Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
    Fair enough. I deleted mine as well for the same reasons. If you drink, the beer's on me, if you don't, I'm buying the coffee.
    Anytime your out this way.

Comment

very nice!
      self moderation.. i appreciate that. :yay:
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by steelman View Post

Steelman! You are to funny dude!
        Drew
        95yj Six Pack

Comment

i was doing the same thing as steelman, had the popcorn out, loved the posts, so knowledgeable, and really well written, which is surprising on the internet, usually on any other forum the argument would have ended with hurt feelings, not comraderie. good job guys, thanks for keeping me entertained for a few nights, and keepin it civil.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
            Which tie rod?
            like stock or currie? either one really.

It just doesnt seem right to bend the tie rod back while its on the axle. Wouldnt thins put a lot of force on the TRE and possibly break them? Just curious to know if there is any "easy"way to bend them back. I have a stock spair but it has a couple bends to it.
            [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
              like stock or currie? either one really.

It just doesnt seem right to bend the tie rod back while its on the axle. Wouldnt thins put a lot of force on the TRE and possibly break them? Just curious to know if there is any "easy"way to bend them back. I have a stock spair but it has a couple bends to it.

The stock tubular tie rods will not work after they have been bent or even bowed slightly. They will fail under load every time, even if you straighten it perfectly. That's one of the drawbacks of tubular vs solid. Solid is much more forgiving to being straightened and re-used with no issues.

Like you, I'm not a fan of straightening them on the rig. I look at it this way. The TRE only has so much life in it at X amount of load. We abuse them by bending the tie rod in the first place, why shorten the life by bending it back when it's so easy to remove and toss in a shop press?

The Currie tie rod, you just toss it across a couple of support blocks on the press bed and bend it back. Bring the post down and roll the rod around and you can see the high spot. Mash the high spot, over bend it slightly and it will come back straight.

Coincidentally- I bent a rear axle pretty good by dropping the tire in a crack that angled left. Right as it dropped in, I turned right and wedged the rim instantly. Just the slightest amount of throttle blew up the CV and bent the axle.

I took it up to Superior on one of my trips up there and they handed it to their axle straightener. He rolled it and kept mashing the high spots until it ran true again. The reason they have an axle straightener is because most heat treated solid stuff warps when you heat and cool it.

The point is that axles, like the Currie tie rod are both solid and if the axles are straightened before you ever get to run them, straightening out a few tweaks here and there in a solid tie rod shouldn't bother you either.
              I am Savvy.

Comment

Sheese, I go away for a couple days and look what I come back to.

Blain, you're an ass. End of story. I don't care to debate with an ass, so I'll leave you alone from now on. Welcome to my ignore list.
                '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

hahahaha

well thanks for the info about the tie rod
                  [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by peteyg View Post
                    Sheese, I go away for a couple days and look what I come back to.

Blain, you're an ass. End of story. I don't care to debate with an ass, so I'll leave you alone from now on. Welcome to my ignore list.
                    There is no debate on whether or not the tie rod from the Currie kit is solid. I'm sorry that makes me an ass, but you need to check your facts before you run your mouth.

But you are right about one thing. I am an ass, been one for a very long time and I'm surprised that you have been this slow about figuring that out.

Be that as it may, the tie rod is still not .120 wall dom.
                    I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by scherf68 View Post
                      Cool, I see steelman has the popcorn out. You still have those 2 inch coils or have you grown up like mine has steelman.
                      Still runnin 'em. Guess I have to hold on to the faith that my heep will grow up someday!
                      -Bob
                      '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Still runnin 'em. Guess I have to hold on to the faith that my heep will grow up someday!
                        I am glad you are happy with them, I went nuts with the heep after you picked them up. Don't even want to think about the money spent.

Comment

I agree with Drew. Bob.... your the best!!
                          Learning things left and right here.
                          "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                          (Charles Wells)

Comment

Working...
                          X