Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part 2 - Dishpan Springs (2N34)

If Dishpan Springs Trail (2N34) were a freeway, a SIGALERT would have been declared about noon on Saturday. After completing 2N17X and the Pilot Rock (2N33) trail, our group of seven Jeeps had made our way up the Dishpan Springs Trail and was at the last major obstacle before the end of the trail (and our lunch stop) when Craig’s engine stalled in the middle of the obstacle and he could not get it started because the starter would not work.

A group of Toyotas attempted to get around Craig’s Willys, and the second vehicle in their group bent a tie rod. The trail was completely blocked.

Meanwhile, at the base of the obstacle, Paul’s (Paul B) engine was running extremely rough and misfiring and Jesse’s (Kodiak Spirit) engine would not run at all; a total of four disabled vehicles on or near the obstacle at the same time.

After a cool down period, Craig restarted his Willys. Paul determined that the problem was due to inadequate fuel pressure, and he changed his electric fuel pump (he carried a spare), and soaked himself with gasoline in the process. The Toyota group pulled the tie rod, straightened it, and drove the vehicle back down off the obstacle. After a lot of troubleshooting, Jesse cleaned and re-seated the electrical connector for his fuel pump, and his engine ran fine. While all the repairs were going on, a Dodge Ram pickup went up the obstacle and got stuck. Paul strapped him up the obstacle to clear the trail.

After the trail was cleared, the rest of the group went up. Julie (Desert Jewel) made it look easy:

Dennis took a slightly different line, and had a harder time.

I tried to take the same line that Julie did, but I slipped off the rock, and you can see from Mitch’s photo in the earlier post what happened to me. It shows how a few inches in the line one takes will make the difference between success and failure.

If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

Great stuff! Too bad about the carnage and mechanical difficulties. I'm not too surprised to hear about the traffic jam at the dry falls though. I run into that often at that point in the trail.

Nice pics and post. I hope everyone had fun.
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

That was a great read.. and great pics/video. You guys, and gals, really have quite a playground down there. I will have to plan a road trip one day...

Comment

Great trip report! I was thinking that Dodge was about to roll over on tow! I really enjoy these videos. What are you using to shoot them, and how much time does it take to rip em down, edit, and upload? I've been a camera guy for a while and stayed away from moving pictures thus far, but these are really fun and tell the story well.
          Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
            ...I really enjoy these videos. What are you using to shoot them, and how much time does it take to rip em down, edit, and upload? I've been a camera guy for a while and stayed away from moving pictures thus far, but these are really fun and tell the story well.
            Nathan, I posted my camera report in the MJR electronics section. http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...2212#post82212
            If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
            KI6MLU

Comment

Working...
            X