Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Escape from Death Valley

[COLOR="#0000FF"]In the Fall of 1849, a group of pioneers left Salt Lake City for the gold fields of California. The disaster that befell the Donner Party a couple of years before were still fresh on everyone’s mind. So instead of attempting to cross the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range in winter, they intended to follow the Old Spanish Trail, which went around the south end of the Sierra Nevadas. On Christmas Eve of 1849, some of them arrived at Travertine Springs, the source of Furnace Creek in what is now known as Death Valley.

Their oxen were weak from lack of forage and their wagons were battered and in poor shape. They too were weary and discouraged but their worst problem was not the valley that lay before them. It was the towering Panamint Mountains that stood like an impenetrable wall as far as could be seen.

From Furnace Creek, the pioneers struggled across the salt flats and attempted to pass over the Panamint Range via Warm Springs Canyon, but were unable to do so. They retreated to the valley floor and sent two young men, William Lewis Manly and John Rogers, 'over the mountain' to get supplies. Nearly a month went by as the men walked more than 300 miles to Mission San Fernando, got supplies at a ranch and trekked back. When Manly and Rogers finally arrived to the camp of the Bennett-Arcane party they found many of the group had left to find their own way out of the valley. The two families with children had patiently remained, trusting the men to save them. Only one man had perished during their long wait, but as they made their way west over the mountains, someone is said to have proclaimed "Goodbye, Death Valley," giving the valley its morbid name.
    -from a Death Valley National Park website article
    [/COLOR]

In April, 2013 a small group of Jeeps followed in the wagon tracks and footsteps of these ‘49ers in “The 2013 Escape from Death Valley Run”.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Seven drivers met at the Furnace Creek Visitor Center on Sunday, April 14. The weather was sunny and warm. From Furnace Creek, we headed south along the West Side Highway, and stopped at the memorial marking the Death Valley campsite of the 49ers.

The West Side Highway:

Historical marker near the site of ‘49ers camp:

We entered Warm Spring Canyon, inspected the open pit talc mine and stopped for lunch at the former mining camp in Warm Spring Canyon. This building is now an Adopt-a-Cabin:

Some of us hiked to the warm spring, up the hill about ¼ mile from the cabin:

After lunch, we were visited by a small herd of Desert Bighorn Sheep:

We continued up Warm Spring Canyon and entered the Butte Valley:

The Geologist’s Cabin (an Adopt-a-Cabin):

Stella’s Cabin (another Adopt-a-Cabin):

And Russell’s Camp (another Adopt-a-Cabin):

We set up camp for the night at Russell’s Camp and the Geologist’s Cabin.

While at Russell’s Camp, I changed a front driveshaft because I had noticed a clicking noise when I arrived in Death Valley the night before. This was the U-joint that was causing the noise. Three of the four end caps were dry:

(continued)
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Monday, April 15, 2013

On Monday morning, we broke camp and headed through Mengel Pass. Historians believe that the 49ers took Redlands Canyon in their escape from Death Valley, but there is no motorized vehicle route through Redlands Canyon. We took the closest Jeep trail which goes through Mengel Pass and Goler Wash:

Striped Butte and the Butte Valley from Mengel Pass:

In Goler Wash, we visited the ruins of Barker Ranch, the hideout of the notorious Manson family:

We left the Barker Ranch and continued down Goler Wash. We stopped to visit the Lotus Mine in Goler Wash:

The Goler Wash trail ended at the south end of the Panamint Valley, and we took the Fish Canyon “Escape Trail”; the trail taken by the 49ers during their escape from Death Valley. This is one of the trail markers for the Escape Trail:

Two views of the Panamint Valley from the Fish Canyon Escape Trail:

A sign marking the Escape Trail:

Looking back at the Panamint Valley from the top of Fish Canyon:

At the end of the Fish Canyon Escape Trail, we aired up and headed to Trona, CA for gas and for dinner, then we left Trona and drove through a raging dust storm to Panamint Springs Resort, where we set up our base camp for the rest of the week.

(continued)
    Last edited by Russ Chung; 04-26-13, 12:55 AM.
    KI6MLU

Comment

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tuesday was cool, cloudy and windy. We visited Wildrose Canyon, the Charcoal Kilns, Eureka Mine, Aguereberry Point and Skidoo before refueling and eating dinner at Stovepipe Wells.

