Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calico -- Saturday Nov. 5

Campout weekend and Shootzenfest up Mule Canyon Road.

Let's run Doran and Odessa on Saturday. Sunday it's Borate and Early Man Site.

I'm going up Friday afternoon, staying thru Sunday.

Post if you're into jeeps.

is this out by barstow?

never been out there yet, but I've been to JV.
    ran claw and wreckinball a while back.

can you offer a comparison?

why are all the decent trails so far out in the desert:censor:

after 2+ hrs on the freeway, I usually need to double check to make sure i still have all my fillings,,,sorry, didnt mean to

so, i just need to justify the distance.

thanks.
    Chris.
    Tires, Gears, Armor, what else do I need for the Hammers?

Comment

:devil: Gee, should we put 'em thru Doran entrance????

Comment

Claw and wrecking ball are the mildest trails in JV. I wont wheel with anyone drinking on the trail.
        The entrance to doran can be fun.
        Last edited by Chris_L; 10-31-05, 11:12 PM.
        ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
        00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
        97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_L
          I wont wheel with anyone drinking on the trail.
          call that bad grammar, I drink ONLY at camp, AFTER wheelin.

and I bet if i had a buggy on 40s i could wheel anything i want and call any ole trail mild.

'know what, forget it, its cool, this took too much effort.

I'll just delete the previous post.
          Last edited by CB87YJ; 10-31-05, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CB87YJ
            call that bad grammar, I drink ONLY at camp, AFTER wheelin.

and I bet if i had a buggy on 40s i could wheel anything i want and call any ole trail mild.

Here's some photos for you, from our gallery.
            http://www.myjeeprocks.com/jeeps/jeepcalico.php

Calico is tough, but has been done on 31's and stock. Doran entrance is a sweet obstacle, but I don't know if it would warrant the 2 hour drive. Depends on how bad you need a wheelin' fix ...

Let me know if that answers your questions
            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

thank you Sarah.
              looks like a fun trail.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_L
                Claw and wrecking ball are the mildest trails in JV.
                what about lower big johnson and aftershock??? :wink:
                myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Calico was fun! That was my first run without the hubby, but nerve wracking with two teenagers, especially one who gasps at being off camber! You'd love Doran and Odessa, I just had a problem with the first waterfall.
                  1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
                  Glad to be back in California!

Comment

king4wd2

Is that first waterfall, where you messed up your stock bumper at IDTT trip this last year?

That was a fun trip. We are all ready talking about doing it next year.

Navy-Jeepster
                    Gold Digger
                    Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
                    Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

I may come out for this one. The 5th is my b-day and I will be back from NH by then. I will see how the funds are and if I can make it I will.

Jason
                      The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed!!!!

Comment

Update from event organizer

This trip has been in the planning stages for months. I decided to go out for it last weekend since there are quite a few of my buddies going and the wife issued a kitchen pass since her folks are in town

Since the camp is quite a ways up Mule Canyon Road I wouldn't try to bring the RV in there, so I'm jeeping in and tent it for the weekend. My thoughts in posting the trip here is that if anyone wanted to come up and join us they are welcome, but especially if we could get a few jeepers that want to run Doran and Odessa on Saturday. We could meet the rest of the group at Bismark and then take in Wall Street Overlook. Final leg would be back down Odessa. They are the most fun trails in the area, quite scenic, and plenty challenging. FYI I bypass Doran entrance. It's just a little too gnarly for this jeeper :geek:

My friend Fred Rawling, the trip organizer from Long Beach, first introduced me to Calico and it's history late last year. It's a terrific area to explore. We rode the canyon trails on our dirtbikes. And I had the pleasure of running them again, this time in my then-new jeep, with 26 other jeepers from MJR in March. That was one of the most fun trips I have ever been on.

Fred had posted this update from our other offroaders web forum:

First I'd like to welcome the new members to our group. I'll share
                        the story about the groups name around the campfire Saturday night.

The weather forecast calls for highs in the low 70's and lows in the
                        mid 40's. Winds at 3-7 MPH. Cloudy for Friday night clear for the
                        rest of the weekend days and nights.

As luck would have it I will be leaving LB around 10:30AM on
                        Friday. Jeff, Scott and anyone else that wants to leave early.
                        Let's pick a meeting place and time. Perhaps at the 15 and Sierra
                        (before the pass)in the Jack in the Box parking lot.

