Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A "wave" question

Now when I got my jeep, my hubby told me its good jeep karma to wave at other jeeps. Well, I do this and I would say out of like 10 jeeps, I get like 3 waves back...do these people just not get it? And I noticed that girl jeepers dont wave back to other girl jeepers!! :confused: And does it have to be a wave? Couldnt I like, do a thumbs up out of the window?
    *Silly Boys....Jeeps are for girls!!*

Most girls here don't wave either. I only usually wave at the really big trail rigs. And if I'm in Rick's Jeep they wave back
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I wave at most jeeps, normally get them back from almost all CJ's,if they are modified YJ's I will get a wave here and there, only gotten like 10 waves from TJ's.And I dont even try to wave to the KJ's!It's a lost cause.

Comment

Hmmm well I usually wave at CJs, YJs, and TJs, regardless of modifications and such. Is that the deal....that only CJ-ers or TJ-ers wave to others of the same?

Comment

No, most people just dont understand.Just keep waving and dont forget to smile!

Comment

The "Jeep Wave", well it's historic. The Wave is a friendly acknowledgement of others driving the same vehicle. Similar to those who ride Harleys and wave to each other. There may even be some ties between the waves, since the GIs coming home from WWII started the Harley and Jeep craze when they got home.

The simple rule is: ALWAYS Wave, and ALWAYS return the wave.

IF, you want to get more technical, check out this site; http://webpages.marshall.edu/~meadow27/rules.html

Or do a simple search on Google, using "Jeep Wave". You will get over 10 pages of hits. Lots of write ups out there, and theories on how and when and why to do it.

Like I said, keep it simple, be the first to wave, and always wave.

I'm glad that your husband made sure you know about the wave. The more who know, the longer it will live on.

Erik

Comment

The proportion of returned Jeep Waves is higher in months without the letter R in them. This corresponds directly with driving with the soft top down and better visualization of the waver's hands.

Furthermore, stock Jeeps return waves less often.

Due to crummy traffic conditions, I often have to keep my eyes on the road and hands on the wheel, so I let my tags do the waving for me
              Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
              2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

I follow a simple rule. If i see a built jeep i'll toss up a wave, if it's a stocker i'll only return a wave if one is offerer.

I don't consider it a "built is better" thing i've just found that alot of stock jeeps aren't into the "jeep thing" where built rigs usually are.
                [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
                AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
                15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
                33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
                FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
                Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
                RE Hand Throttle
                Optima Red Top
                K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

DEADGURL, let me help you with this... actually, there is a rule book for this wave thing, but i have my own thing that gets me through the day with the jeep waves. rather than waving at the people driving the jeeps, and being disappointed when you dont get a wave back. what i do, and will recommend to you is this: you wave at the "jeep". you can watch the driver of the other jeep to see if he/she waves back at your "jeep" but it isnt a requirement.
                  i wave at all built up rigs, and most non built up jeep tj, yj, and cj's. i hope this will help you in your quest to carry on the "jeepwave " tradition.
                  here is some more info on the "wave"
                  http://www.myjeeprocks.com/feature/jeepwave.php
                  http://www.jeeptalk.org/jeep_wave.shtml
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

well Deadgurl, I have experienced the same ratio of wave to non-wave. I have been jeep'n for many years and what i do when someone doesnt wave back, is pull a U-turn hunt there asses down and take em to school on the wave.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoked
                      ... hunt there asses down and take em to school on the wave.
                      ABSOLUTELY!

Actually...I wave at everyone...CJ, YJ, TJ...And some built XJ's. And you're correct...most girls dont wave back. I still can't figure that one out.

My rule of thumb is: No top, wave out the top; No doors, wave out the door; otherwise I either roll the window down (full wave )or lift my hand off the steeringwheel ...(a four finger wave) AND if they DONT wave back...THEY GET THE ONE FINGER WAVE:p!!!

There you have it...JeepGals School O'Wave.

Tam
                      2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                      Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

[QUOTE]i've just found that alot of stock jeeps aren't into the "jeep thing" where built rigs usually are.[QUOTE]

Well I really dont think thats true...I mean I am going to modify my stock jeep, eventually, when I get the money...so in the meantime, I don't get waved back at because its stock?? I mean thats just what I got out of that sentence, so I could be taking that wrong.....

JeepGal...glad to see I am not the only girl jeeper out there who thinks its odd that girls dont wave back. I dont care if its stock or a YJ on 35s or what have you...I see a jeep...I wave at em!!

Comment

I try to wave at all Jeeps or at least the short wheel base jeeps
                          As to why women don't wave as much: I believe that as a demographic, the 18-50 female group will tend to be less trail oriented and more inclined to go to the mall or the park. I keep waving anyway. Hopefully some will get curious and try to find out why they keep getting waved at, which could lead to the finding out what a Jeep is and what in can do. which will lead to the inevitable off-road experience and conversion of another jeep-a-holic
                          It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
                          and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Originally posted by PondScum
                            if it's a stocker i'll only return a wave if one is offerer.

I don't consider it a "built is better" thing i've just found that alot of stock jeeps aren't into the "jeep thing" where built rigs usually are.
                            Deadgurl,

Hope that makes more sense to you. I know there are people with stock jeeps that plan to modify them i was one of those people when i first got my jeep. As i said above i return waves from anyone that offers them i just don't initiate a wave unless it's a modified jeep.
                            [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
                            AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
                            15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
                            33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
                            FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
                            Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
                            RE Hand Throttle
                            Optima Red Top
                            K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

I think it may have to do with whether someone "taught" you to do it. When I bought my Jeep, my buddy (a lifetime jeep owner himself), told me to wave...at first I thought he was joking. I waved a few times...and was suprised when people waved back.

I think folk selling a Jeep (dealer and private party alike...) need to have folks sign a "Waver waiver"

Its our responsibility to keep the Jeep Wave going...thats why I wave at stock Jeeps...all Jeeps are stock once, and how else will they know to wave?

Tam
                              2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                              Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Working...
                              X