Charcoal Kilns:

Eureka Mine:

Death Valley as viewed from Aguereberry Point:

After leaving we Aguereberry Point, we explored the remains of the mill at Skidoo:

Our final stop for the day was at Stovepipe Wells, where we refueled and ate dinner at the lodge before returning to Panamint Springs.

(continued)
      KI6MLU

Comment

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

On Wednesday, the weather was sunny, breezy and cool. We headed up Pleasant Canyon to Rogers Pass for a view of Death Valley from the crest of the Panamint Range. Our first stop was at the ghost town of Ballarat.

Pleasant Canyon:

Mine ruins in Pleasant Canyon:

Historical marker at Rogers Pass:

The view from Rogers Pass:

We followed the crest of the Panamint Range to South Park Overlook:

We descended a steep grade to South Park:

Looking back at the grade we had just descended:

Posing for a group photo overlooking the Butte Valley:

A view of the Butte Valley from South Park:

Equipment at an old mine in South Park:

We were unsure if the bridge in South Park Canyon had reopened to 4x4 vehicles, so instead of the usual return via South Park Canyon, we returned via Pleasant Canyon.

(continued)
        Last edited by Russ Chung; 04-26-13, 12:58 AM.
        KI6MLU

Comment

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Thursday was warm, sunny and the wind was light. We visited the ghost town of Cerro Gordo and the Salt Tram station in the Inyo Mountains. Normally, the roads to Cerro Gordo and the Salt Tram are still closed at this time of year due to snow, but the mild winter allowed us to visit these unique sites.

Our first stop was at Father Crowley Point where we had a great view of the northern part of the Panamint Valley:

We arrived in Cerro Gordo (elevation 8,000 feet) just before noon. The sun was shining but the temperature was in the 30s. The wind was light. The caretaker told us that there was snow on the ground two days prior to our visit.

The caretaker opened up some of the buildings and showed us the interiors of some of the buildings that are being restored.

After lunch, we headed along the crest of the Inyo Mountains to the remains of the Salt Tram Mountaintop station. We had a great view of the Owens Valley, the snowcapped Sierras and of Mt. Whitney from the trail:

The Salt Tram:

The Saline Valley from the Salt Tram station. The floor of the Saline Valley is 7,000 feet below the station:

The Owens valley from the Salt Tram station. The floor of the Owens Valley is 5,000 feet below the station:

After visiting the Salt Tram, we descended to Swansea, then went into Lone Pine to refuel and eat dinner. After dinner, we returned to Panamint Springs.

(continued)
          Last edited by Russ Chung; 04-26-13, 01:00 AM.
          KI6MLU

Comment

Friday, April 19, 2013

On Friday, three of the members left for home. The five remaining members took two short runs. In the morning, we visited Darwin, the koi pond, and Darwin Falls.

Darwin Cemetery:

Darwin:

Koi Pond:

Darwin Falls:

In the afternoon, we went to Lookout City where we could view the Panamint Valley:

We returned to Panamint Springs for dinner and a campfire. On Saturday morning, we broke camp and headed home.

(end of trip report)
            KI6MLU

Comment

Great report Russ. Sad to see Barker Ranch like that.
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks Russ for sharing a great report and pic's
                Dennis and Tammy
                Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Great Trip report..... I miss that area.
                  [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Great report Russ.
                    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Great report Russ. That was one great trip to some great locations. Every time I see Barker Ranch like that it disappoints. There are some great mines to explore in Darwin. Not sure if you had the opportunity.
                      Check out .

Comment

Looked like a great time Russ! I felt like I was there with your story and pics I haven't been back to Cerro Gordo in 3 years (so far for me) but I remember all the stuff you saw, Mt Whitney, and I wonder if the guy who opened up some things for you is the same guy..The salt Tram was amazing..we actually walked up on it and took some really neat pics.

I wish I had the time you do to explore!

Lorie
                        Jeep Girl

Comment

A great trip report and fantastic photos Russ!
                          Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Great report Russ. It brought back some fond memories of few times I've been through that area. Too bad I missed Barker Ranch before it was burned down but looks like there are more cabins to see. I really need to get back now that my Jeep is running. There is so much yet to see.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

Am wondering about Fish Canyon. How long did it take you to get through that portion of the run? The California Trails book I have rates that as a black diamond and states it takes several hrs to get through. Doesn't look anymore than a fire road to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X