Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridge Route Trail Report

The meeting place was the Carl’s Jr. restaurant in Gorman. We had excellent MJR participation in the restoration effort: Brian (BlkTJ), Sarah (Sarah), Rick (Rick), Chris (Dukes69), Tammy (Jeep Gal), Kurt (Rat Patrol), Dennis (Deamer), John (Cohuhol), Jason (Jason) and two of his sons, and myself (Russ Chung).

The plan was to spend the morning removing rocks that had fallen on the pavement during the winter, and filling in potholes until we got to the locked gate at the ruins of the Tumble Inn. We would stop there for lunch, and then after lunch, the organizers would let us through the gate and assign us culverts to clean out along the closed portion of the road.

The starting point was about seven miles southeast of Gorman, at the end of the county maintained portion of the road/start of the Angeles National Forest portion of the road. This is the convoy to the starting point:

As we reached areas of the road that needed work, a few vehicles would stop and begin the clean up, while the rest of us would continue to the next section of the road needing work.

Due to winter storm damage in 2005, the road is closed between the site of Tumble Inn to a point just north of Templin Highway. Forest Service repair crews plan to work on repairing this portion of the road this summer:

John (Cohuhol), Brian (Black TJ) and I were among the first to reach the site of the Tumble Inn:

There are a number of interpretive signs with historic photos that have been placed along the route.:

Jason and his sons are examining the ruins of the Tumble Inn while Kurt (in the brown MJR T-shirt) is looking for a rattlesnake that was reported to be in the area (he didn’t find it). Jason is standing where the arch was depicted in the historic photo.

Last edited by Russ Chung; 03-18-07, 12:08 PM.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Trip Report, part 2

After lunch, before working on the culverts, the organizers led a short tour of the closed section of the road. We went to a hill overlooking Pyramid lake:

From the hill, we could see the old Ridge Route continuing southeast toward Castaic

In this photo, we could see the old Hwy 99 (right side of photo), I-5 (left) and a portion of the old Ridge Route (on the nearby hill in the center):

After the tour, we went to work cleaning out the drainage culverts that were assigned to our group. The culverts were buried in several feet of dirt, and although we could see the drain on the downhill side of the road, we were unable to find the uphill side of the drain. From left to right, Jason’s son (I don’t remember his name), Jason, Kurt, and Rick:

We had to abandon our attempt to clean out the culverts as each group was told to return to the gate by 3:30 pm so that the organizers could let us out. Dennis (Deamer) and Jason (Jason) and his boys returned home, while the rest of us when to Brian’s (BlKTJ) place in Santa Clarita for a swim and dinner at Wood Ranch restaurant.
    Last edited by Russ Chung; 03-18-07, 11:57 AM.
    KI6MLU

Comment

A big thanks to everyone who came out and helped, it was really a very enjoyable day. neat old road with some interesting history. I look forward to when we can take a drive on the whole thing.

more work days like these are planned for the coming months. I'll post reminders for them as the dates approach.

also thanks to all the folks who stopped by afterwords to help me perfect my green beer recipe. :yay: The hot tub, although a bit foamy, is usable again. :thumbs_up

FYI... keep your eyes open for a fault line tour coming to a socal vicinity near you... :yay:
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

also, if anyone would like Carl's email address, let me know.
        myJeeprocks.com

Comment

thats awesome! great work guys! If I were at home I would have tried to make it up. IS there any way we could do something similar to this for Miller jeep trail? I would love to be able to run Miller in the Spring time.
          [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
            thats awesome! great work guys! If I were at home I would have tried to make it up. IS there any way we could do something similar to this for Miller jeep trail? I would love to be able to run Miller in the Spring time.
            Miller will be closed for a long time. Possibly years. Too much fire damage in the area.
            1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

i was sorry to miss this, i have a huge deadline for work on friday and was working all day last saturday otherwise i would have been there to help. brian, keep us posted i will definitely sign up for these in the future...
              03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
                Miller will be closed for a long time. Possibly years. Too much fire damage in the area.
                <:mad:> that sux!
                -Bob
                '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Anyone going to this weekend's Ridge Route work day?

I got this e-mail from Carl Marsee (Ridge Route Preservation Organization):

RIDGE ROUTE UPDATE
                  April 21, 2007

WORKDAY
                  The March workday was a great success. We had 38 volunteers from all over Southern California. Our next workday is Saturday, April 21, 2007. The area we will be working will be between the Tumble Inn and the Kelly’s Halfway House site. We will be performing three types of work:
                  (1) Removing rocks that have fallen onto the road during the last few storms.
                  (2) Placing markers at the drains we have already cleaned out.
                  (3) Finding new drains and cleaning them out.
                  Please bring appropriate tools and a sack lunch. Our Porta-potty Princess will be on duty. We will meet at CARL JR’S in Gorman at 9:00 a.m.
                  KI6MLU

Comment

I'll go if anyone else wants to.

Comment

It will be a last minute decision for me. Depends on how late I work Friday.
                      myJeeprocks.com

Comment

I won't be able to go this time. But Carl has my email so... If you go be careful.
                        Kurt
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

We won't make it. Rick's working on his engine this weekend. Maybe next time.
                          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I can't make this weekend either. First weekend home in about a month. My yard/house/heep all need some tlc.

Comment

Looks like I am going to hit the dunes in Pismo instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X