do so I assume it was the right route and not blocked. any chance this is one of those "rumor" closures to just keep traffic off of it? It seems that a lot of the locals up there do not belive it is closed AND/OR just run it regardless. I do not want to run trails that I shouldn't be on for fear of any problems trickling over into the good, open trails but I sure would like to see what I am missing. Ugh. Stupid closed (or possibly closed) trails!!

Anyhow, I am pretty darn sure I will be there as long as I don't have any problems between now and then.
      I will plan on meeting up w/ whomever at about 0700-ish at the Chevron at the 247/18 junction.

BTW, There is a group from the Big Bear 4 wheelers club meeting to run RS the same time. Anyone here familiar w/ those guys or a member? I Am both.

Comment

Another club huh???

wow, cool. Do they know we are going too?

Funny thing, I was looking through my mapping software of the area and there is a place on the route called "Two Hole Spring"....huh, imagine that, a guy named Nipple Twister going to a place called "Two Hole":omg::tongue:.....sorry, I aplogize......:censor:
        John & Kristi

Comment

Lol!!!

Comment

I just got a pm from TDS SD (George) from San Diego- he os coming too, so it looks like we got 4 or 5 now? That's a good number.

Comment

Burchie is no newb, I know that guy!! LOL!

Thanks for the warm welcome. See you all at the trail head.
              -Burchie
              LOST JEEPS So Cal President

Comment

please don't count me in on the run, I was just giving you guys a heads up about the trail and weather. if i decide to tag along later in the week i will let you know in advance.

have fun, this is a very scenic trail that passes through a rarely seen area.
                03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Hey guys. I'm a little confused. This trail connects with the 247 in 2 places. I think Twister is talking about running the southern part. And Hotrod is talking about the northern part, because he mentioned a right turn at 2n02.

Here. I have maps.

-Burchie

Comment

We are all running from the 247 up to 2N02 then a rght turn onto 2N02 and up to BB. Sheesh Burch get it straight man!

Comment

... It seems that a lot of the locals up there do not belive it is closed AND/OR just run it regardless. I do not want to run trails that I shouldn't be on for fear of any problems trickling over into the good, open trails but I sure would like to see what I am missing. Ugh. Stupid closed (or possibly closed) trails!! ...
                      We are in the process of confirming its closure. Please do not run the trail, for the reasons you stated.

We're waiting for OldFart to post up the final word on it, as he his our liaison with the SBNF.

Tam
                      2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                      Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

We are all running from the 247 up to 2N02 then a rght turn onto 2N02 and up to BB. Sheesh Burch get it straight man!
                        Don;t mind me. I'm just L.O.S.T.
                        -Burchie

Comment

Starting point.....

....is the location shown on the map above where is says "Start Here":bonk:
                          John & Kristi

Comment

Start

The road leading to the ranch house (01) is where we go off 247. I will try to be there no latter then 8:15. Leaving Poway around 5.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post
                              We are in the process of confirming its closure. Please do not run the trail, for the reasons you stated.

We're waiting for OldFart to post up the final word on it, as he his our liaison with the SBNF.

Tam

As I was instructed NOT to write a Maintenance Plan for either Heartbreak Ridge or Pontiac - I would consider them closed.

As Doug (FishyPoet) stated - no DVR sign.
                              Jeff
                              OHV76V
                              KG6TY
                              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Closed routes

Ok, we'll try and mind our tracks, thanks for the info. For future reference, I have been riding and wheeling in So Ca deserts since the late 70's and have been a supporter of Tread Lightly and have been aware of trail closures by some sort of signage, if the trail is not marked what would be the best manner in knowing?:dunno:
                                John & Kristi

Comment

Working...
                                X