This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/21 Trail Run - JV or BB

I was tentavely scheduled to do a run with FUN IN THE SUN jeep club to JV Saturday. And I was trying to get Gary Webb (6Spyder) to join me. They are meeting 9am in Hesperia (Bear Valley Road) and head to to Means Dry Lake. They are going to visit Sledgehammer and Jackhammer but don't intend to run them, just watch any other visitiors. They are doing some light trails in the area.

I have not visited the Hammers yet, have heard of them through the jeep forums and through the Obvserved Trials association. The trials guys love the rocks too; you know, trials bikes?

Gary and I both have to be back to OC by 4pm so we'll cut out by 2.

Gary is doing some maintenance stuff on his jeep so he's not for sure yet.

Alternatively, I thought I would post here and see if anyone might want to join me, OR we could visit Big Bear and run 2N84 and 3N08, the Adopt-a-trail runs just for fun.

Anyone up for that? I would rather meet some folks from this group for a light trail day. Get started early and quit early. Whadda'ya say??

I'm sure I could get Gary to go along for either if he's ready. Last I looked he was on the forum....... Gary, ya' there??

Don't go to JV if you think that you can easily manage your time on the trail and get out early. I was there last weekend, and the trails are ROUGH. Plan on full days on the trail. Jack is impassable on 35's. Sledge was looking pretty rough, too. Aftershock was ok, only took about an hour and a half. Outer Limits was very rough, we only made it to the entrance before my buddy tore a hole in his oil pan.

I wouldn't call JV a good place to go for a "Light Trail Day"
    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Don't go to JV if you think that you can easily manage your time on the trail and get out early.
      This is true, but there are a few geocaches in the area that could be fun. I've had no success in finding them after a long day on the trails, one is on a mountainside, and once it got dark it was pretty impossible. The Big Bear run sounds cool, I'll have to see how our next couple of trips go before committing.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Are you going to do BB? I might be interested in hooking up for a BB run
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
          Are you going to do BB? I might be interested in hooking up for a BB run
          I haven't talked to Gary, but we're flexible. As warm as it is and going to be, BB is a great destination. I know the area pretty well from all my years of riding bikes up there.

I was going to JV because that's where the other club was going, but if you and any others from MJR want to do a little exploring up there that's cool with me.

The only thing I have holding me up this weekend is my daughters senior prom Saturday afternoon. Sunday is clear too. I have this newly built jeep that's just begging for some dirt. I even put the CB in last night, going to try and hook up the ARB tonight.

We could always run John Bull or one of the others up there as well. 2N84 is a road, but there's a pretty neat little side trail that's a little tougher, nothing bad though but there's lots of brush. We could do a little clearing I guess.

3N08 is a fun route, and it ties into the other trails up there.

Let me know what you think. Anyone esle???

Comment

Saturday is the only day free for me this weekend. BB or JV works equally well as both are in my "backyard" so to speak.
            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Damn, That sounds fun. I need to get a little more gear before I am really "trail ready". Hope I can join you guys on one of these runs soon!!!!

Comment

How is the area around the Gold Mountain trail? I'd be interested in joining ya'll. I only have to be at a b-day party @ 5p.m.!!!!

Does anybody ever do any night runs? I think that it would be fun/entertaining to run John Bull at night!
                4:1 ratio racing

Comment

I have done parts of gold mountain on 33s and open diffs. was not hard at all from what I recall.

Now a night run on John Bull might be very cool, espeically onces summer hits
                  Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                    I have done parts of gold mountain on 33s and open diffs. was not hard at all from what I recall.

Now a night run on John Bull might be very cool, espeically onces summer hits
                    How about planning a night run in June? We could meet at the Vons in downtown BB late afternoon/early evening and then hit the trail about sunset!
                    4:1 ratio racing

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW
                      How about planning a night run in June? We could meet at the Vons in downtown BB late afternoon/early evening and then hit the trail about sunset!
                      Sounds good to me. Mid-late June works best for me. Probably need to get another thread going for this.
                      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

I will be up there June 11 and 12th on a club run. if you guys are heading out there, maybe Some of us will join you guys.
                        Supe
                        97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
                        Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW
                          How is the area around the Gold Mountain trail? I'd be interested in joining ya'll. I only have to be at a b-day party @ 5p.m.!!!!

Does anybody ever do any night runs? I think that it would be fun/entertaining to run John Bull at night!
                          Hi Paul,
                          Yeah, we have to get back too.
                          I'm not familiar with Gold Mountain trail. I'll look it up in the guide book/maps and see if I can find it.

I will also call Gary tonight and post an update. If we can get four or more of us then I'm all for a BB run anywhere up there.

I really don't drive at night, I'm usually too tired by that time of the day anyway. There are enough problems that crop up in daylight, adding darkness to the mix is a little over the top for me. But if you have lighting and are prepared to sleep out under the stars if necessary, it's certainly do-able. I would hold camp down or be a rescue base station for you young and crazy guys.

Talk soon,

Comment

Chris,

I am really up for a run this Saturday so count me in 99%, might also have another interested too have to talk with him tonight.
                            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by peteyg
                              Don't go to JV if you think that you can easily manage your time on the trail and get out early. I was there last weekend, and the trails are ROUGH. Plan on full days on the trail. Jack is impassable on 35's. Sledge was looking pretty rough, too. Aftershock was ok, only took about an hour and a half. Outer Limits was very rough, we only made it to the entrance before my buddy tore a hole in his oil pan.

I wouldn't call JV a good place to go for a "Light Trail Day"
                              impassable? or difficult?
                              i have always made it through. maybe it is just the spotter.. or the dented body pannels.

i wish i could make one of these runs, but i am still putting my jeep together.
                              soon... real soon.
                              i do want to do a big bear run as well. it has been a long time.
                              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X