Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post

No, the kit is not hollow. It is solid chromolly and heat treated enough so that it's tough enough to bend and flex without being brittle enough that it breaks doing so.

That's not quite true.

The drag link is solid, true, but the tie rod is just .120 wall DOM. I know, because I had that POS Currie crap system on my Jeep and bent that stupid tie rod on the very first trip out with it (on Holcomb Creek, of all the stupid places to bend a tie rod). EVERYONE I know who has that kit has bent the tie rod. I'm am not a huge fan of Currie. But...

The drag link is the epitomy of strength. We have found that the best solution is to have the Currie drag link and the Poison Spyder tie rod. that combo is damn near indestructible.
    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Originally posted by peteyg View Post
      That's not quite true.

The drag link is solid, true, but the tie rod is just .120 wall DOM. I know, because I had that POS Currie crap system on my Jeep and bent that stupid tie rod on the very first trip out with it (on Holcomb Creek, of all the stupid places to bend a tie rod). EVERYONE I know who has that kit has bent the tie rod. I'm am not a huge fan of Currie. But...

The drag link is the epitomy of strength. We have found that the best solution is to have the Currie drag link and the Poison Spyder tie rod. that combo is damn near indestructible.
      We can do this the easy way. I'll bet you the cost of the HD system from Currie that the tie rod for their HD replacement steering has always been solid.

I've been around the system since it's inception and have been well informed through being around it at the shop and my own personal use as well as installing over 30 different sets of all 3 generations of it, that the tie rod is not tube and never has been.

If you had one that was tubular, it was not supplied by Currie for their HD system.
      I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ View Post
        I bend mine up all the time. then I straighten it. then I bend it up again. then I straighten it again. :yay:
        YUP! M2
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

So far, so good. My winch did a fine job getting the tierod straight. Put a driveway alinement and went wheeling. So what do you guys think the measurement should be between toe and heal when you have 37's.

Jesse,

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
            We can do this the easy way. I'll bet you the cost of the HD system from Currie that the tie rod for their HD replacement steering has always been solid.

I've been around the system since it's inception and have been well informed through being around it at the shop and my own personal use as well as installing over 30 different sets of all 3 generations of it, that the tie rod is not tube and never has been.

If you had one that was tubular, it was not supplied by Currie for their HD system.
            Great. Cut yours in half and take a pic. I got rid of that POS steering system a year ago and have never been happier (happier, even, than when I got rid of my Anti-Rock). I have seen several people have the exact same problem with their "HD" steering systems.

And I bought the system brand new in the box. It was stamped Currie. When I sold it, the tie rod was shaped like an "S". Solid doesn't bend that way, and if it did, I would suggest that Currie start doing it a different way, 'cause the way they do it now sucks. This is from real world use. Everything I have from Currie has bent. I used to REALLY be on the Currie bandwagon until I actually started using their crap. I can't even begin to tell you how much I dislike Currie products. I will never recommend them to anyone, and actively steer people away from them whenever I can.

But if you're happy with your's, then more power to ya. Enjoy it in good health.
            '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Originally posted by peteyg View Post
              Great. Cut yours in half and take a pic.
              Put your money where your mouth is and I'll cut it in half in a heartbeat. I'll even fire up the chopsaw and let you do it.

I got rid of that POS steering system a year ago and have never been happier (happier, even, than when I got rid of my Anti-Rock). I have seen several people have the exact same problem with their "HD" steering systems.
              I don't doubt that some folks can't drive well enough to keep their stuff out of harm's way. That's not really the fault of the product though. We bend or bow them as well, but never without running them into stuff. I build my own out of heavy wall chromolly with the big high misalignment TRE's and bow it from time to time. I guess I'm either an idiot fabricator, and idiot driver or just maybe, that's the price of admission for playing in the rocks.

And I bought the system brand new in the box. It was stamped Currie. When I sold it, the tie rod was shaped like an "S". Solid doesn't bend that way, and if it did, I would suggest that Currie start doing it a different way, 'cause the way they do it now sucks.
              I get it now. You never actually measured it or pulled a TRE out to see if it was solid, you're just assuming it is because you bent it? I thought you were the professional hub installer? Do you not have, and know how to use a shop press?

This is from real world use. Everything I have from Currie has bent. I used to REALLY be on the Currie bandwagon until I actually started using their crap. I can't even begin to tell you how much I dislike Currie products. I will never recommend them to anyone, and actively steer people away from them whenever I can.

But if you're happy with your's, then more power to ya. Enjoy it in good health.
              I'm not only happy with mine, I'm pretty darn happy with the other 10 or so sets of it I wheel with on a regular basis out past the lakebed and I never worry that's it's going to be an issue on the trail.

If it were to show up as an issue, I'm more than capable of building something to replace it for everyone in our group that runs it. So far, I haven't had to and we're running the stuff that was replaced by GenII because we bought GenI. That's a pretty long time for some of those to be working in the rocks.

I also wouldn't recommend it if it didn't work. I have no need or desire to complicate my life out there by encouraging folks to use inferior products that will cause me to have to fix stuff on trail. I much more prefer to wheel instead of wrench. Wrenching is for the garage.
              I am Savvy.

Comment

Jesse..........jeep looks good !

Comment

Thanks Jason,

You will get a chance to check it out at the end of the month.

Comment

how do you guys bend your tie rod back to "stright"? heat from a torch and a vice?
                    [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
                      how do you guys bend your tie rod back to "stright"? heat from a torch and a vice?
                      Which tie rod?
                      I am Savvy.

Comment

I don't even take the parts off the jeep. I just rotate the parts so the winch can do all the work, then throw a prybar on it. Thats good enough for me. I think heat might mess up the treatment of the parts.

Jesse,

Comment

I have deleted most of my posts toward MrBlaine, not the proper place to argue, sorry if I offended anybody. Also, sorry for getting off topic.
                          Last edited by scherf68; 03-18-07, 12:29 AM. Reason: fix

Comment

-Bob
                            '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by scherf68 View Post
                              I have deleted most of my posts toward MrBlaine, not the proper place to argue, sorry if I offended anybody. Also, sorry for getting off topic. You can read MrBlaine' posts for some of my comments.
                              Fair enough. I deleted mine as well for the same reasons. If you drink, the beer's on me, if you don't, I'm buying the coffee.
                              I am Savvy.

Comment

Cool, I see steelman has the popcorn out. You still have those 2 inch coils or have you grown up like mine has steelman.

Comment

Working...
                                X