Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dec31-Jan1 Salton Sea Run- Anyone Interested?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truckhaven

Anybody getting out there early on Sta.? I usually get there around 9 AM. Try to get in around 5 hours on the trails. I've only got Sat. to play.
    George

Comment

Originally posted by TDS SD
      Anybody getting out there early on Sta.? I usually get there around 9 AM. Try to get in around 5 hours on the trails. I've only got Sat. to play.
      George
      I can be there at 9:00.
      97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
      WEB site

Comment

Truckhaven

See you Saturday. I am on 146.49 on the 2meter and channel 14 on the CB.

Comment

See you Saturday. I am on 146.49 on the 2meter and channel 14 on the CB.
          I'll meet you where the black top ends. I'll be on Cb 14.
          97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
          WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by blazair
            Looks like this [SIZED]http://www.geocities.com/deadturtlerecords/images/deadlogo3_ltgreen.gif[/SIZED](only its yellow).
            Nice.....
            Will you be mapping the bypass roads for us in TDS?

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE
              I will be up there for New Years as well. Not sure where our group is camping yet. When I get back from Iowa I will get some more info. Maybe I will see you guys down there.....
              I'll be following Supe and Fuel Rod down from South Orange County on Saturday...looking forward to it!
              Last edited by steelman; 12-28-05, 04:23 PM.
              -Bob
              '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

I'm not going to make the run this weekend. Sorry to organize and run!
                I'll look out for a trail report on MJR next week. Hope you all have a good time.

-Kirk

Comment

I plan to go on the run--if I can get myself up early enough to drive down from Los Angeles. Is the meeting point still Saturday at 9:00 am at the end of the pavement on Marina Drive a mile west of Hwy 86? Who's leading?
                  If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                  KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung
                    I plan to go on the run--if I can get myself up early enough to drive down from Los Angeles. Is the meeting point still Saturday at 9:00 am at the end of the pavement on Marina Drive a mile west of Hwy 86? Who's leading?
                    Hi Russ,
                    Its stil on at 9:00am . TDS has the experience in this area we'll get him to lead. For the LA bunch showing up later or at 9:00 channel 14 on the CB.

Anyone else know the area well?
                    97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                    WEB site

Comment

Truckhaven

I still plan on making it 9:00 AM Sat. Have you guys ever been out to the fire hydrant on top of Big Mesa. I help put it there a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung
                        The cool thing about the area is you can creepy crawl your way around for hours, but then be back in camp in 15 minutes from anywhere by taking one of the washes (sand superhighways). Its hard to get lost out there.

Sorry I can't make it. Have fun!

Comment

I still plan on making it 9:00 AM Sat. Have you guys ever been out to the fire hydrant on top of Big Mesa. I help put it there a few years ago.
                          Show us. A few years ago someone put a LA no parking sign on the top of heart attack hill...its no longer there.
                          97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                          WEB site

Comment

Truckhaven

Take you more then 15 minutes to get back to camp from Big Mesa even taking the washes. Will plan the day when we get there. Make sure to bring lunch and plenty of drinks.
                            George

Comment

First I would Like to Thank TDS (George) for the tour of the hills. George helped set up the Terra Del Sol events and trail rides. He took us on extreem with bypassed to keep on trying!

We even crossed passes with other MJR members. Looks like TJSSUPE got his winch on!

The first task at hand...Russ couldnt do it...get some lockers Russ! Russ though did a great job in all of the other trails. I even had a tough time with this!

Heres StormTroopers Wife...made it look easy!!

And the days end. Great rides lots of Fun!!

See more here!
                              http://britain.connectnet.com/Photog...231/index.html

For those still out there HAPPY NEW YEAR...BE safe!

PS Russ...get some steel rims those aluminum cost to much to fix!!
                              Last edited by Britain; 12-31-05, 10:14 PM.
                              97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                              WEB site

Comment

Truckhaven trip report

On Saturday, December 31, 2005, George Kropp (TDS SD) led a group of MJR members and friends on a run through the Truckhaven area of the Southern California desert. The area is about 90 miles east of San Diego, just west of the Salton Sea. It is an area that contains many deeply eroded desert washes; it has steep hills, tight canyons, loose sand and rocks and is crisscrossed by numerous off road trails. The Truckhaven area is the site of the annual Tierra Del Sol Desert Safari, one of the world’s largest gatherings of off road vehicles. Last year’s Desert Safari had more than 1,800 vehicles and over 5,000 participants. George is a member of the Tierra Del Sol 4 Wheel Club of San Diego, and has helped organize the Desert Safari runs for the past 18 years, so he is an expert on this area. Here is a view of the area; a number of off road clubs had set up camp in this popular area to celebrate the New Year’s weekend:

The meeting point for our run was on Marina Drive in Salton City, where the pavement ends just off of Highway 86. Pictured from right to left, George’s black YJ, Kevin (George’s friend), George, Vern (Britain), Kevin’s white Bronco, Vern’s red TJ, and my khaki TJ. The Truckhaven area is in the background.

We were joined by Steve and Nora Unwin (Stormtrooper) in a white TJ. They were accompanied by Steve’s father, Matt, accompanied by his friend, Mercer, in a white Rubicon and Steve’s friend, Mike, and Nora’s sister, Mary, in a silver Rubicon. From left to right, Matt, Mary, Mike, Steve and Mercer, who is talking to Nora (behind the wheel of the TJ).

George showed his knowledge and experience in the area by leading us on some easy trails to “warm up”, and then progressively took us on more difficult trails.

Kevin’s white Bronco, Matt’s white Rubicon, and Vern’s red TJ:

Here’s Kevin’s Bronco in a sandy wash:

Stormtrooper’s TJ:

Mike’s Rubicon:

If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                                KI6MLU

Comment

Working...
                                X