Friday's activities: SHOOTING and exploring.
                        If interested I can give a brief History lesson about the town of
                        Borate and the Borate and Daggett RR who's right of way is directly
                        above Tomato Flats. I'd like to establish our firing line and get
                        camp set up. For those of you setting up tents, bring a rake to
                        smooth out a spot or an air mattress. The ground is pretty rocky.
                        Everyone should bring wood for the fire Friday and Saturday so we
                        don't freeze our butts off. Lunch and dinner will be FFY.

Saturday's activities: Shooting, riding, exploring.
                        Again, if interested, I can take a group to the Bismarck mine for a
                        tour under ground and a quick history lesson. For the Bismarck
                        veterans in the group, I've discovered a way to get into the other
                        side of the tunnel where that vertical shaft is at the south end of
                        the mine. I'd like to check that out.

If there are any hunters in the group I can take you to a place
                        where there are a few hundred Chucker running around but you must
                        agree to field dress a few of them for dinner and to not disclose
                        this secrete spot to anyone else. We will also hold our 3rd annual
                        pumpkin shooting contest so be sure to either save you old pumpkins
                        from tonight or pick a few up at the store this week. They should
                        be much cheaper now. Other target ideas include Tannerite and
                        Coleman propane cans with road flairs for night shooting fun.
                        Flaming pumpkins filled with gas at night should be interesting as
                        well. If anyone has ideas for other shooting games lets hear them.
                        We can also shoot some skeet so bring your shotguns and clays.

Some guys are bringing dirt bikes, quads and Jeeps so if you have
                        them bring them. That is another thing we could do.

Breakfast and lunch are FFY but dinner Sat night will be a potluck
                        for everyone. Please bring what ever you can make the best, if we
                        have 20 different kind of meat to choose from that's fine with me, I
                        hate veggies anyway. Chips, salsa, and condiment should be
                        considered if someone wants to bring some of that. I am bringing
                        the Carne Asada and a few game hens, my friend Gus is bring brats
                        (sp) and sour kraut, so be creative.

After dinner fun could include live surf and rock music by Catalina
                        Eddy (my band), a roaring fire, the drummers may circle up for a
                        short set and we'll have a short fireworks show. If anyone wants to
                        add to the activities feel free to chime in. A poker game would be
                        nice if we had a trailer or something to play in.

Sunday's activities: Shooting, exploring and camp clean up
                        Breakfast is FFY, finish off the rest of the ammo and perhaps
                        another exploration. I may also go to the Slash X for lunch since
                        it's on the way home, any and all are welcome to join me. I'll be
                        leaving around noonish. My boys are also going to help clean up
                        some of the trash and stuff before we leave as part of a Cub Scout
                        requirement they are working on. Picking up bullet casings is a
                        different story. I've learned that if you offer a little kid cash
                        they will pick up bullet casings like mad for you lol...

None of the activities are set in stone, we can plan stuff
                        accordingly to what everyone wants to do. The point is to have fun
                        and relax. I'll leave the whens and whats up to everyone else.
                        FYI, a Bismarck tour is good for 2-3 hours there are some other
                        mines and sites that are nice to explore but require OHV's to
                        access. Again you guys tell me what you want to do and we'll do
                        it.

Most if the folks bringing weapons that I've talked to are willing
                        to let others try out their toys. That goes for anything that
                        belongs to me as well. If you want to pick up some ammo here are
                        some calibers you should get. 50BMG, 308NATO, 30-06, 7.62x39, 223,
                        9mm, 38/357mag, 32 Win Spcl, 22 long rifle, 20 gauge and 12 gauge
                        shot gun. I'm planning to keep the barrels warm on several of my
                        weapons for the entire trip!

At this point I have 30 people confirmed! I have a feeling this
                        will be one of those trips that we will be talking about for years
                        to come. 3 days and counting boys!

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by CB87YJ
                          if i had a buggy on 40s i could wheel anything i want and call any ole trail mild.

Well, seeing how I have not driven my new buggy yet due to summer mods, I would not know. My TJ that I traded my buggy for could easily handle the JV trails.
                          ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
                          00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                          97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                            >snip
                            Doran entrance is a sweet obstacle, but I don't know if it would warrant the 2 hour drive.
                            >snip
                            What??
                            I've only been up there a few times but there's always a few folks running trails, exploring, and having some fun. :dunno:

Comment

Originally posted by cjdirtbiker
                              What??
                              I've only been up there a few times but there's always a few folks running trails, exploring, and having some fun. :dunno:
                              What I meant was, if that's all that is going to entertain you ... i.e. if the trail was too easy/boring – but yes you're right, Doran is a great obstacle that gathers alot of onlookers.
                              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
                              X